News Disneyland Resort in California plans to begin phased reopening July 9

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Honestly, DTD was safer than Target. Was there yesterday, and People were pulling masks down to sniff candles and congregating on top of one another to get cleaning supplies. Obviously no active cleaning of touched surfaces and items, and no employees to help find products, let alone enforce safety measures lol. DTD, I saw the safety squad tell a 3 year old to pull their mask up (in the most magical way possible of course) and try to direct people where to sit and stand. While I hope that doesn’t become the new normal, and while human nature can make safety awareness slip, I think the implementation the Disney company is doing shows that I can feel safe in the parks when they do open, more than in a grocery store. It’s what I keep hearing from people that go to WDW.

Darkbeer1

Well, I have mentioned that the J.W. Marriott is soft opening in a few days, and the Best Western Anaheim is going to reopen its doors soon.

But the city is still not in the best shape. But $4 Million was just approved to help the city, including trying to help out businesses.

>>
The expanded Recovery Plan includes:

• Extension of the eviction moratorium
  • Increase funding for the rental assistance program
  • Expand the small business grant program
  • Provide waivers, incentives and other measures to support local development projects
  • Increased funding through local non-profits to assist Anaheim residents in need
  • Establish a Buy/Shop/Dine/Hire/Purchase Local program to drive customers to local business and foster long-term resident loyalty Anaheim businesses.
  • Waive permits, fees and other regulatory obstacles to increased use of outdoor spaces for dining and business operations
  • Increased funding for COVID-19 testing and PPE<<
Of course, the city has lost about half of its general fund revenue, and until the state allows more businesses to run, well, those tax revenues won't recover.

Now Uber and Lyft are planning to not operate in California until the November election, as their business model doesn't work without independent contractors, since they are a middle man booking service, not a taxi company. And we lost the Main Yellow Cab operator in Orange County on May 30th after 75 years of operation.

So there will be holes to fill when the resort area comes back to life.

The city is doing the best we can, and thankful for the Federal CARES Act funds, along with State grants.

But those are one time fixes, and only when we are allowed to reopen, can we start getting the system running again, businesses open, people back to work, money to pay rents, put food on the table, and tax dollars to help the city pay its bills.

mickEblu

It is interesting that a big chunk of Gov Newsom’s news conference today was on the need for economic recovery. Also, he noted that ICU and hospitalization rates are both down nearly 20% over the last two weeks. Of course he went into his typical “data and uh science” by encouraging masks and social distancing, as he should, but he said they are working on school reforms right now. I see this as his “dimmer switch” getting ready to turn on a little bit for more things again, and I agree it will start with things like indoor dining, indoor barbershops, and indoor malls before they get to theme parks. But every time something else gets permission is another step closer :)

Also, in looking at the list of ALL Disneyland and DCA attractions, there are like 20 that are outdoor only. And some of those are interactive which scratch those off. But I see a problem with operating half a park without deducting admission or using a reservation. A lot of APs won’t see the bang for their buck and want to cancel—because whose to say how long “outdoor ride” operation will last—losing that group. And a lot of day-only guests won’t see the benefit to throw so much money and travel and risk away for half a park experience. There is already no shows. PLUS, this is 20 rides between BOTH parks... if you can’t park hop, then than is even less worth it. I get it though, and I have been thinking to myself “well, what if they pull off a knott’s-like festival?” But that requires separate admission because it’s technically paying for the food and doesn’t require a park ticket per say. So idk. Lots to think about, which I’m sure Disney is doing.

Darkbeer1, do you know if Anaheim has been recovering a little from DTD opening? Do you know how those businesses are looking? I really feel for them...

IMO an outdoor attraction only DL would only be short term pretty much only cater to locals/ APs. I can’t see many other people outside of this demo paying for those conditions but there will be some others. I keep saying not to underestimate how bored people are especially if this goes on for another few months. Of course it would have to make financial sense for Disney to do this in the first place.

el_super

So you agree then that DL would be no less safe than a Target?

For an individual, it wouldn't be any less safe, but that's not the only way you have to look at it. You have to look at it as how many potential interactions it would generate and how much transmission rates would increase by having it open. And its cumulative, so its how many additional infections would be caused over already having target open.

We already know that reopening indoor dining and relaxing restrictions caused an dangerous increase in hospitalizations. Reopening Disneyland can only occur when the increased hospitalizations it will induce can be adequately accommodated.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmwade77

Last week I posted something along the lines that some news might happen next week, but don't expect much.

We were told the state might actually start to accept data and info, including steps to start reopening.

So we have some movement, where there have been none.

But it is only a small step, one of many that have to be taken before the state will issue guidelines, and hopefully a date so companies can plan to get things ready, and start training staff.
My best guess at this point is now after labor day weekend; however, I think that will be a mistake, I think opening theme parks before labor day weekend would reduce the demand on beaches and spread out crowds over what is going to be a busy holiday weekend no matter what.

cmwade77

From what I understand Disney would need 3-4 weeks from being given the green light to have the parks up and running again. It starting to look we’d be lucky if they were open by early November. Of course you have to wonder if this winter is even possible with flu season in high gear and illnesses being mistaken for one another in addition to r Covid #s that dont seem to be going down.

Personally, I think it’s time to open the parks with the same rules that apply everywhere else like Target and Ralph’s. Yes I know they are essential but they are also indoors like DLs attractions. I think that DL with masks and social distancing and masks is probably safer than your local Target as folks are accustomed to following more rules and structure at theme parks. I also think Disneyland would open with a lot more guidance and structure as opposed to somewhere like Target where once you re inside shopping it’s a free for all.

It’s time to open the parks with the social distancing, mask requirements, limited capacity and all of the other safety precautions Disney would implement. Granted I wouldn’t be in a rush to go back with those rules in place but I think I and others should have the right to choose and I don’t think that governor should continue to hold Disney hostage.

Could they get away with opening DL with only outdoor attractions at least as a start? Would that work logistically (with limited capacity) and would it be financially feasible?
DL would not be doable with outdoor attractions only, DCA, Knott's and Sea World could work that way though. But I think the theme parks can easily make the case that indoor attractions are safe based on the amount of black lights they use and the fact that UV light is known to kill this virus.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My best guess at this point is now after labor day weekend; however, I think that will be a mistake, I think opening theme parks before labor day weekend would reduce the demand on beaches and spread out crowds over what is going to be a busy holiday weekend no matter what.
Just make sure you don't wear white.

Travel Junkie

Personally, I think it’s time to open the parks with the same rules that apply everywhere else like Target and Ralph’s. Yes I know they are essential but they are also indoors like DLs attractions. I think that DL with masks and social distancing and masks is probably safer than your local Target as folks are accustomed to following more rules and structure at theme parks. I also think Disneyland would open with a lot more guidance and structure as opposed to somewhere like Target where once you re inside shopping it’s a free for all.

You answered your own question when you said grocery stores are essential. If people could survive without groceries then they would be closed like other non essential services. Putting a place like Target or Ralph's in the same category as a theme park is disingenuous.

Personally I would put theme parks at a higher risk than a grocery store due to the number of people. Even if Disney limited attendance to something like 5K it would be vastly more people you could come into contact with than a trip to the store.

Even if you put them in the same risk category, the goal is to limit as many contacts with others as possible. A person is more at risk of infection by attending 10 medium risk events than they are going to 5 medium risk events. Not going to a theme park, or other non essential place reduces the risk simply by not being another potential place of infection.

mickEblu

You answered your own question when you said grocery stores are essential. If people could survive without groceries then they would be closed like other non essential services. Putting a place like Target or Ralph's in the same category as a theme park is disingenuous.

Personally I would put theme parks at a higher risk than a grocery store due to the number of people. Even if Disney limited attendance to something like 5K it would be vastly more people you could come into contact with than a trip to the store.

Even if you put them in the same risk category, the goal is to limit as many contacts with others as possible. A person is more at risk of infection by attending 10 medium risk events than they are going to 5 medium risk events. Not going to a theme park, or other non essential place reduces the risk simply by not being another potential place of infection.

I didn’t ask a question in my comparison of Target and DL. That was a statement.

I think calling Target a grocery store is a bit disingenuous. There’s a billion supermarkets open. If we re really trying to stop the spread did all the Targets need to be open too? If so, they should shut down the electronics section (and everything except food) and only keep the grocery store section open and Limit the people going in like Traders Joes does. So as we can see, there’s all kinds of gray areas when it comes to “essential” and I think with a little creativity and common sense and we can see how a theme park can operate safely today. I understand it’s more people and more chance for spread but it can be done safely. If anything it’ll be “safer“ then the beach in Malibu I went to on Sunday that was packed with nobody wearing masks.

mickEblu

Everyone keeps trying to say outside is so much safer than inside but to this I ask you would you rather be sneezed on outside by someone not wearing a mask or inside by someone wearing a mask?

Travel Junkie

I didn’t ask a question in my comparison of Target and DL. That was a statement.

I think calling Target a grocery store is a bit disingenuous. There’s a billion supermarkets open. If we re really trying to stop the spread did all the Targets need to be open too? If so, they should shut down the electronics section (and everything except food) and only keep the grocery store section open and Limit the people going on like Traders Joes does. So as we can there’s all kinds of gray areas when it comes to “essential” and I think with a little creativity and common sense and we can see how a theme park can operate safely today. I understand it’s more people and more chance for spread but it can be done safely. If anything it’ll be “safer“ then the beach in Malibu I went to on Sunday that was packed with nobody wearing masks.

I buy a lot of groceries and other essentials at Target.

I agree there are gray areas on what is open and what is closed right now. Part of that was this was supposed to to be manageable by now. Some places slowly reopened and simply didn't close again when cases spiked. Another big issue is that there has been no national leadership or vision on how to proceed. There are contradictions in what is and isn't open.

This is going to come off as being judgmental, but it's really not my intention. If American's were really interested in containing the virus, there wouldn't be crowded beaches with no one wearing masks. If Americans want to contain the virus, they would lay low for a while. Everyone. Again it's not a judgement, it's just the way it is. We now must live with the consequences for not committing 100%.

It doesn't irritate me that people choose to make decisions to be in a high risk situations. What irritates me is that people make the decision to be in a high risk situations and then don't like the consequences of those actions. The blueprint to success against this virus is pretty simple. Practically every other country has done it. As a whole America has yet to commit to it. As a result there are consequences and unfortunately way too many have/will lose their life for the action they or others took.

I would have no problem going to a theme park in Japan or South Korea right now. Everyone knows how to behave in this environment over there. I can't say that for America. Your comments have shown that you agree that there isn't anywhere near a 100% buy in to what is needed to go out in public safely. People won't magically behave differently the moment they walk through the ticket gates. There maybe a mask mandate, but someone who doesn't believe they should have to wear a mask, will remove it the moment they feel they aren't being watched. It's happened a lot in Florida.

One of two things need to happen before I think Disneyland should open. Infection rates plummet from current levels or the nation commits to doing what is needed in public to protect each other from virus transmission. Of course part two is the only way we get part one short of a vaccine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom