Liberty Square Riverboat And The Lone Smokestack

Liberty Square Riverboat At MK

• It looks great with just one smokestack. That makes it unique. Leave it alone.

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No, it needs two smokestacks like other riverboat designs.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • InnKpr, you have WAY too much time on your hands to be thinking about this.

Votes: 22 56.4%

• Total voters

InnKpr

Original Poster
*Warning* You are about to read a very petty complaint. Something that would be considered insignificant for even pre-2020's standards. But here it goes anyway...

MK's Liberty Square riverboat needs two smokestacks. There, I said it. (I warned you this was gonna be petty).

But let me explain why something so unimportant to an otherwise beautiful boat bothers me a little. Ever since I was a small child, I have been intrigued with paddle wheel riverboats. This fascination started at a Georgia state park which was home to two magnificent riverboats: One side-wheeler and one back-wheeler. And yes, that dorky 4-yr-old in a red shirt toward the bottom is yours truly with his father on one of many voyages around the lake.
stnm.jpg

From those early days on, riverboats became a fascination because, let's face it, they're nostalgic and just plain cool. Now granted, while the ones above are the real deal and the ones at Disney parks are track-based and not technically "riverboats", they still look the part, play the part, and count in my book.

So maybe it's my inner child speaking, but whenever I see the Liberty Square boat cruising along Rivers Of America, I often find myself thinking: "There needs to be two smokestacks."
Like I said, it's still a magnificent boat to look at, but by comparison, the Mark Twain at Disneyland seems to have the more authentic riverboat look & feel with it's dual smokestacks.
mtlb.jpg

Disney has used the traditional, dual-smokestack riverboat look many times throughout the years in film and theme parks, ever since that famous first animated boat in 1928. That dual-smokestack is a look I wish Liberty Square had as well.
dsbts.png

So what say you? Do you like the Liberty Square boat as it is, and appreciate the uniqueness of the lone smokestack? Or do you wish it had more of a traditional look with two smokestacks?

JIMINYCR

Leave it alone. No need to change something that no one else is bothered by. It isnt the kind of detail that ruins the experience.

The Empress Lilly

*Warning* You are about to read a very petty complaint. Something that would be considered insignificant for even pre-2020's standards. But here it goes anyway...

MK's Liberty Square riverboat needs two smokestacks. There, I said it. (I warned you this was gonna be petty).
It is a sign of superior intelligence and sensitivity to think WDW paddlewheel steamboats are the most important objects in the world. 😌😍😀

InnKpr

Original Poster
Herschend needs to bring the riverboats and live steam back to Stone Mountain.
Totally agree!

Luckily, they're both still docked on the lake. I found this video on YouTube of the Scarlett O'Hara's ( the side-wheeler mentioned in the first post that started my riverboat obsession) current state.
It's depressing considering her former years of glory cruising the water. But at least there's a shred of hope that the park hasn't removed or broken her down.

The Henry W. Grady (the back-wheeler) is supposedly still docked at the park as well.

Not giving up hope they both may run again someday.

InnKpr

Original Poster
Is the single stack not historic as well?
It is.

It's not so much that the lone smokestack of MK's boat isn't historically accurate. It just feels like it's lacking something; like a nice uniform with one shoe missing. I know this whole thing is beyond trivial, and none of it takes away from the enjoyment of the attraction.

The Empress Lilly

It is.

It's not so much that the lone smokestack of MK's boat isn't historically accurate. It just feels like it's lacking something; like a nice uniform with one shoe missing. I know this whole thing is beyond trivial, and none of it takes away from the enjoyment of the attraction.
If there is only one riverboat it should have two stacks. If there are two boats, one should have obe and the other two.

Even better would be the DL option of two vastly different vessels operating on the river. The Rivers of America are not set in one specific time or place. A lot of other options are possible. Although as usual, the MK fleet will sooner be greatly decrrased further rather than expanded. At this point I'd be relieved if in ten years time there still is a river and the last boat isn't permanently docked, or converted into a permanent Tiana upcharge princess party center.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
This is a real meh topic. It's similar to adding on an aftermarket airfoil to the rear of a front-wheel-drive car. All about appearance and not function. If it was about function, to maximize the flue effect only a taller stack, not multiple ones should be considered.

WallyWorld

Looking at aerial views of the rivers os America....and having read the drydock is near central shops (pardon if my terminology is wrong)...How do the riverboats get there? I'm guessing the bridge on Caribbean Way can be raised....but the railroad doesn't seem elevated enough for the river boats to get under. This has suddenly caught my interest.

Thanks

lazyboy97o

Looking at aerial views of the rivers os America....and having read the drydock is near central shops (pardon if my terminology is wrong)...How do the riverboats get there? I'm guessing the bridge on Caribbean Way can be raised....but the railroad doesn't seem elevated enough for the river boats to get under. This has suddenly caught my interest.

Thanks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom