Trip Report ***COMPLETED*** Happy Howdyween - September 2019

Hello friends, and welcome to another J and K trip report! Since we’re all stuck at home with no word on when the Disney parks will reopen, I thought I would bring you all along to relive the magic of our last WDW trip. After all, this is WDW Magic, and you all have only seen J and I go to Disneyland together.

Who: Myself (Katie) and my husband and Disney travel partner, Jason. We are WDW Annual Passholders (technically only I am at the moment), and Georgia peaches. We have been to WDW together 11 times since our initial trip for our first wedding anniversary in 2014.

CECCCA57-2F83-4D36-A6B9-E599FBF46664.jpeg

When: September 7th-11th, 2019

Where: Fort Wilderness! Hence the title, Happy HOWDYween!

Why: MNSSHP, Food and Wine, and seeing Galaxy’s Edge for the first time

Since it’s been 8 months since this trip, I don’t remember everything, so I’ll have to use my photos and Instagram stories from this trip to try to fill in the gaps in my memory. I hope that reliving this trip will help tide me over until we can be back in The World, and that I can help some of you who are also going through Disney withdrawals!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
September 10th - Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party - Continued

Around 9:30-9:45, J and I were satisfied with everything we had accomplished at MNSSHP (mostly trick-or-treating!), so we decided to grab our spots for the new fireworks show - Disney’s Not So Spooky Spectacular. We had enjoyed HalloWishes in the past, so we were apprehensive about a new fireworks show.

462D41B5-178B-432C-BD60-27F55ABA43F5.jpeg

49226FA0-CB77-4A82-AE34-78AA239C4C41.jpeg

67B698D8-3D17-46DF-BF26-FC1106BA7BCA.jpeg

223C54C0-8B3B-44EE-A9CD-801E0FF367F7.jpeg

98D690F3-32C5-4263-BB11-FC14111079FF.jpeg

062C10B3-C397-4606-9EE0-C96D2B06D42F.jpeg

5525C785-D1E5-44FD-8BAA-64C1A073531F.jpeg

12E665F8-EE2C-41BA-A521-1A9630D9BDD9.jpeg

So what did we think? I really loved it. I though the projections were incredible (really, the photos don’t do them justice), and the soundtrack was really fun. I found myself singing “Trick or treat...trick or treat...trick or treat for Halloweeeen!” for the next month after the party. Throughout the entirety of the show, J and I kept saying “WOW!” over and over again. I will say, if you’re not close enough to see the projections, it’s probably not as great of a show - it’s very similar to Happily Ever After in that the show heavily relies on the projections more so than the fireworks themselves. It is also definitely more on the cutesy side of Halloween than on the spooky side, which is right up my alley. I think I actually prefer the new show to HalloWishes. Jason liked the show for all the same reasons I did, but he said he still prefers HalloWishes. I’m really bummed that we won’t be seeing this one again this year!

Up next: Boo to you and you and you and you

Last edited:

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Your photos are incredible!!! I've never done the MNSSHP but your pictures make me wish that I had!
Thank you! The pictures really don’t do the fireworks show justice. I rewatched it on YouTube yesterday, and I will still blown away by the projections!

DouglasE

What wonderful pictures of the castle during the Not So Spooky Spectacular! I think the teams they have doing the night time spectaculars are just on point. I think you had the right idea about your outfits. It sounded like you did something special, but ensured that you would be comfortable and not miserable. Good for you. After the show, what did you do? Did you exit immediately or did you hang around?

k8einwdw

Original Poster
What wonderful pictures of the castle during the Not So Spooky Spectacular! I think the teams they have doing the night time spectaculars are just on point. I think you had the right idea about your outfits. It sounded like you did something special, but ensured that you would be comfortable and not miserable. Good for you. After the show, what did you do? Did you exit immediately or did you hang around?
I agree, whoever they have in charge of the nighttime shows is killing it lately! After the fireworks, we stayed for the second Boo to You parade, pics coming up next!!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
September 10th - Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party - Continued

After we enjoyed the Not So Spooky Spectacular fireworks, we made our way down Main Street a little closer to the park exit to wait for the parade. We absolutely love the Boo to You Halloween Parade - we find ourselves singing the song year round! While we were waiting, a PhotoPass CM was making their rounds taking pictures.
A9C62666-BBB5-451F-B299-AADFB4494357.jpeg

I always forget how long it takes the Halloween and Christmas party parades to make it to Main Street. We were waiting for what seemed like an eternity when we finally heard them announce the Headless Horseman. We were excited to see him, since it had been raining on and off at the party we attended in 2018, so we hadn’t gotten to see him ride in a few years.

Soon enough, after the Headless Horseman had made his way down Main Street, we heard it. “Ladies and gentlemen, bats and ghouls, Mickey, Minnie and all their friends have come together at the spookiest time of year to say boo to you as they proudly present the not so scary Mickey’s Boo to You Halloween Parade!”

Boo to you and you and you and you...Happy Halloween!
3C181691-EF38-44F1-9188-477CE359F23E.jpeg

My parade pics are super unimpressive iPhone pictures, and there aren’t many of them, but you can bet we enjoyed the parade! My favorite part is always the gravediggers from the Haunted Mansion unit. I love when they drag their shovels on the ground to create sparks. I can never move fast enough to get a picture!

1AAF4F93-7661-40C3-B928-9C0A3B81D4CB.jpeg

E59CB395-02F3-45A5-BBD2-83FF7974D199.jpeg

Queen Clarabelle...I sure hope we get to see her perform MOOriah Carey at MVMCP this year!
926B35F5-6AF6-4F28-99DB-E115543B1FA7.jpeg

7A2BBBAD-B6F2-4E2C-87B1-9CFD8316515F.jpeg

A few changes they made to Boo to You last year...1) The Sensational Six got costume changes, and they’re all super cute! Donald’s was my favorite. 2) They added a Tomorrowland unit, which was...weird? No one asked for that...😂 3) They added the Bride to the Haunted Mansion unit, and she was “floating” on some type of hoverboard-like contraption. We really liked this addition!

I wish we had gotten more pictures of the parade, but we were too busy enjoying it in the moment. Once the parade had ended, it was after Midnight and the party had ended, so we started making our way out of the park. It was so nice to be able to walk out of the park and straight onto a ferry boat, instead of having to walk half a mile to a bus stop and wait half an hour for a bus.

After we got back to Ft. Wilderness, we hopped in the golf cart and headed back to the cabin to take inventory of our trick-or-treat haul.
2630A18B-3B92-4DAE-958F-65067527D667.jpeg

It was a late night, and we had an early morning the next day, so it was time to hit the hay.

Up next: Now it’s time to say goodbye...

k8einwdw

Original Poster
September 11th - Check-Out Day

We had spent four wonderful nights at Walt Disney World, and sadly, it was time to go home. It’s a 7-hour drive home to Georgia and we both had to work the next day, so we needed to get an early start. We awoke around 6:45, finished up some packing that we had started the day prior, and loaded up the car.

We always like to do a sit-down breakfast on our check-our day, and this time, we didn’t have to go far. We hopped in the golf cart, and headed down to the Settlement to have breakfast at Trail’s End. We had heard nothing but great things, so we were looking forward to this meal! Our reservation was right at 8:00, and we were seated immediately. We ordered some coffee and juice, and headed up to the buffet.
E520B169-A85B-4195-A363-C6842D127E00.jpeg

As you can see, I got cheese grits, bread pudding, a sticky bun, biscuit and gravy, sausage, breakfast potato casserole, and it looks like some kind of egg dish. Jason got a lot of the same things. Everything was very good except for the grits. My mom makes excellent cheese grits, so I have high standards, and these were a little runny for my taste.

Our server was excellent - very attentive and personable. There was a party sitting next to us that seemed to be locals, and they had come to see her. You know a server is great when people come to the restaurant specifically to see them. Overall, we really liked Trail’s End. It’s a great value, and the food was great. We agreed that it will never surpass Boma’s breakfast buffet for us, but we’ll definitely be back!

After settling the bill, we hopped back into the golf cart and headed back to the cabin. We took all of our decorations off of the golf cart, and then it was time to head out. I hopped in the golf cart and Jason hopped in the car so he could follow me up to the golf cart rental place so we could return our cart. After returning our cart, we were on our not-so-merry way. Soon enough, we were passing the saddest sight in the world.
8E243490-7A70-412C-8458-F005267B3CD9.jpeg

If only we knew then how long it would be before we would be back... 😢

Up next: Final Thoughts

Loco_driver

My mom makes excellent cheese grits, so I have high standards, and these were a little runny for my taste.
I can’t stand runny grits. My dad used to make grits for me, so I’m pretty picky about them too. I quit ordering them from restaurants because they never seem to get them right!

lindawdw

I've heard great things too about Trails End so I'm glad you enjoyed your meal so much with the exception of the grits. ;) We all feel that way about leaving WDW at the end of a trip but we never knew how long it would take to get back with all that has happened! Loved seeing all your Halloween parade pictures!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
I can’t stand runny grits. My dad used to make grits for me, so I’m pretty picky about them too. I quit ordering them from restaurants because they never seem to get them right!
I’ll know better next time!
I've heard great things too about Trails End so I'm glad you enjoyed your meal so much with the exception of the grits. ;) We all feel that way about leaving WDW at the end of a trip but we never knew how long it would take to get back with all that has happened! Loved seeing all your Halloween parade pictures!
Overall, Trails End was great - definitely a hidden gem! It’s so crazy to think that J and I have not been to WDW together in nearly a year. We keep saying “if only we had known then what we know now...”

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Final Thoughts

Alrighty, let’s get this trip report wrapped up with some final thoughts on the trip.

Dates - This was our first time doing WDW in September. I don’t think I’ve mentioned yet that we were there just a few days after the parks were closed for a couple days for Hurricane Dorian. We think a lot of people cancelled their trips for that week, because the crowds were as low as we’d seen them in several years. We chose our dates because they were a few days after Labor Day, which seems to be that sweet spot between when families in areas that start school in September have ended their summer break, and when schools that start in August start having their fall breaks. The unfortunate side of going in September is the heat. Holy Hannah is it hot. Apparently not hot enough to keep us away though, since we’ll be going the same week this year!

Extra Extra Magic Hours - Jason and I both wake up early for work. While I don’t mind waking up around 6:30-7:00 on vacation to make it to rope drop, waking up at 5:30 for EEMH just felt wrong. HOWEVER, the extra two hours in the morning in Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom allowed us to get so much accomplished early in the morning, and we were able to take longer afternoon breaks. So, did we enjoy getting up stupid early on vacation? Heck no. But we’d do it again if they did Extra Extra Magic Hours again in the future.

Galaxy’s Edge - Seeing Jason’s reaction to Galaxy’s Edge was reason enough to go on this trip. Just being in a new land was so special. The whole land is incredibly themed, and we can’t wait to be back and finally (hopefully) experience Rise of the Resistance. And eat another Ronto Wrap, because those things are delicious!

Fort Wilderness- Wow wow wow did we love Fort Wilderness. Jason keeps saying that he could stay there every single trip. It has quickly become one of our favorite places on Earth. It is so peaceful and laid-back, and the grounds are just beautiful. It really feels like more of a community than a resort - every guest we encountered was really friendly and happy to be there, and it is so fun to see how people decorate their campsites and cabins. The cabins are a great option for families, or couples who want a little more room to spread out and relax. The kitchen is not what I’d consider to be a full kitchen, but it’d definitely be functional for a family who wanted to cook some of their own meals. My #1 recommendation for anyone who is planning a stay at Ft. Wilderness would be to rent a golf cart. The property is three times the size of Epcot, so it’s not as walkable as other resorts. They do have an internal bus system, but it can be confusing to navigate. Plus, there is not car parking at the pools, or at the Settlement, where most of the dining is located. Having a golf cart made getting around Ft. Wilderness so easy, not to mention really fun. We will definitely be back to Ft. Wilderness, very soon. 😉

It’s hard to believe that it’s been nearly a year since Jason and I have been to WDW together, with the exception of our quick trip to Disney Springs when we were in Florida last month. It will have been a full year by the time we’re back in September. I keep saying “if only we had known then what we know now...” We would have lingered a little longer, just soaking in the atmosphere. We would have cherished every single moment of that trip. And I probably would have convinced J to meet me in WDW after my cruise back in February.

I know that we are so lucky to be able to visit WDW as often as we are, so I always feel like I’m whining when I’m sad that we can’t be there, but Disney is a huge, important part of our lives. WDW feels like our home away from home - the place that holds so many of our most cherished memories together - and to have been away for so long just makes it feel like there’s something missing from our lives.

Now that the parks are back open, it finally feels like our lives are somewhat returning to “normal” (although I don’t think we’ll see our old normal for a long time). I know they’ve re-closed Hong Kong, so there’s still a part of me that’s a little trepidatious for our upcoming trip. I go back and forth between “They won’t re-close WDW, it’s the largest employer in Florida and Disney has been bleeding out money” and “they could re-close WDW, Americans are crazy and this virus isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.” I suppose only time will tell. For now, I’ll be holding on to hope, counting down the days, and obsessively listening to Disney parks music to get me through my work days.

If you’ve made it this far, thank you so much for following along on my trip down memory lane. I really feel like I’ve found my people on the Trip Report boards. 99% of people are so friendly and kind, and it’s so nice to escape from everyday reality by reading and sharing trip reports with other people who just get it. I hope to start a new thread for our September trip sometime in the coming weeks, and I hope you all will follow along!

Last edited:

lindawdw

I totally enjoyed following along with you through your TR and can't wait to hear about your plans for September! I'll be back the very end of October to celebrate my birthday!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
I totally enjoyed following along with you through your TR and can't wait to hear about your plans for September! I'll be back the very end of October to celebrate my birthday!
Thank you for following! I can't think of a better place to spend a birthday, I hope you have a fantastic time!
I too enjoyed your TR - thanks for sharing. I’ll be looking forward to your next one 😀
Thanks for an awesome TR!! I look forward to your next one!!
Thank you both for reading! Hoping to get the next one started in a couple weeks or so once I finish some projects at work!

DouglasE

That Trail's End breakfast looked to be a great way to end your visit. Now I'm craving some biscuits and gravy. So happy for you that you got to squeeze in a trip before everything started to change. Good luck with your trip in September. If you do go I predict it will be more of a smelling of a roses, soak up the atmosphere trip, as opposed to checking off events and attractions. Good luck!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
That Trail's End breakfast looked to be a great way to end your visit. Now I'm craving some biscuits and gravy. So happy for you that you got to squeeze in a trip before everything started to change. Good luck with your trip in September. If you do go I predict it will be more of a smelling of a roses, soak up the atmosphere trip, as opposed to checking off events and attractions. Good luck!
Thanks for following along! I'll certainly miss some of our usual must-dos in September, but I know we'll just be happy to be there!

Loco_driver

Thanks for sharing. It was most excellent! We have plans for September too, but I’m still pretty on the fence about it. If I don’t go, hopefully I’ll have a TR from you to entertain me!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing. It was most excellent! We have plans for September too, but I’m still pretty on the fence about it. If I don’t go, hopefully I’ll have a TR from you to entertain me!
Thank you for following along! I'm sure you and A will make the best decision for your September trip - everyone's comfort level is totally different. If it's open in September, we'll be there!

LisaBelle

Loved your TR. MNSSHP is on my Disney bucket list. That parade looks like so much fun! I enjoyed seeing your pics of Fort Wilderness. Everyone raves about Trails End. I definitely need to keep it in mind for a future trip. Thanks so much much for sharing your trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom