News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

peter11435

Good job Disney. You destroyed the beautiful setting in front of Mount Everest and disturbed all of the wildlife that settled in that area all to try to make a light show and turn Animal Kingdom into a night time park...did you actually do market research to see if this is something that people wanted?

It was nice having Animal Kingdom close at 5pm. There is no reason to keep that park open after 5pm...but of course Disney needs to try to suck that money out of everything.

And where were the environmentalists when Disney tore out all of those trees and natural surroundings to build the bleachers for the Rivers of Light show? They did more damage to the environment with that than any plastic straws will do to the vast oceans.
Nothing they tore out for RoL was natural. It was all planted and man made. By your logic they should never replace and replant flower beds either.

Usually people blame Disney for closing the parks too early because its all about “that money” but now you're complaining that they were open too late trying to make “that money”

Chip Chipperson

Good job Disney. You destroyed the beautiful setting in front of Mount Everest and disturbed all of the wildlife that settled in that area all to try to make a light show and turn Animal Kingdom into a night time park...did you actually do market research to see if this is something that people wanted?

It was nice having Animal Kingdom close at 5pm. There is no reason to keep that park open after 5pm...but of course Disney needs to try to suck that money out of everything.

And where were the environmentalists when Disney tore out all of those trees and natural surroundings to build the bleachers for the Rivers of Light show? They did more damage to the environment with that than any plastic straws will do to the vast oceans.

I enjoy Animal Kingdom at night. Pandora and Expedition Everest are great at night and I like the Tree of Life. Even the safari is interesting at night, although I like it better during daylight.

BromBones

Nothing they tore out for RoL was natural. It was all planted and man made. By your logic they should never replace and replant flower beds either.

Have you ever seen the wildlife that took up residence around that lake or lived in it. Disney built it and those animals settled in....and then they destroyed it all to make that money.

It's funny how people pretend to care about the environment...but ignore everything Disney does to destroy it.
Then praise them for a meaningless and pointless gesture like a solar farm that won't power anything of substance in the parks, or getting rid of plastic straws even though Disney is no where near a VAST ocean.

peter11435

Have you ever seen the wildlife that took up residence around that lake or lived in it. Disney built it and those animals settled in....and then they destroyed it all to make that money.

It's funny how people pretend to care about the environment...but ignore everything Disney does to destroy it.
Then praise them for a meaningless and pointless gesture like a solar farm that won't power anything of substance in the parks, or getting rid of plastic straws even though Disney is no where near a VAST ocean.
I never said wildlife didn’t take up residence there.

Again by you logic they would never build anything anywhere and could never replant a planter. Have you ever seen how many bunnies, ducks, birds, and insects take up residence in their flower and garden displays? I guess they can never replace those now.

MrPromey

I know that from the old imagineering guides they had. But I still feel like it wasn't the best choice. I get the homage. I still like the idea of a science based themed area in an nature animal theme park.

I think it was effective with the Hester and Chester gift shop but when everything else opened, it just overpowered the main theme. I mean, today, after passing through the Dig, that's what you see. The e-ticket ride is off to the side and largely hidden by growth* and could almost be missed by someone casually walking in.

It's actually kind of funny (not in a ha-ha way) to think that for a land devoted to dinosaurs in a park that is was focused on real, actual animals, the only part of the entire land that really does the dinos any justice is the queue for the Dinosaur ride.

Anyway, since the majority of the themed part of that land became the "tourist trap", that's effectively the face of Dinoland and similar to the way much of the original Californa Adventure didn't work, it turns out, that creating a "theme" to mimic a crappy shoddy experience that most pepole come to Disney to avoid, isn't the best of ideas.

I'm sure someone somewhere thought that being able to use a "theme" as an excuse to go cheap with attractions was a clever loophole but in the case of AK, it's the wart on Mona Lisa.

*Not to say the growth itself is the problem. It's obviously there in part to hide the massive show building the attraction itself is housed in.

MrPromey

... That was a whole lot of money that could have been used to make the Avatar boat ride longer or have more capacity!

Show of hands: Who here thinks the problem with the boat ride was that we needed more of that?

Sorry. Not trying to pick on you. I just couldn't resist - I think we are more-or-less on the same page. ;)

MickeyLuv'r

It just didn't 'draw' you in. Felt weird. Great floats though. Really cool designs.

Significant number of posters on these boards say they dislike IP, but here we had an example of Disney creating something non-IP, and this is the result.

I agree that it lacked draw, but I also think it is often tough to create draw when the audience doesn't get familiar characters.

WDW visitors usually want characters they know. People will sometimes make a few exceptions: thrill rides like coasters, stock characters like pirates, and a tiny exception for opening day/very long standing attractions like SE. But all thee exceptions still = something familiar.

JohnD

I enjoy Animal Kingdom at night. Pandora and Expedition Everest are great at night and I like the Tree of Life. Even the safari is interesting at night, although I like it better during daylight.

AK is currently closing at 6pm even in October when I plan to go. That's still during daylight time. It's not even dusk until around 7pm then. So unless they extend the hours to even an hour past dusk, don't count on going at night any time soon.

MickeyMouse10

Significant number of posters on these boards say they dislike IP, but here we had an example of Disney creating something non-IP, and this is the result.

I agree that it lacked draw, but I also think it is often tough to create draw when the audience doesn't get familiar characters.

WDW visitors usually want characters they know. People will sometimes make a few exceptions: thrill rides like coasters, stock characters like pirates, and a tiny exception for opening day/very long standing attractions like SE. But all thee exceptions still = something familiar.

As long as it's a great ride (Haunted Mansion, Pirates (originally) and Space Mountain) then it doesn't matter if it has an IP or not (ride wise). I do think Disney will definitely lean towards IP's for the most part when it comes to their rides in the future though. It makes sense financially. They can sell more merchandise with characters like Ana and Elsa.

And as long as it works with the theming (Ratatouille), I'm sure most of us are alright with it.

JohnD

I'd like to see AK have a National Geographic touch applied since that channel was part of the Fox acquisition. They do a much better job of ethnographic exploration and the natural world as well as haven't to date been caught staging lemming mass suicides.

I'm kind of sad that ROL is gone, not because of the lackluster experience masquerading as a show, but the desert party which had some of the best small bites and drinks.

You make a good point. It has its own section on Disney+. NG is a perfect fit for AK.

NelsonRD

Just to be clear. Are you really arguing that Disney caused irreparable damage to the environment by adding Rivers Of Light, and not continuing to support it? Would it have been okay if the show was still active? What are the metrics you are using to measure the loss of habit, and how is a 50mW power production not significant?

Talk about stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny....

JohnD

Just to be clear. Are you really arguing that Disney caused irreparable damage to the environment by adding Rivers Of Light, and not continuing to support it? Would it have been okay if the show was still active? What are the metrics you are using to measure the loss of habit, and how is a 50mW power production not significant?

Talk about stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny....

No. He's arguing that Disney added an unnatural-looking show pavilion to a large acreage of land that was already changed from its natural state and made into a theme park that looks natural.

Chip Chipperson

AK is currently closing at 6pm even in October when I plan to go. That's still during daylight time. It's not even dusk until around 7pm then. So unless they extend the hours to even an hour past dusk, don't count on going at night any time soon.

I'm not going until November or December 2021, so hopefully they'll be back to normal hours by then (assuming it's safe to do so by then).

FigmentJedi

I think it was effective with the Hester and Chester gift shop but when everything else opened, it just overpowered the main theme. I mean, today, after passing through the Dig, that's what you see. The e-ticket ride is off to the side and largely hidden by growth* and could almost be missed by someone casually walking in.

It's actually kind of funny (not in a ha-ha way) to think that for a land devoted to dinosaurs in a park that is was focused on real, actual animals, the only part of the entire land that really does the dinos any justice is the queue for the Dinosaur ride.

Anyway, since the majority of the themed part of that land became the "tourist trap", that's effectively the face of Dinoland and similar to the way much of the original Californa Adventure didn't work, it turns out, that creating a "theme" to mimic a crappy shoddy experience that most pepole come to Disney to avoid, isn't the best of ideas.

I'm sure someone somewhere thought that being able to use a "theme" as an excuse to go cheap with attractions was a clever loophole but in the case of AK, it's the wart on Mona Lisa.

*Not to say the growth itself is the problem. It's obviously there in part to hide the massive show building the attraction itself is housed in.
Incorporating our irreverent kitschy love of dinosaurs alongside more serious scientific efforts within a land celebrating dinosaurs is actually a pretty good idea. But except for Cementosaurus, Dino-Rama is a really poor representation of the roadside attraction part of Dinosaur Americana and is more interested in Disney self mockery then anything else. Primeval Whirl's a shoddier version of the Dinosaur ride and Triceratop Spin's just a really nonsensical take on spoofing the Dumbo ride really hoping that the joke of a large flightless animal with distinctive head features being able to fly is enough.

JohnD

I'm not going until November or December 2021, so hopefully they'll be back to normal hours by then (assuming it's safe to do so by then).

Yeah. Right now, they only list hours through October 31. But, even for me, it's not like they haven't changed hours before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom