Tower of Terror Basement Elevator recreation at my home

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
tenor.gif

This is the most incredible thing I have ever seen. This is my brother and I's DREAM. We built a Tower of Terror drop ride in our garage years ago for Halloween. No where near this level of artistry and production value. I WISH we had this know how and space back then. Absolutely incredible. Please make more videos!!

EricDoggett

This is so amazing! I was curious - does anyone have thoughts on where to find an elevator "sign" with all the floors on it that sits right above the elevator doors? It would be great if it was backlit somehow, but if it wasn't and was just a prop that would be great too.

Any thoughts would be appreciated - thanks!!

Eric

TJJohn12

This is so amazing! I was curious - does anyone have thoughts on where to find an elevator "sign" with all the floors on it that sits right above the elevator doors? It would be great if it was backlit somehow, but if it wasn't and was just a prop that would be great too.

Eric

The original lobby dial indicator from the DCA tower was sold at auction by Van Eaton gallery recently:

I haven't seen anyone making a replica yet, but given the measurements available on the auction site and high-quality photos, it wouldn't be terribly hard to try your had at your own. I'd check the Ceiling Medallion selection of some home improvement stores to see if you could find something similar to the center design element or sculpt your own. That should be the hardest element of the sign to reproduce - everything else is relatively straight forward.

Tower of Terror Theater

Original Poster

Eric
Here is a link to the elevator dial used in the project. We simply got an opaque sheet of plastic and put an LED strip to light it. The dial comes with numbers 1 to 13 and a "B," so it can be customized with those numbers. The linked site has alot of faux elevator things. Good luck!

P.S. The actual DCA Tower of Terror Elevator floor indicator sold for $9,000 at auction.

Last edited:

Tower of Terror Theater

Original Poster
Here is the newest props added to the Tower of Terror Theater which are still being improved and gaining functionality. First is a recreation of the Elevator Control Panel seen at the real Tower of Terror next to the elevator ride entrances and used by Disney Castmembers to control the elevator doors, ride functions (ie seatbelt lock mechanisms) and communicate with other operators. Next is a vintage 1937 Crosley model 517 radio. Both the radio and the Control Panel recreation will be motion activated and the control panel will have a timer-delay before ringing to play several clips after the handset is lifted off the hook which are coodinated with the subsequent Serling Deepfakes, and Bellhop which appear inside the elevator doors. The vintage radio will also be timer-delayed to start with a brief tuning static noise segment with the tuning dial and being moving and "tuned" by itself, prior to starting playing the music heard in the Tower of Terror Lobby. The last photo shows an actual Tower of Terror Control panel. (minus the telephone handset) that we modeled our reproduction on.

ele-98 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Tower of Terror Theater

Original Poster
Here is the newest updated show with new special effects including elevator control panel with functional phone and Hotel operator calls, lightning bolt simulation on elevator doors, and new debris/smoke effect from under elevator door as elevator crashes at basement level.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom