After some info on history

WDWUKFAN

Original Poster
Hi all!

I'm new to the forums from the UK, nice to meet you all!
I wondered if anyone could help me, I went to Disney when I was around 9-10 years old with my grandparents this was back in October 2001, it was a 'once in a lifetime trip' my grandfather went above and beyond paying for everything, we stayed at the Contemporary Resort and had a 14 day ticket to WDW but also had what I always believed to be a FastPass.
This is where I can find any info on this or my memory has tricked me. I have since been to WDW and has FastPass+ that we get when we buy a day ticket, from my memory this isn't what we had when we went to WDW back in 2001 what I remember is the "FastPass" that we had give us unlimited access to the rides in a FastPass queue (similar to Express Pass at Universal). I know that WDW used to use paper FastPasses, but the FastPass I had was also my room key for Contemporary Resort so I don't think it was a paper pass.

My question is was there a different system to FastPass previously maybe something you needed to pay extra for to allow you to jump the queues or is it something that you had when you stayed at the Contemporary (similar to how Universal give Express Passes when staying at Hard Rock or Portofino Bay Hotels) or have I just imagined this whole scenario and this never existed (also, I never visited Universal after this visit and never used their express pass so I don't believe I have got confused with the 2 different systems)

Goofyernmost

Fastpass came into existence in 1999. It was a simple paper ticket distributed at kiosk's close to the attractions that they were intended to be used. Not all attractions had Fastpass and you could get a limited number at one time. (Don't remember how many). When you used them you could get another. There was a point in time when the window was meaningless and you could collect Fastpasses and use them beyond the designated time at any part of the day. That wasn't Disney policy, but the CM's kind of took over and Disney didn't try to stop it. I don't recall any "special" Fastpasses at that time, but it is possible for certain Disney rewards, I suppose.

You could get one for every ticket verified to be active through the gate. That was to stop people from sending one person with a hand full of tickets in their pockets and collected them before the rest of the party ever got into the park. I don't believe that there was any special treatment for people staying on-site then any given guests no matter where they slept. You couldn't reserve them any days in advance because, technically, you had to be there physically to get one always on the day you were visiting.

The plus side of that was that if you could all get there early enough you had a good chance of getting the Fastpass of your choice. The downside was that their was a specific number of them allocated for the day. When they ran out, they ran out.

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Hi all!

I'm new to the forums from the UK, nice to meet you all!
I wondered if anyone could help me, I went to Disney when I was around 9-10 years old with my grandparents this was back in October 2001, it was a 'once in a lifetime trip' my grandfather went above and beyond paying for everything, we stayed at the Contemporary Resort and had a 14 day ticket to WDW but also had what I always believed to be a FastPass.
This is where I can find any info on this or my memory has tricked me. I have since been to WDW and has FastPass+ that we get when we buy a day ticket, from my memory this isn't what we had when we went to WDW back in 2001 what I remember is the "FastPass" that we had give us unlimited access to the rides in a FastPass queue (similar to Express Pass at Universal). I know that WDW used to use paper FastPasses, but the FastPass I had was also my room key for Contemporary Resort so I don't think it was a paper pass.

My question is was there a different system to FastPass previously maybe something you needed to pay extra for to allow you to jump the queues or is it something that you had when you stayed at the Contemporary (similar to how Universal give Express Passes when staying at Hard Rock or Portofino Bay Hotels) or have I just imagined this whole scenario and this never existed (also, I never visited Universal after this visit and never used their express pass so I don't believe I have got confused with the 2 different systems)

As previously stated Fastpass started in 1999.
Everyone could access it for free just like FP+.
You walked up to a Fastpass machine at the attraction that offered it and put your ticket in.
It would give you your ticket back along with a paper Fastpass that had a 1 hour window in wich you were supposed to use it.
After you used it or 2 hours after you got it (whichever came first) you could go get another.
My guess is that you did the loophole way of things by collecting multiple Fastpasses and then using them later than that 1 hour window.
They did eventually close that loophole.
Also you had a key to the world card which was your room key and park ticket.
I mean it is possible that there was a VIP add on that allowed for skipping the lines or receiving multiple Fastpasses but I'm not personally aware of any that existed at that time.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I mean it is possible that there was a VIP add on that allowed for skipping the lines or receiving multiple Fastpasses but I'm not personally aware of any that existed at that time.
You couldn’t buy them but they were available. Just show at the entrance to any FP queue as often as you want.

Pepper's Ghost

I'll bet they had those skip-the-queue passes for VIPs, but I don't believe it was anything you could purchase. You probably had to know someone, or be Tom Cruise, or something like that. Considering the description of the trip, I'm guessing grandpa had some connections and was able to get privileged access to the parks. We fools who don't know anyone and just play by the rules don't have access to perks like that. 🙃 If they were able to be purchased, most people would and that would nullify their effectiveness, and basically just turn that into the new price to go to Disney.

NelleBelle

It wasn't special for the UK passes was it? I know the UK visitors get special "perks" that the domestic park-goers don't always have access to (e.g. 14-day tickets, free meal plans, etc). Have no idea if that went with FP, just wondering...

dave&di

It wasn't special for the UK passes was it? I know the UK visitors get special "perks" that the domestic park-goers don't always have access to (e.g. 14-day tickets, free meal plans, etc). Have no idea if that went with FP, just wondering...
Here in the Uk you generally get a 14 day ticket for the price of a 7 day ticket, when I used to go between 2008-2013 I had the Disney Dining plan and sometime free Disney Dollars 😁

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
My last visit was 2013, it was still the Fastpass, I wish it was that now 😢Due to go in 2022 and don’t like the look of the new technology!
You may end up being surprised.
When it comes to tech I'm not usually all in. Sometimes I actually prefer not using tech shortcuts etc. I'm a bit more old school in that way but when tech helps me be able to do things that I'd have a hard time doing otherwise due to my visual impairment its life changing.
To me My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, Fastpass+, mobile order, etc are a real help and time saver on my usually short Disney trips.
It makes it so you're not constantly running across the park to get a fastpass for this ride then for that ride etc and then finding out that fastpass for Toy Story is gone for the day, not waiting in long lines to order, not walking around aimlessly hoping someone will be done eating while you carry your tray trying not to spill your drink, not having to pull out a plastic ticket when you walk up to a Fastpass line and then thinking its going in your pocket for safe keeping and realizing later it didn't make it there etc.
I feel like I can relax more on my trips. Just find a shaded area to sit to check on wait times, look for a Fastpass, and then order some lunch and tap that you're there once you leisurely walk form your shaded area to the restaurant.

Pepper's Ghost

When it comes to tech I'm not usually all in. Sometimes I actually prefer not using tech shortcuts etc. I'm a bit more old school in that way but when tech helps me be able to do things that I'd have a hard time doing otherwise due to my visual impairment its life changing.
To me My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, Fastpass+, mobile order, etc are a real help and time saver on my usually short Disney trips.
It makes it so you're not constantly running across the park to get a fastpass for this ride then for that ride etc and then finding out that fastpass for Toy Story is gone for the day, not waiting in long lines to order, not walking around aimlessly hoping someone will be done eating while you carry your tray trying not to spill your drink, not having to pull out a plastic ticket when you walk up to a Fastpass line and then thinking its going in your pocket for safe keeping and realizing later it didn't make it there etc.
I feel like I can relax more on my trips. Just find a shaded area to sit to check on wait times, look for a Fastpass, and then order some lunch and tap that you're there once you leisurely walk form your shaded area to the restaurant.
Firstly, I'm vehemently anti-Fastpass+. What you're describing though is fantastic. I'd totally agree if they only allowed same-day Fastpass. The worst part about Fastpass is planning what rides you want FP+ for months in advance. If they went with same-day only Fastpass using Magic Bands, phones, whatever, I'm all in. It's the booking months, weeks, or even days in advance that's awful.

They should allow FP to be booked same day while in park only. If you're not within the park's perimeter (or at least on property), then it shouldn't let you book it IMO. I think most people would prefer that. One hour before park open, FP mobile system opens up for that day. You have to be on property, so that gives priority to people staying on property. So many pluses for Disney and visitors with that simple change.

FettFan

I miss paper Fastpass. Their design always reminded me of Monopoly spaces.
ht098ua6ec911.jpg
1595972259106.png

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Firstly, I'm vehemently anti-Fastpass+. What you're describing though is fantastic. I'd totally agree if they only allowed same-day Fastpass. The worst part about Fastpass is planning what rides you want FP+ for months in advance. If they went with same-day only Fastpass using Magic Bands, phones, whatever, I'm all in. It's the booking months, weeks, or even days in advance that's awful.

They should allow FP to be booked same day while in park only. If you're not within the park's perimeter (or at least on property), then it shouldn't let you book it IMO. I think most people would prefer that. One hour before park open, FP mobile system opens up for that day. You have to be on property, so that gives priority to people staying on property. So many pluses for Disney and visitors with that simple change.
Thing is I know now what rides I will want to fastpass a year from now and it's not randomly going to change so I dont mind being able to choose them ahead of time.
Same thing with dining reservations. I know what type of food I like and where to go to eat it and I'm not gonna suddenly say oh wait I'm not in the mood for xyz the day of.

dave&di

I see your point and I’m sure I’ll adjust, but all the things you stated are what a typical WDW was to me! 😂

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I see your point and I’m sure I’ll adjust, but all the things you stated are what a typical WDW was to me! 😂

Think now you could actually start enjoying your trips lol.
I feel much more free to do what I want when I want with MDE because I have control of when I go on what ride etc instead of a machine telling me I need to come back in 5 hours. What if I wanted to park hop etc?

Kane88

Fastpass came into existence in 1999. It was a simple paper ticket distributed at kiosk's close to the attractions that they were intended to be used. Not all attractions had Fastpass and you could get a limited number at one time. (Don't remember how many). When you used them you could get another. There was a point in time when the window was meaningless and you could collect Fastpasses and use them beyond the designated time at any part of the day. That wasn't Disney policy, but the CM's kind of took over and Disney didn't try to stop it. I don't recall any "special" Fastpasses at that time, but it is possible for certain Disney rewards, I suppose.

You could get one for every ticket verified to be active through the gate. That was to stop people from sending one person with a hand full of tickets in their pockets and collected them before the rest of the party ever got into the park. I don't believe that there was any special treatment for people staying on-site then any given guests no matter where they slept. You couldn't reserve them any days in advance because, technically, you had to be there physically to get one always on the day you were visiting.

The plus side of that was that if you could all get there early enough you had a good chance of getting the Fastpass of your choice. The downside was that their was a specific number of them allocated for the day. When they ran out, they ran out.

You could have only one Fastpass at a time unless the return window was more than two hours after you’ve made the reservation in which then you could make a second one after two hours. Fastpass was free for all guests, no special treatment for on property guests and as stated above it was at a more limited set of attractions. Disneyland largely uses the original system today, although There is now an option to reserve electronically for a small fee.

NelleBelle

LOVE Disneyland's Maxpass! If WDW were ever going to uncharge for FP, they should return to the old FP system (day-of, no 30-60 day windows ahead of time) and then pay for Maxpass if you want!

EOD K9

You could get one for every ticket verified to be active through the gate
That wasn't always the case. There was a time I would always keep the previous KTTW card in my wallet. On one trip I took that one out instead and the kiosk spat out a ticket. Needless to say, on my subsequent trip a few months later, I may have brought some previous cards. That loophole lasted about a year from the time I did that the first time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom