Cash-Strapped Disney

SilentWindODoom

I'm not trying to be terrible, but I have to ask... Are you Hispanic? I ask that question because even though I am in favor or political correctness, to a degree, it just seems to me that if we are not part of that ethnicity then it is pretty presumptuous of us to feel that we have any right to tell others what they need to be offended by. Isn't that something that is more offensive then some of the things that are said in a show meant to be fun and harmless.

Yo. My entire family imitates the incredibly thick accents of my grandparents. I just spent the last two weeks immersed into In the Heights, which contains a lot of thick accents. I enjoyed it because I know people with thick accents and it's a touchstone to my life. Of course, that's Latin people being written by a Puerto Rican guy, but we already discussed the blowback against removal of Mel Blanc's Speedy Gonzalez. West Side Story is an important part of our culture even though half of the cast was white people spray-painted. To sum up something that's been happening a lot lately with a meme I saw on-line...

15943562840554379968965498519598.jpg

Hispanics fresh to the country do have a definable accent just as we have an accent when we are let's say in Mexico. Would we be offended if a Hispanic person imitated our accent? Think about it.

N... No. Would you be?

Every single common ride is better in Disneyland....except splash.

Two extra scenes and changing Ghost Host portrait preshow. People debate on whether Walt's vision for a pristine house is superior or not, so the grounds is a wash.

Also, while there are new effects, some debate that the temple outweighs the plusses to the Anaheim Jungle Cruise.

By the by, if Disneyland opens before the vaccine, how are they going to work the stretch rooms? I've been wondering about that.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
What happened to Indy 5?

Harrison was talking about shooting within a couple of months back in Feb https://screencrush.com/indiana-jones-5-starts-shooting/ and then BOOM, Steven walks away and it's being fully reset now with Mangold? I mean they must've spent like $80 million on pre and that's all been flushed down the toilet?!?... VERY weird.

Harrison Ford is not a young guy. It's basically impossible to film anything with him at this time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How can comcast bleed money, they charge a disney park hopper ticket for internet pricing, haha something disney they wish they could do(get in telecoms)
Disney doesn’t make its park profits off tickets...or hotels...or food.

It makes it off an egregiously high margin supply of sweatshop fair and its new burdgeoning “premium upsell” market - by and large.

So having parks closed or operating at 25 or 50% capacity is devastating to their bottomline.

Comcast will continue to just suck - generally speaking.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Anybody with half a wit knew China would eventually $&@& you unless there’s was a political revolution.

Talk to any company that has worked with them.

They befriend you.
You teach them everything you know.
They ignore all legal agreements and steal your work.
You leave China and they compete against you worldwide with your IP.

This happened to Microsoft, Siemens, Lockheed, etc.And all during the Obama administration.

Interestingly enough I have a friend who lives in China, I believe closer to Shanghai. He said you can get products like name brand designer watches for a ridiculously cheap price because over there they copy the product and sell it like a replica. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you tear the thing apart.

britain

What happened to Indy 5?

Harrison was talking about shooting within a couple of months back in Feb https://screencrush.com/indiana-jones-5-starts-shooting/ and then BOOM, Steven walks away and it's being fully reset now with Mangold? I mean they must've spent like $80 million on pre and that's all been flushed down the toilet?!?... VERY weird.

I have long felt the Indy 5 was a carrot they only dangled in front of Harrison Ford in order to get him to do Force Awakens. And everything since then has just been tire-kicking the Indy IP, putting one screenwriter after another on it. That’s a small fee considering how important Ford was to relaunching Star Wars.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Interestingly enough I have a friend who lives in China, I believe closer to Shanghai. He said you can get products like name brand designer watches for a ridiculously cheap price because over there they copy the product and sell it like a replica. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you tear the thing apart.
In some cases the counterfeit product is even “genuine” because the factory is doing unauthorized manufacturing and then selling those goods directly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have long felt the Indy 5 was a carrot they only dangled in front of Harrison Ford in order to get him to do Force Awakens. And everything since then has just been tire-kicking the Indy IP, putting one screen writer after another on it. That’s a small fee considering how important Ford was to relaunching Star Wars.
How’d that go?

I just got off a 5 year tour of duty on the USS Seawolf😉

SilentWindODoom

I think by the rest of that post it is pretty clear that I would not be offended. I think that was the purpose of my example. It is people that are presumptuous enough to feel that they are able to know what is offensive to people that they are not. No one can make that determination other then the ethnic involved.

Hehehe. I think I misread your initial post. It seemed like you were arguing the opposite. Unfortunately, a lot of people feel differently.

How would you feel if random (non-Hispanic) strangers imitated and exaggerated your grandparents’ accents?

There is a crapload of variables here. Do you mean if they did the same type of accent? That's the same situation as West Side Story and Speedy Gonzalez. Do you mean if they'd met them and did an imitation based on experience? I'd probably either laugh and continue and have a new friend for a moment or if it wasn't right, I'd correct them and then laugh.

Are they making fun, claiming they talk funny? I'd probably point out the stupid things about the way they talk. Everyone talks funny.

Are they making any disparaging comments? That's a different matter. But there's nothing disparaging about Jose. His accent isn't even meant to be a joke. The four birds are representing four different origins and their voices are imitations of those four accents.

Maybe, just maybe, a person that’s not a part of whatever ethnicity or background shouldn’t be deciding what is and isn’t offensive to the group, and the best thing to do is have performers of said background or ethnicity the ones representing themselves in media to ensure that the representation is genuine.

Which becomes tough when you had one person doing eight voices and now have to pay eight people to each do a voice. And the problem is, when it becomes harder to do some things, plenty of people will just not do it. And then, you've got no representation. You've got complete erasure of the ethnicities. I don't need a Hispanic guy to do Bumblebee man. Hank Azaria was fine.

Bleed0range

Harrison Ford is not a young guy. It's basically impossible to film anything with him at this time.

There is definitely more going on to it than just his age or Covid. Spielberg walking away has gotta be related to some kind of disagreement between Disney and himself. Possibly related to his feelings towards how George was treated by Disney with Star Wars... they’re close.

TBH, Indiana Jones without Spielberg, Ford OR Lucas is a hard pass for me. It wouldn’t be the same at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom