New Roundup Rodeo BBQ sit-down restaurant coming to TSL

UNCgolf

This is a question for those with more knowledge of construction for food/bev vs. retail, but given how far along this project is at the moment, how difficult would you imagine it to be to convert this project into a gift shop.

Admittedly Dining and Retail are both things that WDW don’t need new ones of at the moment, but it’s still a curious thought.

I think Disney could use more dining (table service dining, at least) in Hollywood Studios. Could probably use it in every park other than EPCOT, really. Not a big deal if you have a park hopper, but not too many places to sit down and have dinner in the other three parks.

Under normal circumstances, that is. They certainly don't need it right now.

lazyboy97o

This is a question for those with more knowledge of construction for food/bev vs. retail, but given how far along this project is at the moment, how difficult would you imagine it to be to convert this project into a gift shop.

Admittedly Dining and Retail are both things that WDW don’t need new ones of at the moment, but it’s still a curious thought.
Not really difficult at all. The code requirements for dining are generally more restrictive for dining than retail. The big issue would be if any large, specialized equipment has been installed like walk-in cold storage and mechanical equipment for the kitchen. They could be left in place if you wanted to only temporarily use the space for retail.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I think it’s not as much an issue of quantity as it is one of quality. DHS has 1.5 good Quick Service restaurants and 3 good TS options. DHS needs to overhaul places’ menus like Rizzo and Melrose first.

I honestly forgot Melrose even existed. I was thinking Brown Derby, Prime Time, and Sci-Fi were the only TS restaurants in the park.

But I also think Prime Time and especially Sci-Fi aren't really considered dinner restaurants by at least some guests. Not that they don't serve dinner (obviously), but the menu (especially at Sci-Fi) mostly consists of items that I associate with lunch. Burgers and sandwiches for Sci-Fi and basically a traditional meat and two at Prime Time. I will sometimes eat lunch at DHS, but I almost always go to Disney Springs or EPCOT for dinner.

Of course, quality is an issue throughout the parks. Some restaurants are much better than others, but I think the overall food quality has declined pretty significantly from where it once was.

Last edited:

jaxonp

Studios has the worst food options of any park. It has needed help for years. I personally don't think the food in SWGE is as good as people make it out to be. It's certainly not as good as Satuli. Woody's lunch box is a win for me.. both breakfast and lunch are solid for QS options. Brown Derby is solid but nothing spectacular in the world of sig dinning at WDW.

Magic Feather

Studios has the worst food options of any park. It has needed help for years. I personally don't think the food in SWGE is as good as people make it out to be. It's certainly not as good as Satuli. Woody's lunch box is a win for me.. both breakfast and lunch are solid for QS options. Brown Derby is solid but nothing spectacular in the world of sig dinning at WDW.
Magic Kingdom says “hi”

BubbaisSleep

I've only had 2 WDW trips in my life but from what I remember, I don't remember wanting to eat at DHS at all outside of Sci-Fi (must go a a first-timer although the food is just okay). I easily remember where I did or wanted to eat in the other three parks, both quick & table service.
I haven't been to the parks since TSL & SWGE has been opened, but I've been to the westcoast version and wasn't too impressed either. The hummus dish at Docking Bay was wonderful though. DHS could use an upgrade in the food department for sure. Glad to hear Woody's lunch is good at least.

UNCgolf

I was going to post the same thing. I'd say Docking Bay 7 is the best quick service option in both parks and Brown Derby is probably the best table service.

Both DHS and MK need help dining wise, but DHS seems to be going in the right direction while MK is largely stagnant.

There isn't a TS restaurant worthy of dinner at either park except possibly Brown Derby and Be Our Guest. I haven't personally been to Brown Derby but I've heard mixed reviews. Be Our Guest isn't terrible, but you're paying a significant surcharge for the setting compared to the food quality. I'd much rather go eat somewhere like Flying Fish or California Grill if I'm going to spend that much money.

jaxonp

I was going to post the same thing. I'd say Docking Bay 7 is the best quick service option in both parks and Brown Derby is probably the best table service.

Both DHS and MK need help dining wise, but DHS seems to be going in the right direction while MK is largely stagnant.

Brown Derby is better than anything at DHS or MK but it should be as a Signature... that said.. it may be, imo, the worst Signature on property. Docking Bay is so overrated. Yes it is better than many of the quick serves out there but its wildly inconsistent and just not all that great. Even, Cali's version isn't much better and DL knows how to do quick serve food.

jaxonp

There isn't a TS restaurant worthy of dinner at either park except possibly Brown Derby and Be Our Guest. I haven't personally been to Brown Derby but I've heard mixed reviews. Be Our Guest isn't terrible, but you're paying a significant surcharge for the setting compared to the food quality. I'd much rather go eat somewhere like Flying Fish or California Grill if I'm going to spend that much money.

Agreed. As far a Signatures go- Cali Grill, Tiffins, Jiko, Monsieur Paul, Tekumi-tei, Boathouse & Citricos are wildly better. Don't @ me with Le Cellier ... it's trash.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I love The Brown Derby, its a must stop for Lunch when we are in DHS and Narcossee's is phenomenal, particularly if you can time it with the fireworks as well.

RSoxNo1

Brown Derby is better than anything at DHS or MK but it should be as a Signature... that said.. it may be, imo, the worst Signature on property. Docking Bay is so overrated. Yes it is better than many of the quick serves out there but its wildly inconsistent and just not all that great. Even, Cali's version isn't much better and DL knows how to do quick serve food.
From a price point, it's still attainable as a signature dining, especially for lunch.

Movielover

The steak that I had at Brown Derby my last trip was honestly the best cooked steak I have ever had. I still have yet to find something that taste as good as that wonderful cut of beef!

GE's food was great! The Ronto Wraps were very tasty and the Endorian Tip Yip was very good.

jaxonp

The steak that I had at Brown Derby my last trip was honestly the best cooked steak I have ever had. I still have yet to find something that taste as good as that wonderful cut of beef!

GE's food was great! The Ronto Wraps were very tasty and the Endorian Tip Yip was very good.

that’s great, Disney has the ability to produce great steaks at most signature restaurants but the consistance and service lacks at derby... it’s not a bad restaurant but the competition is stiff at the top.

mattpeto

Ronto Roasters is one of our favorites and Woody's Lunch Box is decent. Anything down Sunset Blvd is not enticing at all.

I've done Brown Derby twice and the food is good, but it's not worth the price IMO. Sci-Fi is more of a greasy food experience. If you love that food, go for it. We went last year and I won't make a point to get back for a long time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom