Which is the better ride?
The Great Movie ride

1615483482121.png

or

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

1615483563245.png

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Don't get me wrong. I loved the Great Movie Ride and made sure I rode it every single visit that I made to WDW. However, as is depicted by the above video, TGMR had lost it's draw. It was a great ride that had run it's course and there was no guarantee that redoing it would have made any difference. It wasn't something that the newer guest were all that impressed with. They didn't understand the goal of the ride which was to highlight the movies that made Hollywood what we think it was now. All you ever heard was why don't they show more recent pictures? Because they weren't the movies that started the whole industry, the cross section of the ones depicted were those movies that were the beginning and the thing that made movies such a success. Since people didn't understand it and felt it was boring, it was dying a slow death. Sad, but actual.

Mickey and Minnie are timeless and since they are depicted like they currently are presented in movie shorts, it is relatable and current. Plus it has some magnificent technological showmanship that is flawlessly done. Today I would have to say that MMRR is just the medicine needed to save the wonderful depiction of the Chinese Theater. If they hadn't had the idea for MMRR, that building would have been gone and replaced by yet another Star Wars or Pixar segment. MMRR is also open for piecemeal alterations without ruining the show. I give it a thumbs up (X2) as I did with TGMR back in it's wonderful time. It is now a very fond memory which can be relived by the video's, which by now probably number in the thousands.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moka

You know, I'm surprised. Disney did a fantastic job with railway. Normally rethemes are looked down upon heavily, but I believe while GMR was a super well done classic, it was time for it to go. This is a worthy retheme.

And it's fantastic to see many feel the same way.

oh yeah Mickey and Minnie's railway has my vote.

Ldno

You can’t compare the two, same building completely different feel to it, with GMR it felt packed and busy, with Runaway Railway it feels huge and empty, either way I kind of love Runaway since it’s modern and finally a Mickey Mouse ride in disney

dave&di

I haven’t been to WDW since the new ride but I have watched it on YouTube. I am a terrible WDW traditionalist ☺️ I loved TGMR, I think animatronics scream ‘WDW’ to me! The runaway railway does look good and I think it’ll grow on me if I do it a few times. But I don’t like change! ☺️

DisAl

I HATE the new cheap looking animation where they move characters mouths to the side of the head rather than turning the head. Looks more like something a 4 year old drew rather than traditional high quality animation.
It is probably cheaper to do it that way..... :(

Goofyernmost

I checked off MMRR simply because I don't live in the past. I did like TGMR but it is history. It no longer exists, in the words of Monty Python "it is a dead parrot". I think, even though it is different, it is easily as entertaining then TGMR ever was and technologically incredible. And that is without even seeing it anywhere other then video. In it's time and the park theme TGMR was a perfectly designed show, but, the concept would not really hold anymore and therefore is better left part of our fond memories.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom