Long live the Eastern Gateway or how I learned to love the Anaheim City Council after the election.

Darkbeer1

I always found the whole Third Park! rumors for that land to be funny because Anaheim has made no secret that they want to extend Gene Autry Way right through the middle of that land to the Convention Center. It's been featured in their planning documents for a couple decades now.

If Disney does take the deal, and finds other places for parking, I see Disney building Two Hotels, one on Katella next to the JW Marriott, and another one on Harbor near the Convention Center, opening before 2028. Maybe a Hotel Guests Mini Water Park at 1 or both Hotels, or one to share.

And use the rest for parking structures.

That allows the maximum use of the location for revenue, while keeping the Theme Parks in a somewhat central location.

George Lucas on a Bench

It honestly amazes me that there's enough demand for Disney to build more hotels. There's so many hotel rooms within two miles of the resort, for a place that's supposed to be primarily locals.

I agree. Is there really demand?? They just built more huge hotels in the vicinity of DLR. Is Disney just butthurt they're losing potential business to competition?

At this point, they should just be hoping they can ever reopen.

Figments Friend

It honestly amazes me that there's enough demand for Disney to build more hotels. There's so many hotel rooms within two miles of the resort, for a place that's supposed to be primarily locals.

There is perceived demand for a 'moderate' Disney hotel option...but it's been said it will likely never happen as Disney prefers to go the more profitable 'deluxe' resort high end route in Anaheim.
There is also all of the other similar non-Disney owned hotels catering to that market already in the immediate area, thus why we will likely never see a Disney owned 'value' resort option.
It's already been covered by other budget motels in the area.

Also, you have to consider the perceived needs of the DVC crowd wanting more variety of Disney owned accommodations at DLR.
It's pretty limited from what I've heard members talk about...and they have expressed desires for more options.

Then you have the travelers coming in who are used to the WDW mindset and desire or downright insist on staying in the 'Disney bubble' and will pay any room rate to do so.
Disney knows this....and encourages it....but with only three Resort hotels 'on property' they may well feel a need to expand those choices.

-

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Anyone staying in the area should honestly just go to one of Marriott's offerings. Far better and more consistent service, and they're actually forced to be competitive. I plan on staying at the JW Marriott when I go this fall- looking now I can stay there for $94/night with the associate rate.

Darkbeer1

What is being built currently are high end, or extended stay options in and around the Resort Area. I presume Disney will be going for the Convention Center folks looking for a nicer place to stay, plus the Sports venue market, for higher rates. But fill in the slower periods with DLR guests at a slightly lower rate.

Also, both the Angel Stadium and Honda Center projects have high end Hotels in the mix.

The tax rebate program was designed to address the lack of High End hotels in the area, and the builders have seen that guests are looking for that type of Hotel.

Communicora

Premium Member
Anyone staying in the area should honestly just go to one of Marriott's offerings. Far better and more consistent service, and they're actually forced to be competitive. I plan on staying at the JW Marriott when I go this fall- looking now I can stay there for $94/night with the associate rate.
I agree and plan to stay at the JW next time too. There's also the new Westin. The rooftop view of Disneyland's fireworks would be fun.

DanielBB8

There is perceived demand for a 'moderate' Disney hotel option...but it's been said it will likely never happen as Disney prefers to go the more profitable 'deluxe' resort high end route in Anaheim.
This is incorrect. Disney could build moderate like Paradise Pier Hotel, but Disney is capable of demanding Deluxe prices for the rooms. Disney was asking $350 a night. That's 3 times more than the hotels just across the street on Harbor. The fact that Disney hasn't built any hotels because somehow it thinks it can't afford it makes no sense to me.

The market will decide the nightly pricing for Disneyland Resort hotels and they are premium priced. That's what the market will bear.

Communicora

Premium Member
This is incorrect. Disney could build moderate like Paradise Pier Hotel, but Disney is capable of demanding Deluxe prices for the rooms. Disney was asking $350 a night. That's 3 times more than the hotels just across the street on Harbor. The fact that Disney hasn't built any hotels because somehow it thinks it can't afford it makes no sense to me.

The market will decide the nightly pricing for Disneyland Resort hotels and they are premium priced. That's what the market will bear.
I still wish Disneyland would redo at least one of the Disneyland Hotel towers and make it a retro and boutique-style hotel. It would make me excited to stay there. I feel like the decor and furnishings are so heavy and a bad fit with the architecture -- especially for the price they charge. I ranted about how they could style it like the TWA hotel at JFK before, but I guess I'm getting off-topic.

Last edited:

DLR92

Doesn’t Disney hotel in Anaheim have high occupancy rates? If that the case, I’m really surprised no new addition of new onsite hotels. I don’t know the rumors are true, perhaps they want to add DVC tower in DLH.

It be wise to add one. Personally I am more excited to see developers building new 4 star hotels. It just helps balance out Anahiem hotel portfolio.

Darkbeer1

Doesn’t Disney hotel in Anaheim have high occupancy rates? If that the case, I’m really surprised no new addition of new onsite hotels. I don’t know the rumors are true, perhaps they want to add DVC tower in DLH.

It be wise to add one. Personally I am more excited to see developers building new 4 star hotels. It just helps balance out Anaheim hotel portfolio.

Disney publicly stated a couple of years ago, when the city removed the Tax Rebate program for the 4th tower, due to the lobby moving 800 feet, that they would not build a new onsite Hotel anytime soon.

The DVC Tower is going in front of the Planning Commission next month, then in front of the city council after that.

So if Disney has sold enough DVC packages to cover the building costs, they could break ground before the end of the year.

If DtD remains an issue in renting out space, I could see Disney trying again for a 4th Hotel tower in a few years.

TP2000

It's because the whole "primarily locals" thing is a lie and a sad excuse used by WDW fans who grump about why WDW doesn't need the stuff Disneyland always gets like new rides, new shows, new night parades, holiday overlays, updates to Fantasmic or World of Color, better Christmas decorations, etc., etc.

There's a lot of "locals" who go to Disneyland, because Disneyland sits smack dab in the middle of one of the largest megacities in the Free World with 20 Million people living within a 90 minute freeway drive of Disneyland.

But there's also a lot of domestic and foreign tourists who go to Disneyland while they visit SoCal and/or stay in the 28,000 hotel rooms within the Anaheim Resort District bubble. In 2018, just over 50 Million tourists visited Orange County, and the foreign tourist slice of that pie rose by 3% that year. It's big business.

Darkbeer1

It's because the whole "primarily locals" thing is a lie and a sad excuse used by WDW fans who grump about why WDW doesn't need the stuff Disneyland always gets like new rides, new shows, new night parades, holiday overlays, updates to Fantasmic or World of Color, better Christmas decorations, etc., etc.

There's a lot of "locals" who go to Disneyland, because Disneyland sits smack dab in the middle of one of the largest megacities in the Free World with 20 Million people living within a 90 minute freeway drive of Disneyland.

But there's also a lot of domestic and foreign tourists who go to Disneyland while they visit SoCal and/or stay in the 28,000 hotel rooms within the Anaheim Resort District bubble. In 2018, just over 50 Million tourists visited Orange County, and the foreign tourist slice of that pie rose by 3% that year. It's big business.

And Convention Center Guests, plus visitors and teams/staff for Angel Stadium, Honda Center, The American Sports Center that hosts multiple Olympic level events for volleyball and other sports, etc.

One of the pushes for Anaheim Hotel Rooms are more Business related than tourist related in the last few years. Of course, many folks that come for business opt to do a few tourist things.

Old Mouseketeer

I went to Staples Center last year to see Elton John. Our car was outside Staple's Center an hour and 15 minutes before the concert. It took an hour and a half just to park our car, using the official Staples Center parking. We missed the first couple of songs.

Our limo driver knew to come in from the North to the limo parking area in the NE corner. It took us maybe 15-20 minutes to park and we still had time to buy souvenirs at the outside trailer and leave them in the car.

Don't hate me--I was invited for my best friend's 60th birthday party. No way I could have afforded any of that night.

Stevek

I went to Staples Center last year to see Elton John. Our car was outside Staple's Center an hour and 15 minutes before the concert. It took an hour and a half just to park our car, using the official Staples Center parking. We missed the first couple of songs.
I've been to many sold out concerts and tons of hockey games and have literally never had a problem parking at Staples. The only issues I've ever heard of is when there is a convention going on at the same time as a Staples event which could have been your issue.

Now the Forum, whole different game. It took us over 2 hours to park, missed the first 4 songs. I used to go to many concerts and hockey games there as well and don't remember every having issues. This is apparently the new normal at the Forum though.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

OK, we know EVERYTHING is on Hold regarding the possible Eastern Gateway.

But for the next two years, the Anaheim City Council will remain Business Friendly, and make it possible to get a quality Eastern Gateway, with a Good Looking bridge approved at the Planning Commission.

Going into the election, 4 seats are taken through 2022. Three are Business Friendly, Mayor Sidhu, Councilmembers Brandman and O'Neil, and Dr. Moreno being the unfriendly one.

3 Seats were voted on, Districts 1, 4 and 5. District 5 is where Mayor Pro Tem Faessel was up for reelection, and will easily win. Currently he has 54% of the vote, Dr. Moreno's candidate is in third place at 17%

District 4 was held by a business friendly member, Lucille Kring, who was termed out. A business Friendly Democrat, Avelino Valencia has 53% of the vote. Second place has only 22% of the vote, and it is top vote getter, regardless if it is under 50%.

Now, over in West Anaheim, we have a 40%, 40% and 20% race, and my educated guess, it will be days before we know who will win. (Well, third place is out).

As of 10 PM, the incumbent, Denise Barnes has a 38 vote lead over the S.O.A.R. backed Jose Diaz.

If Jose wins, then we have a 6-1 majority, with Dr. Moreno planning to run for Mayor in 2022 as the lone opposition, since he will be termed out of his Council Seat in 2022.

So, the only things that could be in front of the Council the next two years should be the extension of the Toy Story Lot for parking use. (Bullseye already has permission to be used for parking), and the Eastern Gateway. Pretty sure 2021 is out, so Disney will look at the 2022 window, if the area has recovered enough. And getting approval in 2022 does not mean construction would start right away.

Basically the status quo.

LastoneOn

OK, we know EVERYTHING is on Hold regarding the possible Eastern Gateway.

But for the next two years, the Anaheim City Council will remain Business Friendly, and make it possible to get a quality Eastern Gateway, with a Good Looking bridge approved at the Planning Commission.
Where do you think it ranks on the priority list? It was before the big hotel redo, before some of the DCA stuff I think. Is it the cart or the horse now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom