News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

tirian

PHOTOS - The last of the original EPCOT Center signs replaced under Spaceship Earth at Gateway Gifts
Inevitable I know but still sad.
Boooooooooooo

Even if people don’t like the new signs, the old ones needed to be updated. There’s a huge difference between preserving the ideals and inspiration of the original Epcot Center and clinging onto outdated elements from the ‘80s.

For example, if Horizons and Imagination had simply been updated, they’d still be great. Instead, Disney wasted millions of dollars destroying them for lackluster replacements; yet they never changed a cheap “Golden Girls”-era sign. *shrug*

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Even if people don’t like the new signs, the old ones needed to be updated. There’s a huge difference between preserving the ideals and inspiration of the original Epcot Center and clinging onto outdated elements from the ‘80s.

For example, if Horizons and Imagination had simply been updated, they’d still be great. Instead, Disney wasted millions of dollars destroying them for lackluster replacements; yet they never changed a cheap “Golden Girls”-era sign. *shrug*
I agree. It was an original but it was also dated and ugly. Hopefully they will keep it somewhere until it becomes retro.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So what is currently in Computer Central? Im guessing that the old central control systems were broken up and put in each pavilion. That was an interesting space, based on my memories.
Central (the backstage one) became a store and work room, with a few systems still running intact. The onstage area (confusingly also known as Central)

You'd know the area when it closed as Guest Relations, a backstage corridor and Sum of All Thrills.

Figments Friend

I will confess, i was rather 'attached' to the ol' Gateway Gifts sign.
Every time i would walk through that area under Spaceship Earth, i would look at that sign and remember how this was the spot where i bought my first EPCOT Center souvenirs way back in April of 1983.
My 1982 'Official Album of EPCOT Center' and a vinyl squeeze toy serpentine shaped Figment.
I still have both to this day, prominently displayed and used every so often !
:)

I like the new signage.
A nice refresh with darker tones to make the lettering 'pop' more.
Looks good to me.

-

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
This update I'm good with. Since it really is just that. The old signs, while nostalgic, were pretty dated. And, these are simply a refresh there.

Now if that approach was taken elsewhere, we may just have a good approach to this park!

I'm going to go cry now...
This is a good take.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

PHOTOS - The last of the original EPCOT Center signs replaced under Spaceship Earth at Gateway Gifts
I’ll give them this one, it looks great. Such a tease to see all this eye candy but take the horrible changes at the same time.

Magic Feather

Central (the backstage one) became a store and work room, with a few systems still running intact. The onstage area (confusingly also known as Central)

You'd know the area when it closed as Guest Relations, a backstage corridor and Sum of All Thrills.
Where was GR before it moved into CCore/Inno East?

UNCgolf

Where was GR before it moved into CCore/Inno East?

Did they actually have a physical location or was it just through the WorldKey kiosks?

EDIT: Actually I think it was at Spaceship Earth in the same building that's currently the post-ride area. The same people that you connected to via WorldKey; you could just also visit them physically in that location.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom