Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Surferboy567

I don’t know specifically, but when I ran the Myrtle Beach Marathon this year, about $55 covered a medal and long sleeve tech shirt, both of the same quality Disney uses, plus entertainment, food/water stops, a tank top for finishers and two craft beers.

However, we didn’t get a “digital goody bag” so maybe that’s where the huge price difference comes into play? 🤔 😉

It’s no doubt overpriced but let’s see if I can break this down. I’ll use some races as an example.

Virtual 5K (one single race)- 40

Wine and Dine 5K- 80

So you are paying 40 for the shirt. Does that seem like they would normally charge Disney tax and all?

Virtual Half- 60

Wine and Dine Half- 118

59 dollar difference this one is definitely a harder sell

I can’t compare to the 10K to anything since their normally aren’t any virtual 10K’s...which baffles me.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It’s no doubt overpriced but let’s see if I can break this down. I’ll use some races as an example.

Virtual 5K (one single race)- 40

Wine and Dine 5K- 80

So you are paying 40 for the shirt. Does that seem like they would normally charge Disney tax and all?

Virtual Half- 60

Wine and Dine Half- 118

59 dollar difference this one is definitely a harder sell

But it's a W&D t- shirt.

One year, you could buy a SW Virtual Half t-shirt online. I did and wore it when I ran. Just as for the first year or two of the Virtual 5ks, you could purchase a t-shirt and magnet. AND you got some goodies, in addition to the medals. Year #2 come with a nice microfiber towel. Year 3 came with a resistance band a cooling gel pack.

Surferboy567

But it's a W&D t- shirt.

One year, you could buy a SW Virtual Half t-shirt online. I did and wore it when I ran. Just as for the first year or two of the Virtual 5ks, you could purchase a t-shirt and magnet. AND you got some goodies, in addition to the medals. Year #2 come with a nice microfiber towel. Year 3 came with a resistance band a cooling gel pack.

Wish they would offer more merch for the virtual races. I came into the picture during last year’s virtual series so I’m still learning.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Beyond my regular everyday running (about 2 mil a day) do I have to “train” for a 10K?

You should. You want to increase your miles over time so you can comfortably run the distance of your selected race. Look at the Galloway training on runDisney's site. Hal Higdon's is another good one. Just find one that works for you.

RememberWhen

You should. You want to increase your miles over time so you can comfortably run the distance of your selected race. Look at the Galloway training on runDisney's site. Hal Higdon's is another good one. Just find one that works for you.
I didn’t do any training for our virtual 5ks. I hadn’t run at all prior, except when the dog got out or the kids ran toward the road. It’s been pretty great. I’ve been trying to do the Tuesday/Thursday runs with a longer run on the weekends. Doesn’t always happen, but I’m really liking the motivation to step things up for the 10k. That’s longer than I’ve run before. But there’s lots of time between now and November, and hopefully the weather cools off a bit. I know the pricing was a little high, but it’s cheaper than a gym membership (that I wouldn’t want to use) and, for me, it’s pretty exciting to run a Disney race.

Surferboy567

I didn’t do any training for our virtual 5ks. I hadn’t run at all prior, except when the dog got out or the kids ran toward the road. It’s been pretty great. I’ve been trying to do the Tuesday/Thursday runs with a longer run on the weekends. Doesn’t always happen, but I’m really liking the motivation to step things up for the 10k. That’s longer than I’ve run before. But there’s lots of time between now and November, and hopefully the weather cools off a bit. I know the pricing was a little high, but it’s cheaper than a gym membership (that I wouldn’t want to use) and, for me, it’s pretty exciting to run a Disney race.

I hadn’t done any either for my virtual 5K’s. I am now however, recognizing the need for training.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I hadn’t done any either for my virtual 5K’s. I am now however, recognizing the need for training.

Yeah, you don't want to run a half marathon with little to no training. It's doubtful you'd finish and the injury you could do..... Plus, you want to be able to walk.

LAKid53

Premium Member
@LAKid53 hit post too quickly - she meant to say: Plus, you want to be able to walk “once you’ve finished the race“.

Thanks for the clarification, my friend. But yes, you want to be able to walk once you complete the race. While there are medical staff with wheelchairs at the finish line, you have to get on and off the bus back to the resort under your own power. Those bus steps are brutal. Trust me, I've been there. Not because I wasn't trained, but because I developed a massive bluster that rubbed the skin off my right foot along the pad under my toes. Yeah, it wasn't fun and I spent two days just laying around in my resort room because I couldn't put any weight on that foot. Thank goodness I had chocolate donuts in the freezer. 😄

Surferboy567

Thanks for the clarification, my friend. But yes, you want to be able to walk once you complete the race. While there are medical staff with wheelchairs at the finish line, you have to get on and off the bus back to the resort under your own power. Those bus steps are brutal. Trust me, I've been there. Not because I wasn't trained, but because I developed a massive bluster that rubbed the skin off my right foot along the pad under my toes. Yeah, it wasn't fun and I spent two days just laying around in my resort room because I couldn't put any weight on that foot. Thank goodness I had chocolate donuts in the freezer. 😄

That sounds miserable. Hooray for donuts! Thanks for the tips everyone! I think I have my strategy outlined in the Star Wars thread.

LAKid53

Premium Member
That sounds miserable. Hooray for donuts! Thanks for the tips everyone! I think I have my strategy outlined in the Star Wars thread.

The 2018 Princess Half weekend was very warm. Got warmer each race day. I believe by the half on Sunday, conditions were yellow flag. Was low 70s at start time and got hotter as the sun rose. Not a cloud in the sky. Humidity in the 80s and mid to upper 80s temperature. Not ideal.

Surferboy567

The 2018 Princess Half weekend was very warm. Got warmer each race day. I believe by the half on Sunday, conditions were yellow flag. Was low 70s at start time and got hotter as the sun rose. Not a cloud in the sky. Humidity in the 80s and mid to upper 80s temperature. Not ideal.

Yea, 80 doesn’t sound fun at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom