Any updates on Grand Floridian refurbishments?

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
There was talk a while back that one of the Bobs didn’t like the dated look of the G Flo and was pushing for a more modern upgrade. Is there any word on this or possible plans (pre or post covid)?

jmargarone27

I heard during my last trip there from a CM that all three monorail resorts are getting major room upgrades before the 50th anniversary. There are already some pics out of the Polynesian and Contemporary but nothing for GF yet. Word on the street is that they are starting to put more character influence into the deluxe resorts (i.e. rumors that Polynesian rooms will have Moana, and confirmation that Contemporary will have Incredibles influence). I am a diehard GF fan, I rarely stay anywhere else. The biggest problem for me is how the price tag does not match the level of luxury in the room. They should completely reconfigure the bathroom to include a separate tub and walk in shower. I’ve been in rooms where depending on how humid it is, the bathroom door hits the toilet seat. I think the decor style is okay for the rooms and matches the theme, but they should be brighter color wise and that bathroom configuration is awful.

EdnaMode

I heard during my last trip there from a CM that all three monorail resorts are getting major room upgrades before the 50th anniversary. There are already some pics out of the Polynesian and Contemporary but nothing for GF yet. Word on the street is that they are starting to put more character influence into the deluxe resorts (i.e. rumors that Polynesian rooms will have Moana, and confirmation that Contemporary will have Incredibles influence). I am a diehard GF fan, I rarely stay anywhere else. The biggest problem for me is how the price tag does not match the level of luxury in the room. They should completely reconfigure the bathroom to include a separate tub and walk in shower. I’ve been in rooms where depending on how humid it is, the bathroom door hits the toilet seat. I think the decor style is okay for the rooms and matches the theme, but they should be brighter color wise and that bathroom configuration is awful.

Do you have any links to the photos of the resort upgrades? I've seen the mock-up corridor at Contemporary but I'd love to see room photos if they're out there, along with any desperately-needed Polynesian upgrade photos. I love GF, too, but like the other monorail resorts, the furnishings are getting really worn and you're so right about how bad that bathroom is at GF -- the resort really needs some love!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There was talk a while back that one of the Bobs didn’t like the dated look of the G Flo and was pushing for a more modern upgrade. Is there any word on this or possible plans (pre or post covid)?
Yeah...bet that’s DOA. You also don’t want the bob’s touching those rooms.
I don’t see that as a legit possibility now...given the timeline and loss of revenue.

I echo your sentiments about the quality of the rooms...but people (ahem) pay for the rooms and overall don’t demand anything in return. That’s why they are largely the same 1988 rooms built by John stamos...with new bedspreads.

DVCakaCarlF

Yeah...bet that’s DOA. You also don’t want the bob’s touching those rooms.

I don’t see that as a legit possibility now...given the timeline and loss of revenue.

I echo your sentiments about the quality of the rooms...but people (ahem) pay for the rooms and overall don’t demand anything in return. That’s why they are largely the same 1988 rooms built by John stamos...with new bedspreads.
The NBA deal has ripped GF apart...hopefully, some of that money will help to “return” or improve the condition of the resort...there was a time that GF was the “envy” of the other resorts. Had great amenities, food was unique, entertainment was the norm.

Goofyernmost

Dated?? Wasn't the Grand Floridian designed to look like a 1920 resort for the wealthy? Wasn't that the theme? Considering when it was constructed it was built looking dated. Why would one want to change that. Originally that was the purpose of all the lights outlining the building, that was of that general era.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The NBA deal has ripped GF apart...hopefully, some of that money will help to “return” or improve the condition of the resort...there was a time that GF was the “envy” of the other resorts. Had great amenities, food was unique, entertainment was the norm.
Ehh...there is a hidden history of the GF for many years...it was notorious in how badly it was run. It’s amazing it held together for as long as it has.

But the show was better...no doubt.
Dated?? Wasn't the Grand Floridian designed to look like a 1920 resort for the wealthy? Wasn't that the theme? Considering when it was constructed it was built looking dated. Why would one want to change that. Originally that was the purpose of all the lights outlining the building, that was of that general era.
This just in: themes cost more...so strip them out and tell people that’s what they want. 👍🏻

nickys

Premium Member
Can you elaborate on these “rumours”? Like are they from a reputable insider or blog site?

The Incredibles room at the Contemporary, along with the rumor of The Wave re-do was a while ago and I thought it was dead, shot down by an insider here. I haven’t seen any pictures of the Poly.

I doubt that will be happening anytime soon. I know the WL room refurb is underway but no IP being put in there AFAIK.

HarperRose

Ehh...there is a hidden history of the GF for many years...it was notorious in how badly it was run. It’s amazing it held together for as long as it has.

But the show was better...no doubt.

This just in: themes cost more...so strip them out and tell people that’s what they want. 👍🏻
Every time they reno a resort, it ends up looking like a generic Holiday Inn.

HarperRose

Can you elaborate on these “rumours”? Like are they from a reputable insider or blog site?

The Incredibles room at the Contemporary, along with the rumor of The Wave re-do was a while ago and I thought it was dead, shot down by an insider here. I haven’t seen any pictures of the Poly.

I doubt that will be happening anytime soon. I know the WL room refurb is underway but no IP being put in there AFAIK.
I remember seeing pictures of the Incredibles images being on a hallway wall outside a room at CR, but I think it was taken down soon after.

COrunner

Having stayed at the Poly last year I can see a refresh of the bathrooms, the main room itself was fine and fit the theme. I'm not sure what they would change.

Same with GF. Haven't been there outside the lobby/concourse in a few years but wonder how you refresh a 1920's themed hotel.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
The Grand Canyon concourse could use an update...the crowding of random crap in the middle cheapens it’s.
Totally agree, I feel like they should move chef mickeys down to The Wave and then totally redo the concourse level more upscale and mid century modern. Work with the colors of the mural instead of trying to fight against it. I’m picturing almost like an upscale airport lounge type of vibe.

nickys

Premium Member
Totally agree, I feel like they should move chef mickeys down to The Wave and then totally redo the concourse level more upscale and mid century modern. Work with the colors of the mural instead of trying to fight against it. I’m picturing almost like an upscale airport lounge type of vibe.
Hands off the Wave! It’s the best breakfast on property IMO, or was. Buffet for those who want it, and a menu for those who just want pancakes and coffee. Nice for lunch and dinner too.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Hands off the Wave! It’s the best breakfast on property IMO, or was. Buffet for those who want it, and a menu for those who just want pancakes and coffee. Nice for lunch and dinner too.
Oh I love the wave! Probably ate there more than any other table service. But imagine if the wave was located upstairs under the 14 story window with views of the monorails whisking by instead of a the current 90s style food court disaster.

nickys

Premium Member
Oh I love the wave! Probably ate there more than any other table service. But imagine if the wave was located upstairs under the 14 story window with views of the monorails whisking by instead of a the current 90s style food court disaster.
The Contempo Cafe still needs to go somewhere though. It’s one of the better deluxe QS, with more variety. I wish they could redesign or relocate it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You have got to get rid of that hideous mosaic on the elevators. Maybe a soft mauve paint with a flash of orange for accent. I mean five legs sheesh.
You mean the Mary Blair one??

...you know how to make enemies, don’t you?

You two have to give me some...

I think the wave is one of the truly poor places around.

But I’m admittedly not a “stanky crab cake” afficianado
The Contempo Cafe still needs to go somewhere though. It’s one of the better deluxe QS, with more variety. I wish they could redesign or relocate it.
Well...it used to be where it was supposed to be: in the wave!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom