Then and Now - WDW Comparison Photos

wplong1

Premium Member
Forty-first photo pair. Then: Epcot March 1983. Canada pavilion as viewed from the center causeway in Epcot. Imagination pavilion on the right, below the monorail beam. Apparently, the rose garden along the walkway didn't exist then. The rose garden consisted of two large planted areas on the embankment. Note on the extreme right in the photo, the railing mounted above the wall is a wooden plank. (Thanks to @montyz81 for the photo posted elsewhere on this website.)

View attachment 398854

Now: Epcot August 2019. What a difference 36 years of tree growth makes. The Canada pavilion is all but obscured in this view. The railing mounted above the wall (right side of photo) is a stainless steel tube. A restroom (green roof in center left of photo) was added since 1983.

View attachment 398855

Love the perspective with the smaller trees SO much better!!

OneofThree

Just took the time to look through all these pics. I'd say I personally like about 30% of the changes. Much of this may come down to personal preference. At the same time, some things have clearly ruined the aesthetics. The hub is a freaking disaster. The scale of buildings is definitely been thrown off by overgrowth of trees. As far as the thread goes? There's definitely some absurdity which implies that "if someone likes it, anyone, it can't possibly be bad". This sort of thinking ignores principles of design, aesthetics, and to a significant degree, the nicely executed cohesiveness of the original designs.

Graham9

This is obviously the entrance Contemporary Resort as seen from the Monorail 'cockpit', before members of the public were banned from riding at the front with the driver. Taken August 1998.

ddbowdoin

I’m obsessed with this topic... I just started a new project working in Paris but in reality, how often will I get back to Paris! I love the side by side comparison of new and old. My IG is daniel_o_duarte if anyone is curious.

ParkPeeker

I was trying to make a comparison gif of the first pair of pictures in this thread, as someone in this thread suggested. But the pictures don't line up, since they're taken at different distances.

SteamboatJoe

Fortieth set of photo pairs. Then: Coronado Springs Resort February 2017. An overview from the balcony of one of the Casitas buildings.

View attachment 390658

Now: July 2019. Same view. Two of the Cabana buildings were replaced with the Gran Destino tower. The resort received an updated paint scheme.

View attachment 390659

Then: February 2017. The view from the walkway near The Dig Site leading to the Cabanas.

View attachment 390660

Now: July 2019.

View attachment 390661

Then: February 2017. The view from in front of The Dig Site.

View attachment 390662

Now: July 2019.

View attachment 390663

Then: February 2017. The view looking back from the bridge to The Dig Site.

View attachment 390664

Now: July 2019. The overhead lights attached to the poles may look the same, but they are slightly different. The landscaping around the bridge was also replaced.

View attachment 390665
Oh, this one makes me sad.

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Forty-second set of photo pairs. Disney Skyliner then and now at Caribbean Beach Resort.
Then: July 2017. The area across the road from Jamaica's building 41 had just been cleared for construction for the main Skyliner station.

IMG_9818 July 2017.JPG

Now: October 2019. The Jamaica sign is still by the road, but hidden by a new hedge to keep people from crossing the road at the wrong place.

IMG_2472 Oct 2019.JPG

Then: March 2017. As viewed from the road bridge, the area across the lake from Trinidad was still wilderness.

IMG_9543 Mar 2017.JPG

Now: October 2019. The Caribbean Beach Resort's Skyliner station now sits on the land across the lake.

IMG_2471 Oct 2019.JPG

Then: March 2017. A view from the beach at Trinidad. The construction fence in front of the guest rooms was there to facilitate the construction of Spyglass Grill.

IMG_9301 Mar 2017.JPG

Now: October 2019. The beach is still there, now with a view of the Skyliner station. Most of the beach's view (to the left) is still wilderness (see next photo).

IMG_2469 Oct 2019.JPG

IMG_2470 Oct 2019.JPG

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Forty-second set of photo pairs. Disney Skyliner then and now at Caribbean Beach Resort.
Then: July 2017. The area across the road from Jamaica's building 41 had just been cleared for construction for the main Skyliner station.

View attachment 419713

Now: October 2019. The Jamaica sign is still by the road, but hidden by a new hedge to keep people from crossing the road at the wrong place.

View attachment 419714

Then: March 2017. As viewed from the road bridge, the area across the lake from Trinidad was still wilderness.

View attachment 419716

Now: October 2019. The Caribbean Beach Resort's Skyliner station now sits on the land across the lake.

View attachment 419715

Then: March 2017. A view from the beach at Trinidad. The construction fence in front of the guest rooms was there to facilitate the construction of Spyglass Grill.

View attachment 419717

Now: October 2019. The beach is still there, now with a view of the Skyliner station. Most of the beach's view (to the left) is still wilderness (see next photo).

View attachment 419718

View attachment 419722
Always a joy to go through your photos, particularly in this thread. Thanks again for your work!

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Forty-third set of photo pairs. Disney Skyliner station at Hollywood Studios.
Then: March 2017. View from the old Disney bus transportation area towards the tree line in front of Hollywood Studios entrance.

IMG_9306 Mar 2017.JPG

Now: October 2019. The forested area replaced by the Disney Skyliner station.

IMG_2474 Oct 2019.JPG

Then: March 2017. As viewed from the lakeside fence at the Hollywood Studios entrance plaza, this forested area had existed since the park opened. The old Disney bus transportation area was to the right in this photo.

IMG_9313 Mar 2017.JPG

Now: October 2019. The Hollywood Studios Skyliner station sits on the previously forested area.

IMG_2476 Oct 2019.JPG

Then: March 2017. From across the lake at the FriendShip boat dock, the forested area in the center of the photo hid most of the bus and parking areas. The Hollywood Studios entrance is to the right.

IMG_9314 Mar 2017.JPG

Now: October 2019. The original forested area is gone. The Skyliner station and new restrooms building hide part of the bus terminals and parking lots.

IMG_2478 Oct 2019.JPG

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Forty-fourth set of photo pairs. Disney Skyliner station at Epcot's International Gateway.
Then: March 2017. The original plaza outside the International Gateway. Lots of open space arriving from the Epcot resorts.

IMG_9317 March 2017.JPG

Now: October 2019. Still lots of space, even with the Skyliner Station now.

IMG_2491 Oct 2019.JPG

Then: March 2017. The view from the bridge inside Epcot, looking back towards the International Gateway.

IMG_9327 Mar 2017.JPG

Now: October 2019. A few less trees along the waterfront at the International Gateway, and a large gondola tower.

IMG_2493 October 2019.JPG

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Forty-fifth set of photo pairs. The Skyliner 90 degree turn station outside the Boardwalk Resort.

Then: March 2017. Not many people walk along the pavement next to Buena Visa Drive, however, this was the view of the retention pond just beyond the Boardwalk Resort's parking lot. The traffic light leading into the old Hollywood Studios entrance was at the far end of this sidewalk.

IMG_9335 March 2017.JPG

Now: October 2019. The same view along the sidewalk.

IMG_2482 Oct 2019.JPG

Kane88

This thread will showcase changes to Walt Disney World over the years. My intent is to post pairs of photographs, from years ago to present day, of various WDW views to show the changes occurring to WDW. Some changes will be quite apparent (i.e., buildings, vegetation), while other changes will be more subtle (i.e., paint colors, details). You may enjoy "finding the differences" as you review the paired photos. All current photos were taken from as near as possible the exact spot as the original so that the perspective will be the same. However, some conditions were not controllable, such as weather.

I will only post photo pairs on occasion, so stay tuned. I have been collecting these photographs from private individuals and my own collection for some time, so I want to ensure they are accurate comparisons. Enjoy! - WDWtraveler

First photo pair: Then: October 1973. Cinderella Castle as viewed from Fantasyland's Mad Tea Party. The building on the right is Cheshire Café. Note the castle hillside is planted with grass.

View attachment 101071

Now: July 2015. 42 years later, the trees on the hillside obscure most of Cinderella Castle.

View attachment 101072
That’s a hill? I never knew it lol

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Forty-sixth set of photo pairs. The Riviera Resort built at the northern end of the Caribbean Beach Resort.
I wanted to take the "now" photos in March 2020 to match the original March 2017 photos, but rainy weather and the pandemic lockdown prevented that.

Then: March 2017. The Caribbean Beach lighthouse with Barbados resort buildings and forested area in the background.
CB lighthouse Mar 2017.JPG

Now: August 2020. The repainted lighthouse with the Riviera Resort replacing the Barbados buildings and forested area.
CB Lighthouse Aug 2020.JPG

Then: March 2017. The white sand beach between the Barbados buildings in the photo and Martinique buildings behind the camera.
CB Martinique no2 Mar 2017.JPG

Now: August 2020. The Riviera Resort and pool have replaced the Barbados buildings. The white sand beach is still there, including the small tree on the left. Even the fence remained as original.
CB Martinique no2 Aug 2020.JPG

Then: March 2017. The forested area and Barbados buildings on the right as viewed from the Martinique buildings (behind the camera). Note the small wooden bridge on the right in the photo. The tree in the foreground was used as a reference.
CB Martinique w tree Mar 2017.JPG

Now: August 2020. The Riviera Resort now occupies the forested area and Barbados buildings.
CB Martinique w tree Aug 2020.JPG

Then: March 2017. The white sand beach and Barbados buildings as viewed from the Martinique area of the Caribbean Beach resort.
CB Martinique no3 Mar 2017.JPG

Now: August 2020. The same view of the white sand beach, but with the Riviera Resort occupying the former Barbados building area.
CB Martinique no3 Aug 2020.JPG

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Then: March 2017. Aruba building 56 is at the northernmost part of the Aruba area. The parking lot here had a turnaround loop. The road in the foreground continued to the left towards the Barbados area.
CB building 56  Aruba Mar 2017.JPG

Now: August 2020. Aruba building 56 is now next to the Riviera Skyliner station (off the left side of the photo). The parking lot turnaround is still present, as is the oak tree in the foreground. However, the oak tree in the center of the turnaround area was replaced by one of the Skyliner towers.
CB building 56 Aruba Aug 2020.JPG

Then: March 2017. To the left of Aruba building 56, past the parking lot turnaround, existed the forested area between Aruba and Barbados buildings. Note the pine tree in the left foreground, next to the road.
CB Mar 2017 Bldg 56 turnaround parking.JPG

Now: August 2020. With the forested area removed, the Riviera Skyliner station was built. Only the pine tree in the left foreground next to the road remained.
CB Mar Bldg 56 turnaround parking.JPG

Then: March 2017. The Barbados bus stop was at the northern end of the Caribbean Beach resort property, closest to the original main entrance and the Custom House check-in building.
CB Barbados bus no2 Mar 2017.JPG

Now: August 2020. The roadway has been moved slightly, but this is close to the original location.
CB Barbados bus no2 Aug 2020.JPG

willtravel

Forty-sixth set of photo pairs. The Riviera Resort built at the northern end of the Caribbean Beach Resort.
I wanted to take the "now" photos in March 2020 to match the original March 2017 photos, but rainy weather and the pandemic lockdown prevented that.

Then: March 2017. The Caribbean Beach lighthouse with Barbados resort buildings and forested area in the background.
View attachment 489333

Now: August 2020. The repainted lighthouse with the Riviera Resort replacing the Barbados buildings and forested area.
View attachment 489334

Then: March 2017. The white sand beach between the Barbados buildings in the photo and Martinique buildings behind the camera.
View attachment 489335

Now: August 2020. The Riviera Resort and pool have replaced the Barbados buildings. The white sand beach is still there, including the small tree on the left. Even the fence remained as original.
View attachment 489336

Then: March 2017. The forested area and Barbados buildings on the right as viewed from the Martinique buildings (behind the camera). Note the small wooden bridge on the right in the photo. The tree in the foreground was used as a reference.
View attachment 489337

Now: August 2020. The Riviera Resort now occupies the forested area and Barbados buildings.
View attachment 489338

Then: March 2017. The white sand beach and Barbados buildings as viewed from the Martinique area of the Caribbean Beach resort.
View attachment 489340

Now: August 2020. The same view of the white sand beach, but with the Riviera Resort occupying the former Barbados building area.
View attachment 489341

For me, the 2020 pictures/addition not my taste. I like the old better :eek: JMO

MickeyLuv'r

Or it is possible to exist without drinking coffee at all. I never even knew that the bakery existed until all the hoopla about Starbucks. On the way in I was heading for rides and had already had breakfast. On the way out I was headed for dining and rest. I never once went to WDW for the food, so, it just was nothing I was interested in. I would think the fact that I am well beyond a little overweight and wasn't drawn in by the bakery is quite remarkable.

That's surprising. IME, the smell of chocolate chip cookies was almost overwhelming on Main Street, especially late at night.

I also recall a conversation I had some years ago with a CM over by Sleepy Hollow. That was back when they had their own chocolate chip cookies, and they made fresh ice cream sandwiches with their fresh baked cookies. Main Street still sold official branded Nestle Tollhouse cc cookies, but the SH ones were not Nestle. I forget exactly how I asked, but something along the lines of surprise that the SH ones weren't Nestle. she said they hadn't been Nestle in some years, but the one time they tried, people protested. She went on to say Disney would probably never change them.

Sigh.

The SH chocolate chunk cookies are now gone. They were SOOO good!

On a crazy side note (with apologies to you, GoofGoof), the other day I saw Mickey ice cream bars (the kind with ears +chocolate coating) at Target. I wasn't able to buy an though because they would have melted too fast, so I can't say if they taste like the ones at WDW.

Monorail_Red_77

That's surprising. IME, the smell of chocolate chip cookies was almost overwhelming on Main Street, especially late at night.

I also recall a conversation I had some years ago with a CM over by Sleepy Hollow. That was back when they had their own chocolate chip cookies, and they made fresh ice cream sandwiches with their fresh baked cookies. Main Street still sold official branded Nestle Tollhouse cc cookies, but the SH ones were not Nestle. I forget exactly how I asked, but something along the lines of surprise that the SH ones weren't Nestle. she said they hadn't been Nestle in some years, but the one time they tried, people protested. She went on to say Disney would probably never change them.

Sigh.

On a crazy side note (with apologies to you, GoofGoof), the other day I saw Mickey ice cream bars (the kind with ears +chocolate coating) at Target. I wasn't able to buy an though because they would have melted too fast, so I can't say if they taste like the ones at WDW.
Mmmmmmm
Reminds me of The ice cream cookie sandwich that was made for my oldest son at Pop Century last summer. He was able to pick the ice cream and cookies that they used, made it right in front of him. I think it was two or three scoops of ice cream. A nice big sandwhich. Just thinking about it makes me want one.

MickeyLuv'r

Mmmmmmm
Reminds me of The ice cream cookie sandwich that was made for my oldest son at Pop Century last summer. He was able to pick the ice cream and cookies that they used, made it right in front of him. I think it was two or three scoops of ice cream. A nice big sandwhich. Just thinking about it makes me want one.

The Sleepy hollow ones were the same. Fresh baked cookies and ice cream scooped to order. One of the little treats that used to make WDW special.

I guess that's why the Main Street Starbucks hit a little hard. Don't get me wrong, in general, I wouldn't say Starbucks is my favorite coffee, but it is FAR better than the coffee WDW served for many years. and I get why Starbucks would want to be located on Main Street, I just wish they'd been able to have Starbucks at every other WDW location instead. (or at least kept most of the Bakery the way it was.)

Speaking of Pop , well next door really...I used to love the Art of Animation food court station that was called tandoori. I just happened to go there last summer right before they changed it. As always the food was very good, and it was always fairly popular whenever I visited. I don't know why they got rid of it. Instead of the usual junk fast food, you could get a serving of butter chicken, good basmati rice, and awesome veggies like baked winter squash or spinach w/paneer. It was a great option for vegetarians and even the naan was tasty. WDW even had a real tandoori oven. Just so sad. I used to go over to the AoA food court just to get that platter; it was that good!

Goofyernmost

Sigh.

They taste the same, but are slightly smaller and as unbelievable as it is are not all that inexpensive. All they are is pure vanilla ice cream and dark chocolate coating. I will say that it isn't the same. Buying them there and eating them immediately at WDW has some sort of magical pull that makes them better, but they really aren't. Like I said just smaller and around $7.00 for four of them

MinnieWaffles

The Sleepy hollow ones were the same. Fresh baked cookies and ice cream scooped to order. One of the little treats that used to make WDW special.

I guess that's why the Main Street Starbucks hit a little hard. Don't get me wrong, in general, I wouldn't say Starbucks is my favorite coffee, but it is FAR better than the coffee WDW served for many years. and I get why Starbucks would want to be located on Main Street, I just wish they'd been able to have Starbucks at every other WDW location instead. (or at least kept most of the Bakery the way it was.)

Speaking of Pop , well next door really...I used to love the Art of Animation food court station that was called tandoori. I just happened to go there last summer right before they changed it. As always the food was very good, and it was always fairly popular whenever I visited. I don't know why they got rid of it. Instead of the usual junk fast food, you could get a serving of butter chicken, good basmati rice, and awesome veggies like baked winter squash or spinach w/paneer. It was a great option for vegetarians and even the naan was tasty. WDW even had a real tandoori oven. Just so sad. I used to go over to the AoA food court just to get that platter; it was that good!

It seems like a lot of the unique stuff from QS/food court is disappearing. People just want to chow down on burgers and nuggets and it's such a shame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom