Cash-Strapped Disney

WDW Pro

Original Poster
I remember reading from another insider that the upcoming DL Splash change had little to do with the petitions and more to do with retheming the area to sell more instragram moments and relevant food / merchandise nearby. They just, in a deplorable way, used this time of uncertainty to their advantage. I guess Splash isn't nostalgic enough to $hapek & company.

Gonna take some time to recoup 60-80 million in different merchandise.

JoeCamel

Gonna take some time to recoup 60-80 million in different merchandise.
I don't get why the splash merch is not online? The inpark exclusive that is being sold (I'm not positive it is exclusive?) could cover the 60 - 80 in no time if it was in the wild. I mean everyone wants Brer Bear on their shelf so they can dust it.

asianway

I don't get why the splash merch is not online? The inpark exclusive that is being sold (I'm not positive it is exclusive?) could cover the 60 - 80 in no time if it was in the wild. I mean everyone wants Brer Bear on their shelf so they can dust it.
It was there in March/April they pulled it at some point

Getachew

Seeing this thread is making me laugh. Disney now probably not gonna do a re-theme on the WDW version of Splash because money? Them bleeding money every second?

For real though, if this is true, its gonna be the biggest lol moments to all the Kpop stans on twitter wanting it changed. I am just confused that this is the reason why they wouldn't be doing it. Wouldn't Disney cancel their other projects to make room for this re-theme because its more important? At least we still have the Tokyo version to ride still.

Side note: Comcast is probably about to take the crown from Disney at some point now.

Is there any evidence of this happening? Comcast seems to be bleeding lots of money as well.

Goofyernmost

Jose’s extreeeemely stereotypical hispanic accent is not a great thing these days. It’s not mean-spirited, it’s just a product of its time. Easily fixed with a re-record.
I'm not trying to be terrible, but I have to ask... Are you Hispanic? I ask that question because even though I am in favor or political correctness, to a degree, it just seems to me that if we are not part of that ethnicity then it is pretty presumptuous of us to feel that we have any right to tell others what they need to be offended by. Isn't that something that is more offensive then some of the things that are said in a show meant to be fun and harmless. Hispanics fresh to the country do have a definable accent just as we have an accent when we are let's say in Mexico. Would we be offended if a Hispanic person imitated our accent? Think about it.

Fox&Hound

In regards to the OP, I guess the silver lining is that a huge amount of the projects and expansions were already completed or underway before this all happened. Imagine if COVID had hit in 2015, after the resort had mostly stagnated for a decade. It would have stagnated even longer, and think of how many additions we wouldn't have.

I agree. I am so thankful we have NFL, Star Wars land, Toy Story Land, Avatar in AK, Cars show in DHS, Frozen in Epcot, new hub in MK, re-designed Disney Springs, Happily Ever After show, MMRR, AK night show, skyliner, and projects that are too far along to cancel (Tron, Guardians, Rat,new Epcot show?). And I know I missed a ton. Disney has been on a roll lately and has spent so much money in the parks. Yes I don't want to see spending slow down in the parks, but I understand why it will have to happen and at least we have so many finished projects to enjoy while we wait for spending to resume.

HauntedMansionFLA

@WDW Pro When will layoffs start up? Will it be mid-management? At the parks, you always see groups of plain clothes cast members walking around ( not communicating with working cast members). Will they trim staffing at the manager / coordinator positions?

gljvd

If I was Disney I would do 2 things to quickly bring in money

1)Relaunch magical world of Disney but on youtube. There are tons of youtubers out there getting hundreds of thousands of views a day. Launch it and feature a new ride each day with triva and other things. These videos would generate millions of views and bring in a lot of cash and generate interest. DL is closed right now , would be a perfect time to film this stuff and you only need a 2 or 3 person crew , really easy to social distance

2) Put into production animation. Yes it takes a long time but at least you have content being produced to start making money in the long term. It would be an easy way to reboot star wars , an easy way to keep marvel going. Give some of the lesser Marvel comic characters some small animated shows. Out source it to china to make to keep costs really low.

Anyway I doubt Disney is going anywhere but it will certainly be a different company after covid.

Joesixtoe

It just needs to be toned down a tiny notch IMO; just a word here and there (like “for eeeensteeeence...” I could actually do without the line, “I wonder what happened to Rosita.”

Jose overall is a great host and a wonderful character.
In high school theater I was told to over play the part. I wasn't supposed to win an oscar on a true to life portrayal of a nerd, but basically be Steve Urkel.

Ldno

How can comcast bleed money, they charge a disney park hopper ticket for internet pricing, haha something disney they wish they could do(get in telecoms)

rio

So they put COP in their sights. That might be a good thing since the show needs an update badly. The original audience the show was designed for to capitalize on nostalgia is for the most part deceased, and the present finally surpassed the show’s version of the future since its last redo 27 years ago. A redo, even if we don’t agree with the reasons, might just invigorate new life and renewed respect into it, rather than the increasingly likely alternative if it doesn’t get updated again.

Oskar

I seem to recall hearing the CoP has been viewed as the legacy attraction it is, and will not be removed. Suddenly this isn’t the case? Not sure if I buy that. I wouldn’t be surprised, but I don’t really buy it.

For what it's worth, @Magic Feather has already said in another thread very recently that Carousel of Progress is not being mothballed or demolished (as was claimed in that thread) and that any claims otherwise have been greatly exaggerated.

Quinnmac000

Is there any evidence of this happening? Comcast seems to be bleeding lots of money as well.

Comcast gets steady revenue from being an ISP; add in they own multiple distribution methods of PVOD (Fandango, Vudu, and Xfinity) they have been ranking in solely from home video rentals. Add in net neutrality being dead, they can easily charge netflix not to throttle netfilx streaming and disney+ streaming speeds

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom