News Magic Kingdom July 2020 reopening reports

ElvisMickey

So I’m just getting home from EPCOT. Still low crowds, most attractions were walk ons early but the one thing I did notice that there was a LOT less mask compliance and enforcement than there was at the MK last week for the AP previews. I saw obnoxious kids walking around with their masks half off in Future World, people strolling mask free with their alcohol in World Showcase, some woman walking into the caramel store (whatever it’s called) in Germany with no mask on, even some dude smoking IN the park. Now, I know that Disney set forth an updated policy today in regards to where/when you have to wear your mask, but word must have been slow to get around or it just wasn’t being enforced.

Castmbr

As I was reading this, I heard a cast member correct a mask.

As for the kids, I’m not traveling with any but I‘ve made a mental note to see how kids deal with it. I haven’t seen any fuss with it, and some are quite small. For the most part it seems that they legitimately don’t care or don’t notice. I’m aware some kids have sensory issues and that’s not the group I’m speaking about. Overall I think the “poor kids“ spiel doesn’t have much validity. Kids are much more resilient than adults give them credit for.

I think that many ultra-Disney fans are wishing good vibes on their children in hopes that they will be "happy" in the parks. The Cast experience has been interesting given they are policing the masks and it has been a challenge. The truth is probably in the middle of your view and mine. But I guess we will see in the coming years but the attendance is going to stay low while the COVID scare is here. Let's just hope that Disney comes out the other side leaner and stronger.

An experience as Cast vs Guest is an interesting look into how people can see the same thing and have different views on what is happening. I am giving from a Cast perspective......

AugieMorosco

After reading your review, my own conclusion is that unfortunately, some people are just irresponsible. Disney is doing it's best in providing the safest environment possible. Thank you for sharing your experience.
I agree. It's impossible to police every queue and every common space in the park. BTMR is a great example of where I saw crowding and masks coming off in line. You just can't station cast there. There were times cast members could have done more, but they're trying to toe a fine line and not have major confrontations. Unfortunately, this lead to some confrontations between guests instead.
One major positive takeaway from my experience is that Disney is legitimately trying to make it safe. Not make it look safe or check boxes, but keep people away from each other and masked up to prevent spread. I appreciate that. Unfortunately, the bad apples may end up ruining it for everyone.

disneygeek90

Most attractions seem to have pretty strict rules right now regarding attraction loading. Skipping rows, one party per vehicle, etc
Yeah, attractions with two rows (or even 3) per “car” will likely mean one party per car for the foreseeable future. This includes Navi, ROTR, Pooh etc. Disney seems much more aggressive than Universal with the skipping of rows. Pirates was only loading two parties regardless of size, one in the front one in the back. Same with Space Mountain.

There were 3 of us on Small World today, 4 on Pirates.

disneygeek90

I think that many ultra-Disney fans are wishing good vibes on their children in hopes that they will be "happy" in the parks. The Cast experience has been interesting given they are policing the masks and it has been a challenge. The truth is probably in the middle of your view and mine. But I guess we will see in the coming years but the attendance is going to stay low while the COVID scare is here. Let's just hope that Disney comes out the other side leaner and stronger.

An experience as Cast vs Guest is an interesting look into how people can see the same thing and have different views on what is happening. I am giving from a Cast perspective......
I’m sure there are problems with kids, and adults for that matter, wearing masks, that’s to be expected. I just don’t think it’s the majority.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So I’m just getting home from EPCOT. Still low crowds, most attractions were walk ons early but the one thing I did notice that there was a LOT less mask compliance and enforcement than there was at the MK last week for the AP previews. I saw obnoxious kids walking around with their masks half off in Future World, people strolling mask free with their alcohol in World Showcase, some woman walking into the caramel store (whatever it’s called) in Germany with no mask on, even some dude smoking IN the park. Now, I know that Disney set forth an updated policy today in regards to where/when you have to wear your mask, but word must have been slow to get around or it just wasn’t being enforced.

Take pics, post to...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1595114951546.png

TrainsOfDisney

On my two trips to AK I rode Na'vi about 6 times. Every time it was one party per boat.

That said two seperate boats can get pretty close to each other during the ride.

I do remember that. It’s a much more immersive ride if you’re in the “front boat” dispatched. Wait... are they dispatched 2 at a time? Ughh it has been too long :(

disneygeek90

On my two trips to AK I rode Na'vi about 6 times. Every time it was one party per boat.

That said two seperate boats can get pretty close to each other during the ride.
I noticed that on Pirates as well. Small World was loading the front and the second to last row, I guess the potential gap there is even shorter.

coasterphil

Went to MK yesterday and compared to the AK preview day, mask and social distancing compliance was much much worse. Hard to know if that’s simply because there was a lot more people and I spent time in actual queues surrounded by more people to watch, or if it’s the difference between the hardcore folks that managed to get preview reservations versus the greater availability now leading to a wider swath of guest types. It’s tough to fix in queues when no one can be around to police it, but I saw some CMs ignoring violators on paths which did not happen at all at AK.

If you had asked me if I was concerned about getting sick after my AK visit I would have said absolutely not. If you told me I got sick as a result of my day at MK, I unfortunately would not be shocked. I still think it’s a lower risk activity, but with people skirting the masks rules and getting too close (especially in tight indoor queues) I really had to be on guard and felt a lot less comfortable. On the plus side, MK felt like a much more “normal” day since it had more people milling about, fewer shuttered shops/restaurants/carts, and the cavalcades were much more effective than the boats at AK. Still wouldn’t recommend folks come down for a full price trip to a reduced experience in the best case and worst case might result in illness. Cost/benefit just doesn’t make sense to me, unless you only want to marathon rides and aren’t going to be the least bit concerned with your health/safety and won’t get anxious with non-compliance.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
No. We had ours on. They are holding all of the ride photos until they can perform a manual review. We thought there was a problem with our magic bands. Earlier today we went to the photo guest relations and had them associate the pics with our account. When we went back this afternoon because they still weren’t showing up in our account we were told that all photos are under review.
So if some dufus on your boat/car pulls their mask off, you can't get your ride photo???

Sounds like Photopass refund time to me...

disneygeek90

Went to MK yesterday and compared to the AK preview day, mask and social distancing compliance was much much worse. Hard to know if that’s simply because there was a lot more people and I spent time in actual queues surrounded by more people to watch, or if it’s the difference between the hardcore folks that managed to get preview reservations versus the greater availability now leading to a wider swath of guest types. It’s tough to fix in queues when no one can be around to police it, but I saw some CMs ignoring violators on paths which did not happen at all at AK.

If you had asked me if I was concerned about getting sick after my AK visit I would have said absolutely not. If you told me I got sick as a result of my day at MK, I unfortunately would not be shocked. I still think it’s a lower risk activity, but with people skirting the masks rules and getting too close (especially in tight indoor queues) I really had to be on guard and felt a lot less comfortable. On the plus side, MK felt like a much more “normal” day since it had more people milling about, fewer shuttered shops/restaurants/carts, and the cavalcades were much more effective than the boats at AK. Still wouldn’t recommend folks come down for a full price trip to a reduced experience in the best case and worst case might result in illness. Cost/benefit just doesn’t make sense to me, unless you only want to marathon rides and aren’t going to be the least bit concerned with your health/safety and won’t get anxious with non-compliance.
That’s interesting because after my day at MK yesterday I thought it was amazing. Masks at 99% for me.

It’s hard to compare MK to another that has every ride as a walk on the entire day. If you were to compare it to, say, Universal or even HS, it’s a much different story. I felt great about everything almost the entire day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom