NFL 2020-21 Discussion Thread

PUSH

Original Poster
The NFL and NFLPA have reached an agreement on adjustments to the CBA. That means training camps will start soon! I am creating a thread for the new season, one that I'm sure will be very unique. This thread will take us through (hopefully) training camp, the regular season, and through the Super Bowl. Feel free to discuss all NFL topics in here.

Reminder: Please keep this thread welcoming and friendly. No trash talk allowed. Keep it light-hearted and fun!

Here are some highlights on the new CBA adjustments, if you're interested:
  • No preseason games
  • Practice squads expanded from 10 to 16
  • There will be opt out options for players. Players in a high risk category will receive a $350,000 stipend and their contracts will toll. Players not under high risk category who voluntarily opt out will receive a $150,000 stipend and their contracts will toll.
  • Training camp will consist of 20 days of a ramp-up period, and a maximum of 14 padded practices.
  • The league will spread any revenue shortfall over four years, beginning in 2021.
  • The salary cap will be a minimum of $175 million in 2021.
  • The 2020 salary cap has not changed.
  • Rosters must be trimmed to 80 players (from 90 currently) by August 16th. No more than 80 players will be allowed in the building at one time.
  • If any games were to be missed, players with guaranteed money in their contracts will be paid, but that money would come later. Either next year, or in the next year that he is a free agent.
I can't wait for football!

PUSH

Original Poster
In more breaking news, Alex Smith's doctors have cleared him for football activity. That doesn't mean he'll be suited up this season, but it's a huge step in his seemingly impossible recovery.

PUSH

Original Poster
He’s been disgruntled but he basically demanded a trade when the stories surfaced about Woody Johnson.
The Jets got safety Bradley McDougald, a 2021 1st round pick and 2021 3rd round pick, and a 2022 1st round pick. I would say that's a pretty good deal if you're the Jets.

PUSH

Original Poster
Bears DT Eddie Goldman and Vikings recent FA signing, DT Michael Pierce both opt out, too. Patriots LB Dont'a Hightower does, too.

PUSH

Original Poster
Just thinking this through. If you're a player with a long shot to make the roster, could you opt out and get the $150,000 stipend? With no preseason games, it may make it harder for undrafted guys to make the roster. Wouldn't it be in their best interest to opt out and try again next offseason?

PUSH

Original Poster
Apparently if a player passes the initial testing and enters the facility, any positive test after can be reviewed for reckless behavior. If proven, the player can go on the non-football injury list, opening up possible fines and suspensions. His base salary can also be reduced to zero.

That's a pretty big incentive to not go out to clubs or bars or large gatherings.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes

I can't blame ya, Matt. I'd have a hard time looking Tom eye-to-eye after letting that win slip away.

And yeah, it still stings. :facepalm:

I have never been so shocked at the way a game unfolded in my life. I remember sitting there, before the start of the second half, thinking to myself 'greatest comeback ever' over and over again, and then it happening.

It stings. That I didn't put a TON of money on that happening. I imagine odds were like +50000.

PUSH

Original Poster
The Packers have announced they will not have fans in the stadium for their first two home games. The rest of the season is to be determined. The Packers third home game is not until November, so they have a little extra time. But something tells me they just need to rip the band aid off and call it now. I don't think we'll be much better off come November.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
The Packers have announced they will not have fans in the stadium for their first two home games. The rest of the season is to be determined. The Packers third home game is not until November, so they have a little extra time. But something tells me they just need to rip the band aid off and call it now. I don't think we'll be much better off come November.

If you wait long enough, it'll be so cold at Lambeau that everyone will be wearing scarves around their face and be so covered up it won't matter

PUSH

Original Poster
Are fans expected this season? I feel like there's no way... right?
Expected to attend the games? I think that's up to each individual team. At this point, I can't see that happening. I don't see that happening before the end of the season, either, but some teams are leaving the door open a crack just in case. As a fan, there is no way I would attend an NFL game in person this season.

disneygeek90

Expected to attend the games? I think that's up to each individual team. At this point, I can't see that happening. I don't see that happening before the end of the season, either, but some teams are leaving the door open a crack just in case. As a fan, there is no way I would attend an NFL game in person this season.
That's what I figured. My friend was talking about their Jags seasons tickets and I... didn't understand how they even thought that was going to happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom