Cash-Strapped Disney

BuzzedPotatoHead89

How would you feel if random (non-Hispanic) strangers imitated and exaggerated your grandparents’ accents?

This may not be a 1–1 comparison but I am of Italian ancestry. Super Mario is one of my favorite games. My fiancé (who is Latina) and I also love Luigi’s and RSR at DCA which exaggerated the Italian accents on my late grandparents who came to this country without knowing a lick of English.

My fiancé loves the tiki room and has never even thought about the exaggerated accent until we talked about it. She thinks it’s beneficial to have this representation in the parks even if it is a product of its time though she wouldn’t mind if Rosita, Josè, etc. were re-recorded she misses her dole whips more than anything (lol) and doesn’t particularly mind. Regardless her views are not monolithic and ultimately decisions cannot be dictated by one persons’ feelings.

We’re much more concerned about our aging parents contracting COVID right now but maybe when we have the luxury we’ll take another serious look at these apparent issues. Since apparently any cultural representation is presumed to be malicious in an era of woke “whitesplaining”.

Touchdown

How would you feel if random (non-Hispanic) strangers imitated and exaggerated your grandparents’ accents?

I love watching Dave Chapelle, Fluffy, and Russel Peters imitate white people they’re fantastic at it.

It’s sometimes ok and sometimes not ok to imitate another group and it’s up to the group being imitated to say it’s ok.

Last edited:

_caleb

You're describing beloved voice actor, Mel Blanc.
Right. I’m sure you’re aware of the racist portrayals in many of his classic animated shorts.

There is a crapload of variables here. Do you mean if they did the same type of accent? That's the same situation as West Side Story and Speedy Gonzalez. Do you mean if they'd met them and did an imitation based on experience? I'd probably either laugh and continue and have a new friend for a moment or if it wasn't right, I'd correct them and then laugh.

Are they making fun, claiming they talk funny? I'd probably point out the stupid things about the way they talk. Everyone talks funny.

Are they making any disparaging comments? That's a different matter. But there's nothing disparaging about Jose. His accent isn't even meant to be a joke. The four birds are representing four different origins and their voices are imitations of those four accents.
What if they were playing on old stereotypes to mock your grandparents?

This may not be a 1–1 comparison
It’s not.

It’s sometimes ok and sometimes not ok to imitate another group and it’s up to the group being imitated to say it’s ok.
Or, rather than wait until people complain (and dismiss their complaints as being “overly sensitive,)“ maybe just don’t mock people at all.

Goofyernmost

Hehehe. I think I misread your initial post. It seemed like you were arguing the opposite. Unfortunately, a lot of people feel differently.

There is a crapload of variables here. Do you mean if they did the same type of accent? That's the same situation as West Side Story and Speedy Gonzalez. Do you mean if they'd met them and did an imitation based on experience? I'd probably either laugh and continue and have a new friend for a moment or if it wasn't right, I'd correct them and then laugh.

Are they making fun, claiming they talk funny? I'd probably point out the stupid things about the way they talk. Everyone talks funny.

Are they making any disparaging comments? That's a different matter. But there's nothing disparaging about Jose. His accent isn't even meant to be a joke. The four birds are representing four different origins and their voices are imitations of those four accents.

Which becomes tough when you had one person doing eight voices and now have to pay eight people to each do a voice. And the problem is, when it becomes harder to do some things, plenty of people will just not do it. And then, you've got no representation. You've got complete erasure of the ethnicities. I don't need a Hispanic guy to do Bumblebee man. Hank Azaria was fine.
I'm not sure that a accent from any region can be a stereotype. Accents are facts not made up random situations. As stated, everyone has an accent and they are imitated constantly. New Englanders, New Yorkers, Bostonian, Jews, California dudes and valley girls, Louisiana creole, Mid west, French, Italian, Spanish, name any culture when attempting to speak another language or even their own specific dialect. Georgia, So. Carolina, No. Carolina all have specific accents. They are used by others to identify the culture not to make fun of it. Americans are not as imitated by other cultures because we are to lazy to learn another language and are obnoxious enough that think the we are special so if you want to talk to us you need to learn our language clearly.

rowrbazzle

There is definitely more going on to it than just his age or Covid. Spielberg walking away has gotta be related to some kind of disagreement between Disney and himself. Possibly related to his feelings towards how George was treated by Disney with Star Wars... they’re close.

TBH, Indiana Jones without Spielberg, Ford OR Lucas is a hard pass for me. It wouldn’t be the same at all.

After the last movie, I'm not confident it's the same with them at this point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There is definitely more going on to it than just his age or Covid. Spielberg walking away has gotta be related to some kind of disagreement between Disney and himself. Possibly related to his feelings towards how George was treated by Disney with Star Wars... they’re close.

TBH, Indiana Jones without Spielberg, Ford OR Lucas is a hard pass for me. It wouldn’t be the same at all.
After the last movie, I'm not confident it's the same with them at this point.
Did Spielberg walk?

If so...it’s DOA.

Though I wonder if that’s tied to his best buddy and a Hollywood power play? There’s been rumblings that he may be trying to reclaim his turf.

_caleb

There is a fine line between mock and comedy and as a fan of the latter I can’t endorse that militant view Caleb.
It’s militant to say that it’s mean and bad to mock people? I’m all for comedy, but I don’t care for it when it’s done at someone else’s expense. Nevertheless, I’m 100% in favor of anyone’s right to say whatever they like, no matter how insensitive.

Touchdown

It’s militant to say that it’s mean and bad to mock people? I’m all for comedy, but I don’t care for it when it’s done at someone else’s expense. Nevertheless, I’m 100% in favor of anyone’s right to say whatever they like, no matter how insensitive.

Im saying that line isn’t always clear, you make an absolute rule not to point out funny observations about other people, you destroy comedy.

That said if you aren’t sure you are crossing the line assume you are and leave the jokes to the professionals.

Brer Oswald

Most critical thinkers wouldn’t care.
The Americans enjoy making fun of Canada and our “accents”, despite the fact that most of us act and sound just like most of you. I couldn’t care less.
Learn to laugh at yourselves. Learn to recognize that stereotypes obviously aren’t completely accurate, they aren’t personal attacks, and they only exist for easy to develop entertainment.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Spielberg walking away has gotta be related to some kind of disagreement between Disney and himself. Possibly related to his feelings towards how George was treated by Disney with Star Wars... they’re close.

Have you been listening to the untethered rantings of the fandom menace?

Spielberg has been on board for Indy 5 for years now. And for years after whatever presumed horrible treatment Lucas got. If Spielberg won't work with Disney because of the supposed treatment Lucas got, then he wouldn't have originally agreed to be on board with Indy 5. Or worked with Disney for The BFG.

Ravenclaw78

To paraphrase Robert A. Heinlein's observations in Stranger in a Strange Land, all humor is at someone's expense.

Figurehead

In the Parks
No
Live and let live and respect everyone for who they are and the differences that they bring and recognize that we all complement each other in different ways. But also consider that this approach where no one can share an innocent laugh at themselves or someone else is over the top and I think it turns as many people off as it garners support on the other side. We should all stop taking ourselves so seriously. Aside from that, anyone visiting the parks now, enjoy yourselves and stay safe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom