Popular Ice Cream Chain Ample Hills Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Lilofan

I would like a return of something like the sweet shop that used to be there, which fit the Boardwalk theme much better than Ample Hills. Ice cream, milkshakes, floats, and candy. Ample Hills had good ice cream (although Vivoli Il Gelato at Disney Springs is vastly superior), but it just felt like a random ice cream shop rather than something that fit the Boardwalk.
Ice cream shops go with the theme of Boardwalk similar to NJ Boardwalks.

UNCgolf

Ice cream shops go with the theme of Boardwalk similar to NJ Boardwalks.

I know. I didn't say there shouldn't be ice cream there -- as I said, the old sweet shop had ice cream, milkshakes, etc.

My point was that Ample Hills looked like a modern day random ice cream shop, whereas the old sweet shop was themed to look more like something from the turn of the century. I'd prefer whatever replaces it have the theming that Ample Hills lacked. I certainly won't be holding my breath for that, though.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I know. I didn't say there shouldn't be ice cream there -- as I said, the old sweet shop had ice cream, milkshakes, etc.

My point was that Ample Hills looked like a modern day random ice cream shop, whereas the old sweet shop was themed to look more like something from the turn of the century. I'd prefer whatever replaces it have the theming that Ample Hills lacked. I certainly won't be holding my breath for that, though.

I know what you mean. it would be really nice to have a working taffy shop with the machines in the window or something like that.

That place has the best ice cream I have ever tasted.

If we all survive this (parks included) be sure get salt and straw on your next visit to California. I’m a huge fan of ice cream and they were my favorite before they opened up in Anaheim.

MrPromey

I wouldn't mind seeing a Goofy's Candy Co. shop in that location and include ice cream sales.

When this resort reopens, they need to get something in there because it looks awful with an empty storefront sitting there.

I know Disney likes the guaranteed income of a tenant but selling ice cream isn't rocket sciences - they already have the place across the water, and I think branding it as a Goofy's Candy Co. place and selling that candy which they arelready have along with ice cream would be pretty easy.

It doesn't feel like a stretch to put a taffy stretcher in there, in the front window - even if it's just for theme, either.

This seems like something they could quickly replace when a tenant is found.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
If they are going the 3rd party route again, I'd love a Jeni's. There is something about their ice cream that is just incredible. They have no presence in Orlando, although one shop down the road in Tampa.

MickeyMouse10

Brothers and Sisters we are living in dark times. But we must remember those things that we have lost along the way.

in the words of 90's hottie Sarah Mclachlan

"I will remember you, will you remember me (eating you)?
Don't let your life (time spent on my cone or in my cup) pass you by
Weep not for the memories
(dramatic pause)
Remember the good times that we had (... okay mostly me)."

Flynnwriter

Disney, pss here’s a secret... you design, open and run your own ice cream parlor. If you’re daring, try theming it to the resort. (Remember when you used to do that?). PS: Don’t hire the team who ruined Beaches & Cream.

UNCgolf

Disney, pss here’s a secret... you design, open and run your own ice cream parlor. If you’re daring, try theming it to the resort. (Remember when you used to do that?). PS: Don’t hire the team who ruined Beaches & Cream.

Exactly what I've been saying! Ample Hills may have had good ice cream, but the theming was non-existent. Please bring back a ice cream parlor/milkshake shop with boardwalk theming. It can be a candy/taffy store too, if you want.

Jon81uk

This comes back to a question being asked in the restaurant forum, what drives you to choose a restaurant.
You are arguing here that theme is most important, but they would probably then just serve the same generic ice cream that is available all over WDW.

I would argue good quality food is more important, so Ample Hills was better as it is better ice cream than what is served elsewhere at WDW. Some people would also go out of their way to get that higher quality product.

UNCgolf

This comes back to a question being asked in the restaurant forum, what drives you to choose a restaurant.
You are arguing here that theme is most important, but they would probably then just serve the same generic ice cream that is available all over WDW.

I would argue good quality food is more important, so Ample Hills was better as it is better ice cream than what is served elsewhere at WDW. Some people would also go out of their way to get that higher quality product.

Why not both? They could have had an Ample Hills location that was actually themed correctly for the area rather than the generic one that existed.

At Disney, theme is (or at least should be) a major component. That doesn't mean it should top food quality, but I don't want to feel like I'm walking into a random place at a strip mall when I'm there.

rangerbob

They only know how to bring in mediocre ice cream from other companies unless if I missed it. I don't know if they know how to make ice cream.

Skywise

They’ve ruined Beaches and Cream?!

JusticeDisney

How has Beaches and Cream been ruined, in your opinion?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom