News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Theory: Disney typically depreciates new attractions and major refurbishments over 20 years. But if they close an attraction they would be required by GAAP to write off all remaining depreciation as an expense.

As a result, Stitch’s Great Escape was officially “temporarily closed” until they had a better idea to avoid the financial hit.

But now, Disney is loading every financial hit they can into FY20. So all of the sudden, Stitch is suddenly permanently closed.

Tom Morrow

With RoE and RoL gone WDW lacks seriously in mystique - that overlooked magic ingredient.
Absolutely. Sadly, Disney did, and will continue, to take the wrong message from RoL's failure to resonate with guests. They blamed the lack of IP. They structured guest surveys to steer toward confirming this. But the real issues were pacing, not enough happening beyond lighting effects, and lack of a wow factor or proper finale.

Also, the general public is funny. The average person will be quick to say they don't enjoy something because of a lack of recognizable IP. But, when the attraction is good, the lack of IP does not even cross their mind.

tirian

Absolutely. Sadly, Disney did, and will continue, to take the wrong message from RoL's failure to resonate with guests. They blamed the lack of IP. They structured guest surveys to steer toward confirming this. But the real issues were pacing, not enough happening beyond lighting effects, and lack of a wow factor or proper finale.

Also, the general public is funny. The average person will be quick to say they don't enjoy something because of a lack of recognizable IP. But, when the attraction is good, the lack of IP does not even cross their mind.

Exactly.

Tom Morrow

Yes but does it tell you how long a guest will stay at that park... We typically park hop to it. Which counts as a guest for one day, but are there 2-3 hours. Comparitivly I would love to see the dollars spent per park and look at MDE data that shows you how long each person is in the park compared to the other parks. Would be a super fun spreadsheet to make!
If you actually attempt to do everything at DAK. As in, ride every ride, see every show, do the trails, take your time to soak in the atmosphere, and eat a quick service and full service meal, DAK is absolutely an all day park. I'm tired of everyone complaining about "half day parks" when the real answer is that this is your Nth visit to WDW so you've already seen everything so you don't want to do all of it, and you have a Fastpass for FoP, Everest, and Safaris and maybe do one or two other things and leave.

Islands of Adventure has more major attractions, but guess what, if you have an express pass or go on a slow day, or only do the top tier attractions, you can see it, too, in a few hours.

DVCakaCarlF

Theory: Disney typically depreciates new attractions and major refurbishments over 20 years. But if they close an attraction they would be required by GAAP to write off all remaining depreciation as an expense.

As a result, Stitch’s Great Escape was officially “temporarily closed” until they had a better idea to avoid the financial hit.

But now, Disney is loading every financial hit they can into FY20. So all of the sudden, Stitch is suddenly permanently closed.
Be interesting to see how the earnings call or financial reports note any significant depreciation.

Gringrinngghost

For me, the issue is that every year, we’re paying more for less. But the love/hate comments are certainly more interesting.
I agree... Disney shows how they pinch every Penny which was why I was shocked to see the Passholder preview open to everyone below gold. I do have to say, personally to me I prefer Tree of Life Awakenings to RoL

whiterhino42

Maybe making a Zoo wasn't the best plan of action... lol

Edit: adding to this... We typically dont stay long at AK anyways... The park just doesnt have too much to do. Whats the attraction count for each park?
I don't get people that say this at all. Animal Kingdom is far and away the prettiest park. The nature trails are awesome. We can spend two days there easily. It's our favorite.

TTA94

Hopefully they can come up with a replacement for RoL that will actually work and be a good show.

So what’s next to be axed? Unpopular thought but HEA? Very expensive to run when they could just have Once Upon A Time with a small amount of pyro. Also Harmonius sounds like it will be like HEA on water.

Last edited:

KaliSplash

Not surprised about Stitch in the least. Good riddance. We actually liked PW. Yes, I know it looks like a roadside attraction. that's the look they were going for. It was supposed to look like a roadside attraction. I thought the coaster was good when it was operating properly. I am very surprised but not overly disappointed by ROL. We saw it a couple of years ago and my overriding impression was We Are One. It seemed to me that's all it was, over and over and over. The moving floats were not particularly impressive. They all looked alike. and the We Are One seems to have been the theme of the special parade at Epcot back at the turn of the century. Just not an impressive show. But surprised to see it go so quickly given the amount of effort that went into it. Which was not worth it for what we got. But Mickey seems determined to cut nighttime entertainment across the board. I agree there will be no price decrease. Mickey's strategy is to slice the pie thinner and charge more per slice. Very sad.

freediverdude

Agreed. Stitch, except for the preshow was one of the worst Disney attractions ever. With that said, I would still rather see it open then closed and the building left empty for years, which will happen.

Well I hope they will at least reuse the Stitch animatronic, as that was the one piece of the attraction that a fair amount of money was spent on, and he was a fairly advanced animatronic.

wdwfan4ver

Stitches Great escape is not a shock, but I thought it was already closed before the Coronavirus. Primeval Whirl to me is not a shock because it was seasonal. Covid-19 just quicken the pace to close it forever.

Rivers of Light is a shock since this is a relatively new show although the original version was replaced already.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Well I hope they will at least reuse the Stitch animatronic, as that was the one piece of the attraction that a fair amount of money was spent on, and he was a fairly advanced animatronic.

Warning- Spoiler in Files

Attachments

• ADA93618-59C8-4CFB-9FA5-5CDDCD7AC78A.jpeg
    ADA93618-59C8-4CFB-9FA5-5CDDCD7AC78A.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 130

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom