News Disneyland Resort in California plans to begin phased reopening July 9

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
I haven’t seen any of these locations preCOVID, so I only have this current situation to compare them against one another. I’m sure I’ll love CityWalk for more nightlife stuff, it’s just not being offered right now and it was not fun when I went during the day. But I’m excited to try more things like this and see these places as we transition back to normal! And this is what I mean; we all have our own cup of tea, and maybe that’s why I like to visit DTD lol I’m the new OC resident that wants the taste of anything Disney right now; I listen to park music while I work (which I should be doing right now 😬) I don’t like big cities and I’m a millennial that doesn’t like Hipster bars 😂 so this is perfect for me.

mickEblu

Disagree, I actually feel the exact opposite, though DtD is boring from morning until night. I do agree that CityWalk is better at night. There’s really no point in going in the morning.

Another thing CityWalk has going for it is its location. Its placement in the mountains makes for better photos, especially during sunset.

I went about a month ago for lunch and it was so dead. It was just hot, dead and boring with no shade to be found. No shops that really interest me. I’d been craving a shrimp po boy and I remember having one at the Bubba Gump in Miami that I enjoyed. The one here was terrible. Anyway it just felt so lifeless compared DTD. Granted, it was during the day during these Strange times but DTD feels much better in the same conditions.

The location is much closer to me as well and I still think in the right conditions it may be the more fun place to go at night. But DTD is definitely prettier and has more ambiance. Citi Walk has more energy at night with the lights and clubs and restaurants like the restaurant formerly known as Camachos

mickEblu

Anyone know where I can find a good shrimp po boy in LA? I’m ashamed that I tried to kill my craving at Bubba Gumps but they are rare around here.

Mac Tonight

Anyone know where I can find a good shrimp po boy in LA? I’m ashamed that I tried to kill my craving at Bubba Gumps but they are rare around here.
Try Fat Tuesday in Sherman Oaks.
Haven't been there myself but it was highly recommended on Yelp.

o.jpg

Californian Elitist

I went about a month ago for lunch and it was so dead. It was just hot, dead and boring with no shade to be found. No shops that really interest me. I’d been craving a shrimp po boy and I remember having one at the Bubba Gump in Miami that I enjoyed. The one here was terrible. Anyway it just felt so lifeless compared DTD. Granted, it was during the day during these Strange times but DTD feels much better in the same conditions.

The location is much closer to me as well and I still think in the right conditions it may be the more fun place to go at night.

You went during the pandemic lol. Of course it was dead.😉

Bubba Gump is overrated. If you want a good po boy, head to The Little Jewel of New Orleans in Chinatown. Delicious.

We all have our preferences.😁DtD just isn’t it for me and I definitely wouldn’t drive from L.A. just to go there. It’s a snooze fest with ugly architecture. I would love for it to get a huge makeover. The design is terrible and unappealing. Same for CityWalk, it could also use a makeover.

mickEblu

You went during the pandemic lol. Of course it was dead.😉

Bubba Gump is overrated. If you want a good po boy, head to The Little Jewel of New Orleans in Chinatown. Delicious.

We all have our preferences.😁DtD just isn’t it for me and I definitely wouldn’t drive from L.A. just to go there. It’s a snooze fest with ugly architecture. I would love for it to get a huge makeover. The design is terrible and unappealing. Same for CityWalk, it could also use a makeover.

Thanks for the recommendation! Never heard of that place.

Well that’s my point. I was at DTD a couple weeks ago and it just felt better with more life. The Disney music and the walk past the mini jungle outside the Disneyland Hotel is nice. Seeing my kid excited I’m sure has something to do with it too. We stocked up on lollipops from World of Disney. DTD has all of the water features and more planters too. I’m not sure if you can find a solitary tree at Citi Walk. You re right they can both use makeovers. I’d like it if more of DTD felt like the new Naples makeover or that side of DTD in general. The Starbucks with that living wall is also pretty cool.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Try Fat Tuesday in Sherman Oaks.
Haven't been there myself but it was highly recommended on Yelp.

o.jpg

Oh hell yea! And I can be there in 10 minutes flat. I went to elementary school in Sherman Oaks and my dads office was there for 20 years so it’s a bit of a mini stomping grounds for me. Tony’s Liquor had the best burgers in the back! Also you can always count on a Van Eaton Disney gallery/ auction going on. Casa Vega, (the valleys El Coyote is also down the street).

Anyway thanks for the recommendation. It looks great and makes the one I had at Bubba Gump look like a joke.

Mac Tonight

Oh hell yea! And I can be there in 10 minutes flat. I went to elementary school in Sherman Oaks and my dads office was there for 20 years so it’s a bit of a mini stomping grounds for me. Tony’s Liquor had the best burgers in the back! Also you can always count on a Van Eaton Gallery Disney gallery/ auction going on. Casa Vega, (the valleys El Coyote is also down the street).

Anyway thanks for the recommendation. It looks great and makes the one I had at Bubba Gump look like a joke.
Hope it's good!

BuzzedPotatoHead89

The highlights of Citywalk for me were always Howl at the Moon, Saddle Ranch, the IMAX etc. Now with most of that being closed it’s mostly restaurants. These days just going to WoD and hearing the esplanade music would probably place DtD above USH’s Citywalk for me. I will say the neon and lights make Citywalk look more vibrant at night.

Oh hell yea! And I can be there in 10 minutes flat. I went to elementary school in Sherman Oaks and my dads office was there for 20 years so it’s a bit of a mini stomping grounds for me. Tony’s Liquor had the best burgers in the back! Also you can always count on a Van Eaton Disney gallery/ auction going on. Casa Vega, (the valleys El Coyote is also down the street).

I feel like the quality of Bubba Gump’s has gone downhill at Citywalk at least, to the point where I kind of miss Gladstone’s.

Honestly that strip of Ventura Blvd may have some of the best quality afternoon outings in the Valley (and all of LA). Van Eaton’s selection never disappoints plus in addition to Casa Vega, you’ve got Boneyard Bistro’s Tri Tip and the One Up bar literally right down the block.

Nirya

Little Jewel of New Orleans in Chinatown (trust me). Though upgrade to the oyster po'boy for a really good sandwich.

Californian Elitist

Thanks for the recommendation! Never heard of that place.

Well that’s my point. I was at DTD a couple weeks ago and it just felt better with more life. The Disney music and the walk past the mini jungle outside the Disney Hotel is nice. Seeing my kid excited I’m sure has something to do with it too. We stocked up on lollipops from World of Disney. DTD has all of the water features and more planters too. I’m not sure if you can find a solitary tree at Citi Walk. You re right they can both use makeovers. I’d like it if more of DTD felt like the new Naples makeover or that side of DTD in general. The Starbucks with that living wall is also pretty cool.

I forgot to mention Orleans and York! Also another great place for po boys and sandwiches in general.

There are trees at CityWalk lol. I’m just not impressed with DtD at all. The best thing it’s got going for itself is World of Disney. I will give it that, Universal’s stores are awful. I honestly think all of DtD should be done over, especially the area near the Disneyland Hotel.

mickEblu

The highlights of Citywalk for me were always Howl at the Moon, Saddle Ranch, the IMAX etc. Now with most of that being closed it’s mostly restaurants. These days just going to WoD and hearing the esplanade music would probably place DtD above USH’s Citywalk for me. I will say the neon and lights make Citywalk look more vibrant at night.

I feel like the quality of Bubba Gump’s has gone downhill at Citywalk at least, to the point where I kind of miss Gladstone’s.

Honestly that strip of Ventura Blvd may have some of the best quality afternoon outings in the Valley (and all of LA). Van Eaton’s selection never disappoints plus in addition to Casa Vega, you’ve got Boneyard Bistro’s Tri Tip and the One Up bar literally right down the block.

My wife and I just noticed they got rid of Saddle Ranch formerly known as Country Star. Why? I think it’s just AstroTurf now. I agree. Their used to be a lot of energy at CitiWalk at night. Right now apples to apples DTD is much more pleasant during the day.

I also love that “little” stretch of Ventura Blvd from Woodman to Coldwater. Lots of great (non chain) restaurants and cool shops. I went to Dixie Canyon elementary from 4th through 6th and my dads office was on Sunny slope and Ventura for 20 years so I know the area well. Tony’s Liquor had the best char burgers. They didn’t even advertise the fact they had a grill back there. Now it’s a little more official. Not sure if it’s still any good or not. You also have the Great Greek and Mistral which is great. Also some weird mom and pop shops. Closer to Coldwater they opened up a Philz coffee next to the Suzys cupcakes and il Tramezzino. Philz has a iced mint mojito coffee that’s pretty damn good. Haven’t been to One up but Boneyard is great.

TP2000

Even @TP2000 would pardon a neck beard in this case.

Great head of hair though.

I'll take this on, as graciously as possible. 🧐

As a fellow member of the older generation, I long ago realized that what Mr. Lucas was doing with his beard was trying to establish a jawline where no such jawline really existed. Even in his youth, when he was slimmer and a mans facial features are naturally stronger and tauter, he never had much of a jawline. Also, he has a weak chin.

Somehow, he convinced himself that he could create a jawline with a well-trimmed beard. It kind of works when you are younger, but once you hit a certain age it just stops working. Mr. Lucas reached that age some time ago. But I imagine his well-paid barber and his various close associates don't dare mention this to him, and when he turns in the mirror and holds his head at just the right angle it kind of works in his eyes.

In his defense, he always looks well groomed. And at least many of his movies are good.

And as a reminder, five months ago today - March 13th, Disneyland closed. As of tomorrow, Disneyland Resort will begin its sixth month of closure with no known reopening date and no information yet released by Sacramento on when Disneyland and all other California theme parks may reopen.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom