News Disneyland Resort in California plans to begin phased reopening July 9

TP2000

Theme parks cannot remotely be considered essential businesses. No one will live or die based on their ability to go to a theme park.

I agree with you. Some might find this shocking to hear from a big fan like me, but...

Theme parks like Disneyland are not only non-essential, they are the epitome of decadence and wasteful luxury. They have no redeeming social quality, other than to entertain an affluent and already pampered audience.

When you look at Earth from 500 miles out in space at the 7 Billion people on this planet, anyone who can afford a ticket to Disneyland is in the top 2% of human comfort. Anyone who can afford a ticket to Disneyland arrives in Anaheim at the top of the human heap with not only modern shelter, food, clothing and security, they have access to safe transportation (private and/or public), at least 12 years of government funded education, a high protein & high calorie diet, a stable electricity supply, effective sewerage and clean water, and their homes have all major appliances (at least central heating, stove, fridge, TV, radio, phone, Internet - plus small appliances and potential luxuries like a dishwasher, microwave, clothes washer/dryer, air conditioning, freezer, etc.).

In short, the 75,000 people per day who willingly show up and pay an entrance fee to the Disneyland Resort are at the very top of the human food chain on this planet. They have leisure time and leisure dollars to spend. They are often quite literally fat and happy.

When considered from a global perspective and weighed against the often miserable lives of 7 Billion humans here, Disneyland is the self-indulgent epitome of Non-Essential. And as we have seen for the last five months there is no truly important reason why Disneyland needs to exist for the human race.

Disneyland simply isn't that important, and it's not essential.

Last edited:

TP2000

Depends on if they had a Club 33 membership or not 😉

I was once told by a member that you could count on one hand the number of CM's who had access to a Club 33 membership. It almost always involves a child of a longtime member who gets a job as a CM in college or something like that, and yet is still officially a dependent family member listed on the membership.

Perhaps there's an exception or two somewhere out there in CM history, but it doesn't appear to be easy to find.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
I was once told by a member that you could count on one hand the number of CM's who had access to a Club 33 membership. It almost always involves a child of a longtime member who gets a job as a CM in college or something like that, and yet is still officially a dependent family member listed on the membership.

Perhaps there's an exception or two somewhere out there in CM history, but it doesn't appear to be easy to find.

That makes sense, given the wait list and ridiculous pricing. Still, I wouldn’t be mad if my friend had a Club 33 membership. 😄 I’d only be mad if they never took me 😂

Disney Irish

Premium Member

TP, how long have you been on the wait list?

George Lucas on a Bench

Just remember, they messed up the buildings in NOS including a giant offset window that would cause OCD people to jump off the Guardians of the Galaxy Building in horror and closed access to a courtyard, all because it was apparently necessary for modernizing and expanding Club 33 for that tiny percentage of wealthy people who look down on all the schmucks in the park from on high while sipping their drinks.

TP2000

TP, how long have you been on the wait list?

Zero years, zero days. 🤣

I've been to Club 33 a few times (and 1901 Lounge once) as a guest of members, since I moved back to SoCal in the 1990's.

Club 33 is nice, and I'm glad it's there for those who enjoy it. At least the Disneyland version of it and its facilities; the very limited WDW version they have makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. But the three second long cost/benefit analysis in my brain of Disneyland's Club 33 has never penciled out for me personally. Especially after I had my first meal there in the 90's, and the Disneyland geek deep within was satisfied to have seen it.

My cost/benefit analysis isn't helped by being a bachelor. I think for a family with kids or grandkids, Club 33 membership would make more sense.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Zero years, zero days. 🤣

I've been to Club 33 a few times (and 1901 Lounge once) as a guest of members, since I moved back to SoCal in the 1990's.

Club 33 is nice, and I'm glad it's there for those who enjoy it. At least the Disneyland version of it and its facilities; the very limited WDW version they have makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. But the three second long cost/benefit analysis in my brain of Disneyland's Club 33 has never penciled out for me personally. Especially after I had my first meal there in the 90's, and the Disneyland geek deep within was satisfied to have seen it.

My cost/benefit analysis isn't helped by being a bachelor. I think for a family with kids or grandkids, Club 33 membership would make more sense.
I've been to Club 33 a couple of times. It was fun and special but I can live if I never go again.

TP2000

I've been to Club 33 a couple of times. It was fun and special but I can live if I never go again.

Disneyland's Club 33 restaurant and two cocktail lounges are lovely, and operated at a relatively high standard.

It's also the most Non-Essential small part of a concept (Disneyland Resort) that is inherently and thoroughly Non-Essential.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Zero years, zero days. 🤣

I have been to Club 33 more than a few times, either as a guest of a member, or for a special event. (I actually had a Blind Date breakfast with a group. (I was a single male back then) Anyways, since I came as a solo, the event planner paired me up with Margaret Kelly, the original model for Tinker Bell.

But I have turned down invites. It is worth going if you can get an invite. But after a few visits, it stops being special.

mandelbrot

I have been to Club 33 more than a few times, either as a guest of a member, or for a special event. (I actually had a Blind Date breakfast with a group. (I was a single male back then) Anyways, since I came as a solo, the event planner paired me up with Margaret Kelly, the original model for Tinker Bell.

But I have turned down invites. It is worth going if you can get an invite. But after a few visits, it stops being special.
Margaret was my next door neighbor when I lived in a condo in Glendale twenty years ago. Exceptionally lovely lady and as sweet as can be!

Mac Tonight

I agree with you. Some might find this shocking to hear from a big fan like me, but...

Theme parks like Disneyland are not only non-essential, they are the epitome of decadence and wasteful luxury. They have no redeeming social quality, other than to entertain an affluent and already pampered audience.

When you look at Earth from 500 miles out in space at the 7 Billion people on this planet, anyone who can afford a ticket to Disneyland is in the top 2% of human comfort. Anyone who can afford a ticket to Disneyland arrives in Anaheim at the top of the human heap with not only modern shelter, food, clothing and security, they have access to safe transportation (private and/or public), at least 12 years of government funded education, a high protein & high calorie diet, a stable electricity supply, effective sewerage and clean water, and their homes have all major appliances (at least central heating, stove, fridge, TV, radio, phone, Internet - plus small appliances and potential luxuries like a dishwasher, microwave, clothes washer/dryer, air conditioning, freezer, etc.).

In short, the 75,000 people per day who willingly show up and pay an entrance fee to the Disneyland Resort are at the very top of the human food chain on this planet. They have leisure time and leisure dollars to spend. They are often quite literally fat and happy.

When considered from a global perspective and weighed against the often miserable lives of 7 Billion humans here, Disneyland is the self-indulgent epitome of Non-Essential. And as we have seen for the last five months there is no truly important reason why Disneyland needs to exist for the human race.

Disneyland simply isn't that important, and it's not essential.
Don't let your Neighbor Lady hear you talk like that!

mickEblu

I would dare say that a fair number of people whose income relies on the theme parks being open would say the theme parks are essential, especially now that they aren't getting the extra $600 a week.

id like to believe that but the $400 + whatever they re getting from the state might be more or the same as what they were getting paid by Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom