News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

The Pho

As for the other 2 attactions... ya.. it was time for stitch to leave and whirl was just very... tacky. I hope they expand this area of dinoland into more scientific based attractions cause I like the theme of dinosaur. I am a dino geek lol. Universal has jurassic park/world to get the sci-fi dino geek excited. Always felt like dinoland was rush, I know it was. Maybe they can take way the roadside theme and make it more of a dig site with scientists trying to revive dinos or send u back in time.
It would be nice to get the Dinosaur Jubilee and Fossil Prep Lab back. They complimented Dinosaur perfectly.

MrPromey

My guesses per park-
Magic- Country Bears OR Treehouse
EPCOT- Figment
DHS- RNR

Treehouse has an operational cost approaching zero so it's hard to see them doing away with that since it also acts like a set piece for adventuraland. I guess the question would be if the occasional referb is less or more expensive than the cost of trying to raise the "tree" since there isn't enough space there for much more than another Sunglass Hut at ground level.

RnR would get a retheme before a closure, I think.

The other two are real possibilities, though.

Because of how well it was designed into that space that wasn't intended to look large, they could close Country Bears, putting another shop in the current waiting area and I think the only people that would even realize that theater was a theater back there left to rot would be people who'd been to it, before.

MrPromey

You know what's interesting?

All the other attractions that were not announced as dead and done.

WDW has announced
  • which attractions are delayed (maybe indefinitely): Poppins and SSE refresh
  • which attractions are being redesigned: Festival Center; Splash Mountain
  • which attractions are being terminated: PW, RoL, SGE

Does that represent everything and we can expect everything else not mentioned to eventually come back, or, is this the first of the centipede's shoes dropping?

Probably depends a lot on what Orlando area tourisim looks like over the next 6-12 months.

My guess is that if anything, more things will close temporarily or will become "seasonal" if things become too bad and then may or may not open again some day when things rebound.

Cuts that look temporary are to be expected but they have to be careful because there are already limited attractions in every park that doesn't have the word "magic" in its name and I don't know that they can afford to have even the not so great ones gone when the market finally comes back unless they've already replaced them which of course, we know would not be what happens.

note2001

People want to slow down and be entertained, but RoL was too slow, we also live in a society where things take place fast and we notice seconds passing. To take that attention away from time the subject matter has to pull us in. There was nothing there to do that for us.

FigmentJedi

Always felt like dinoland was rush, I know it was. Maybe they can take way the roadside theme and make it more of a dig site with scientists trying to revive dinos or send u back in time.
Whole idea of Dinoland is how often those things are intertwined out west like the towns surrounding Dinosaur National Monument or Petrified Forest.
It would be nice to get the Dinosaur Jubilee and Fossil Prep Lab back. They complimented Dinosaur perfectly.
Can't have a Prep Lab if there's nothing to prep. Like that whole thing's purpose was exclusively for getting portions of Sue ready for Chicago.

RoyalPrinceLeon

Whole idea of Dinoland is how often those things are intertwined out west like the towns surrounding Dinosaur National Monument or Petrified Forest.
I know that from the old imagineering guides they had. But I still feel like it wasn't the best choice. I get the homage. I still like the idea of a science based themed area in an nature animal theme park.

Nmoody1

Seems like the whole AK nighttime thing was a huge waste of money in the end.... night safari - gone. Discovery Island entertainment - gone. Rivers of Light - gone. That was a whole lot of money that could have been used to make the Avatar boat ride longer or have more capacity!

Padraig

It's eight years to the day that I was last in WDW, and specifically on this day, Animal Kingdom. I've always been extremely negative on Avatar, but I was curious to see it when we planned on returning with the kids next April. Of course, that's not happening now. I'm a bit disappointed, but I'm sure they'll cut worse in the meantime.

esskay

Stich was never reopening given it was in pieces and used as a break room. PW didn't close soon enough - it was awful in every respect.

RoL is a disapointment though. It cost a fortune to build so hopefully all the RnD and tech can go to use elsewhere.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'd like to see AK have a National Geographic touch applied since that channel was part of the Fox acquisition. They do a much better job of ethnographic exploration and the natural world as well as haven't to date been caught staging lemming mass suicides.

I'm kind of sad that ROL is gone, not because of the lackluster experience masquerading as a show, but the desert party which had some of the best small bites and drinks.

mightynine

The original version of RoL definitely felt like it had potential - I even got some mild Reflections of Earth vibes - but you could feel the abrupt ending. I remember going "Wait, that's it?"

I would've loved to see the show that went with the original soundtrack - the music was excellent.

Never saw the "rebooted" versions of the show, so can't comment on that. Guess we'll be getting Goofy on jetskis or something in the near future!

po1998

I agree with others that PW is not going to look good closed. Its not something you can hide behind a fence, or in the case of stitch, just close the doors and take the sign down.

I hope they tear it down quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom