Team Prospero Brainstorming Thread - Project Ten: The Great Literature Ride

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Project Ten: The Great Literature Ride

1595872896568.png

In season ten, we did a Great Broadway Ride prompt that ended up being one of my all time favorite projects. The Great ____ Ride formula is a wonderful thing to use for Armchair Imagineering as it allows for a research intensive project that's fun and easy to put together with scenes that don't have to have any sort of real connection to each other other than being from the same medium. As you can probably guess with the title of the prompt, this time around you're making a Great Literature Ride to be placed in a park of your choice. The park doesn't have to be Disney, but the ride itself should follow the Great Movie Ride formula of many different scenes of the greatest moments in the history of the medium. As far as timeline is concerned, I'll entirely leave it up to the team to determine when the cut-off for "Great Literature" should be. @goofyyukyukyuk17 has been awarded last round's PoMVP and cannot be nominated for elimination. Speaking of elimination, this round will be the dreaded second DOUBLE ELIMINATION. The Project Leader must nominate three people for elimination this time around, and only one will continue on to the next round. Big project, big stakes. As Doctor Strange would say, were in the Endgame now...

Good luck team. This project is due Tuesday, August 4th at 11:59PM Eastern.

NigelChanning

This is such an interesting prompt! Here are some of my ideas for scenes in the ride:
Journey to the Center of the Earth
The adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Dracula
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
Winnie the Pooh
A Christmas Carol
The Wizard of Oz
Treasure Island
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Paddington
Peter Rabbit
Dr. Suess

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Oh boy, this should be interesting. And I was just cleaning up my home library!

Anyway, just to kick off the conversation, I think we should first select the genres to feature in the ride, i.e., romance, thriller, mystery, etc. Then, within each genre, we select which specific works that could be represented.

Like so:
Romance - Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen - 1813), Doctor Zhivago (Boris Pasternak - 1957), Ella Enchanted (Gail Carson Levine - 1997), Simon vs. the H*mo Sapiens Agenda (Becky Albertalli, 2013)
(Also why is the word "h*mo" blurred out the heck)

Last edited:

DashHaber

Anyway, just to kick off the conversation, I think we should first select the genres to feature in the ride, i.e., romance, thriller, mystery, etc. Then, within each genre, we select which specific seminal works that will be represented.
I highly agree with that. If we can settle first on what genres we want to showcase, that gives us a frame and structure for which stories to represent.

AceAstro

Anyway, just to kick off the conversation, I think we should first select the genres to feature in the ride, i.e., romance, thriller, mystery, etc. Then, within each genre, we select which specific seminal works that will be represented.
100%! It would make it much easier if we have “highlights” of the categories.

How many categories should we have? 8? 10? You don’t want something too grand scale per se

NigelChanning

How many categories should we have? 8? 10? You don’t want something too grand scale per se
I’d love to represent fantasy, horror, mystery, romance, adventure, and children’s books. I’m not exactly sure what “thriller” entails lol

AceAstro

I’d love to represent fantasy, horror, mystery, romance, adventure, and children’s books. I’m not exactly sure what “thriller” entails lol
Agatha Christie is probably the most famous Thriller author.

There are also a lot of amazing horror books out there. Would it make sense to have a separate “monster” category? I feel it’s hard to put Frankenstein/ Dracula next to The Shining/ IT but both should be on the ride.

NigelChanning

Agatha Christie is probably the most famous Thriller author.

There are also a lot of amazing horror books out there. Would it make sense to have a separate “monster” category? I feel it’s hard to put Frankenstein/ Dracula next to The Shining/ IT but both should be on the ride.
Both are meant to be scary so I’d personally put them both together. Maybe two sub-genres? Also, I think there should be four books represented for each genre. I think it works pretty well.

DashHaber

8-10 makes for a good variety. I think The Great Movie Ride had around that range in terms of variety, as well.

In terms of genres, I'd say adventure, mystery, horror, science fiction, fantasy, romance, fairy tale, and historical.

Sharon&Susan

This is such an interesting prompt! Here are some of my ideas for scenes in the ride:
Journey to the Center of the Earth
The adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Dracula
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
Winnie the Pooh
A Christmas Carol
The Wizard of Oz
Treasure Island
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Paddington
Peter Rabbit
Dr. Suess
Great choices! One scene I'd personally love to see in this is the final act in the North Pole from Frankenstein in the book. It's not present in many adaptions, but it's a powerful climax and I think we could do a ton of interesting things with it visually.

goofyyukyuk

Just to keep things in perspective, the Great Movie Ride only featured scenes from 12 movies (according to wiki), and I think it’s really vast in scope to try and do roughly that many categories with multiple works in each one. I think either doing 12, 6, or 4 categories makes the most sense, unless we’re not trying to be formulaic with the number of works per category

DashHaber

Just to keep things in perspective, the Great Movie Ride only featured scenes from 12 movies (according to wiki), and I think it’s really vast in scope to try and do roughly that many categories with multiple works in each one. I think either doing 12, 6, or 4 categories makes the most sense, unless we’re not trying to be formulaic with the number of works per category
Good point. Perhaps we could go with 6 genres, going with broader genre types to allow for multiple entries per genre.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom