Solo travelers during Covid-19

Stitch826

As someone who’s done solo trips to WDW the past few years, I’ve been thinking about the impact of all the COVID-19 precautions Disney has made. Doing a solo trip was already a bit awkward at times before the pandemic. With all of the social distancing measures in place, it seems as if solo trips are now significantly worse in that regard. Having to sit alone on Disney transportation, ride vehicles, waiting in lines, etc... I’m not planning to return to Disney until at least early 2021, but are any solo travelers concerned about the increased awkwardness of the social distancing measures?

MissViv

I like to travel solo and am planning a trip in October but could cancel depending on how covid is in FL at that time. I do not mind the social distancing at all and actually prefer it over being in cars with people I do not know. I don't think on the Disney transportation (buses) you will be alone just distanced from other travelers.

Hope I get to go!!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I agree solo traveling isnt the way some people would enjoy Disney, cause they prefer a lot of family and other people interactions. Why would solo travelers who choose to do it be concerned? As a past solo traveller I was expecting to be separated from others while dining, and now with distancing on attractions and spacing in transportation it would make me feel much safer. I'd prefer to solo travel and be better in control of my situation. I'm very comfortable with being by myself.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I did a solo trip in 2015.
I enjoyed it but I missed having someone to find things funny with etc.
I walked around alone, sat alone on transportation, rides, show, dinner etc.
Not sure why it would seem that much worse now. What just the fact that everyone will KNOW you are solo instead of everyone just assuming you're with the group ahead or behind?
If you don't like the idea then just don't travel solo.

Upvote 0

Stitch826

Original Poster
I agree solo traveling isnt the way some people would enjoy Disney, cause they prefer a lot of family and other people interactions. Why would solo travelers who choose to do it be concerned? As a past solo traveller I was expecting to be separated from others while dining, and now with distancing on attractions and spacing in transportation it would make me feel much safer. I'd prefer to solo travel and be better in control of my situation. I'm very comfortable with being by myself.
I guess I should have been more specific in my post. For me, the aspects of a solo trip that would seem more awkward now during the pandemic would be taking up space on a ride vehicle or transportation that can normally hold four or six people with just myself. It just seems that it would be awkward to make other people wait longer in line while I take up ride or transportation capacity intended for multiple people. It would be like going to a restaurant with people waiting and instead of being sat at a table for two, you are given a table for four or six. I agree that it is about safety.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I guess I should have been more specific in my post. For me, the aspects of a solo trip that would seem more awkward now during the pandemic would be taking up space on a ride vehicle or transportation that can normally hold four or six people with just myself. It just seems that it would be awkward to make other people wait longer in line while I take up ride or transportation capacity intended for multiple people. It would be like going to a restaurant with people waiting and instead of being sat at a table for two, you are given a table for four or six. I agree that it is about safety.
Personally I would not feel "bad" in the least. I paid the money to go just like everyone else and it's not my problem that everyone has to be space out etc.
But if that makes it weird for you then just don't consider a solo trip.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I think it is great. One of the things that I hate is that they squish you into rides next to strangers. Why shouldn't a solo traveler get their own row on the safari or EE normally? The way I see it is that a row is assigned to a family group so it should be no different if you have 1,2 or 5 people, your group still takes up the same space for the most part. I am taking up no more space then when I go with my girls, we still take up a row. To me, feeling awkward is a sign that you are doing something wrong. And I am absolutely am not doing anything wrong by going to WDW solo. These are left over sentiments from a time where people shamed you(especially woman) for not having someone else in your life. It's outdated and cruel in my opinion. I refuse to feel any shame or awkwardness in doing something that I love to do. I don't care how far apart you put me from others or how big of a table I am sat at. I will enjoy myself like I always do. :)

Upvote 0

Stitch826

Original Poster
I think it is great. One of the things that I hate is that they squish you into rides next to strangers. Why shouldn't a solo traveler get their own row on the safari or EE normally? The way I see it is that a row is assigned to a family group so it should be no different if you have 1,2 or 5 people, your group still takes up the same space for the most part. I am taking up no more space then when I go with my girls, we still take up a row. To me, feeling awkward is a sign that you are doing something wrong. And I am absolutely am not doing anything wrong by going to WDW solo. These are left over sentiments from a time where people shamed you(especially woman) for not having someone else in your life. It's outdated and cruel in my opinion. I refuse to feel any shame or awkwardness in doing something that I love to do. I don't care how far apart you put me from others or how big of a table I am sat at. I will enjoy myself like I always do. :)
I see your point here. I always loved solo lines at Rock ‘n Roller Coaster, Test Track, and Expedition Everest, where you could usually almost walk right onto the rides as solo traveler. I have no problem riding next to strangers, as I’ve always viewed it as maximizing ride capacity to minimize wait times. If every party at Test Track now gets their own car, regardless of whether there’s one person or six, wait times will soar once park attendance increases, making waits for all party sizes more miserable. At the same time, some of these social distancing changes need to remain in place in some form even after the pandemic is over. Cramming everybody onto buses, monorails, the Haunted Mansion, the Rock ‘N Roller Coaster queues, etc. was ridiculous. One ride operator frequently announced “if you can see the floor, there’s room for more”. Hopefully that mentality is gone for good.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I see your point here. I always loved solo lines at Rock ‘n Roller Coaster, Test Track, and Expedition Everest, where you could usually almost walk right onto the rides as solo traveler. I have no problem riding next to strangers, as I’ve always viewed it as maximizing ride capacity to minimize wait times. If every party at Test Track now gets their own car, regardless of whether there’s one person or six, wait times will soar once park attendance increases, making waits for all party sizes more miserable. At the same time, some of these social distancing changes need to remain in place in some form even after the pandemic is over. Cramming everybody onto buses, monorails, the Haunted Mansion, the Rock ‘N Roller Coaster queues, etc. was ridiculous. One ride operator frequently announced “if you can see the floor, there’s room for more”. Hopefully that mentality is gone for good.

I think that it should be an option on whether or not to share a "row" with a stranger. If someone does not feel comfortable sitting so close to another, especially in those rides like Seven Dwarfs minetrain, where the seats are so small that you are touching the person next to you, that you should not have to. Disney does such a great job of accommodating people with all kinds of issues, that if someone requests this,(it could be because of autism or anxiety,etc) that they could easily do this for a person. In my experience, some cast members will and some get down right nasty when you ask.

Upvote 0

Stitch826

Original Poster
Perhaps this belongs in a new post rather than added to this one, but since they’re related I’ll leave it here: Once Disney returns to normal, should they resume filling every seat on rides and transportation as much as possible? Or should they permanently eliminate single rider lines and seat each party separately, in their own rows? When you go to a restaurant (unless it’s a Japanese restaurant), you get your own table for your party. A party of one or two ideally sits at a table for two, a party of three or four at a table for four, etc. A restaurant doesn’t take a single person or a couple and put them next to another couple at a table for four. However, this is about two different types of businesses, theme parks and restaurants. Should theme parks like Disney fill in all available space on rides to maximize capacity and efficiency, or go with one party per row? Obviously it also depends on the ride itself. A ride like Soarin or Tower of Terror is different than Test Track, Expedition Everest, or 7DMT, based on the ride vehicles alone.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

You wouldnt really be making others wait longer. You are in your own grouping and they are in theirs. If you were with someone else you still would be taking up a single bench seat or row. You wouldnt be making them wait any longer by being a solo traveler. In a restaurant you would be seated at a table for two so again youre not taking space away from a larger party.

Upvote 0

JohnD

I wouldn't overthink it. Go, follow the rules, and don't feel guilty about what CMs have to do to accommodate guests. You have as much right to be there as a party of six. I intend to go solo in October.

Upvote 0

cgersic

I just did it for 5 days and 4 nights and didn't have a problem at all. I prefer the social distancing in line so you don't have people bumping into you or invading your space. I had a great CM encounter on ROtR since I was the only person in an 8 person vehicle. I promised him I could handle it "on my own" to which he replied "good luck with that". 😁

Upvote 0

Disneyfreak Jen

You’re not the one choosing to “take up extra space”. That’s Disney’s rules, you just have to follow them. You have just as much right to be there as every other paying guest, and you, as a solo traveler, are no less important than other guests.

Upvote 0

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
If given the opportunity for a 1 day/Night stay at the World, would you go to the parks by yourself for the day? My wife won't wear the mask all day, and so I said I'll go to the park because I don't mind it, and you can go to the spa. Just curious what other folks would do. For the record I'm comfortable going to the parks and don't mind it being awkward, plus, nobody will know who you are with the mask on anyway ;)

Upvote 0

JohnD

If given the opportunity for a 1 day/Night stay at the World, would you go to the parks by yourself for the day? My wife won't wear the mask all day, and so I said I'll go to the park because I don't mind it, and you can go to the spa. Just curious what other folks would do. For the record I'm comfortable going to the parks and don't mind it being awkward, plus, nobody will know who you are with the mask on anyway ;)

Sure, I'd go. I would probably pick AK. It's the most relaxing park for me. A good mix of attractions, trails, and bars.

Upvote 0

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Sure, I'd go. I would probably pick AK. It's the most relaxing park for me. A good mix of attractions, trails, and bars.
This would be my first time going solo, while only for the day, its still a new experience. I am just really curious how things are now. I love AK but will most likely go to Epcot because of WS and TT which I missed the last time I was there in January.

Upvote 0

HollyAD

I wasn't solo but only took my 11 y/o son. I found that people, especially at the pool, were just as likely to strike up conversation. This was from 6 feet apart too! I also managed to do some accidental networking at the airport when I was solo. You will encounter some people who are afraid to talk or be around people but others seemed to be so happy to be out of isolation that they were social.

Upvote 0

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
So I decided I'm solo for the first time on Thursday and going to Epcot. Anyone have any suggestions for good table service restaurants for solo guests? I feel it might be a bit awkward and might just try out the Regal Eagle. The wife is passing this go around.

Upvote 0

JohnD

So I decided I'm solo for the first time on Thursday and going to Epcot. Anyone have any suggestions for good table service restaurants for solo guests? I feel it might be a bit awkward and might just try out the Regal Eagle. The wife is passing this go around.

Spice Road Table: Table outside for small plates
Via Napoli: Pizza and beer
Rose & Crown: Burger and beer.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom