Cash-Strapped Disney

DoleWhipDrea

The size proportions of the current various critters will be challenging next to or near a Louis AA too, who I imagine will be re-skins of Brer Bear AAs.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Mothball doesn't mean demoed. Things can and do change, but there's a significant push to move the attraction to seasonal, then leave it unopened. It has antiquated systems, it needs a makeover, it's low on the totem pole for attractions likely to receive cash, it's nearly impossible to disinfect, and it's been identified as problematic from an internal review committee looking at diversity and inclusive themes.

I choose what I put mental energy into very carefully so I'm not going to let myself get upset...yet...at this. But if they close CoP, it will be on par with the Pleasure Island closing in terms of gut wrenching change for me. I swear I'll ride it all day long on the last day of operation(assuming they even tell us) if they do this. I have taken SO many people to see that show, whether they are first timers or come every other year but just never went on it. I make sure people who come to the parks with me understand it's an important part of Disney heritage with a timeless theme. It will hurt...badly...if it goes away.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
and it's been identified as problematic from an internal review committee looking at diversity and inclusive themes.
Some of these committees are biased to the point of embarrassing.
Has anyone heard how this may involve or impact the Disney Cruise Line pertaining to the new ships or the development of Lighthouse Point?
Easier on in the pandemic lockdown timeframe the new ships were continuing as planned.

nickys

Premium Member
Going forward, what does this mean?

1. Epcot changes are likely to be MUCH less than originally planned.
2. Layoffs are coming.
3. Announced additions are on very long timelines.
4. Disney World having to close again would be devastating.
5. OLC and Disney relations are strained; expect that to manifest in visible ways.
6. Every penny counts, and cost cutting measures can be expected within 12 months.
7?. Is Chapek the fall guy? Many are speculating Iger plans to use him as the scapegoat.
8. 50th celebration is essentially canceled down to only things that cost little... no new floats, no big refurbs.

Additional info on Splash:
This whole Splash Mountain thing was torpedoed by Tokyo. Disney wanted to get completely away from Song of the South, but OLC essentially told them to pound sand. That meant they're stuck spending enormous money just to match the current quality, and simultaneously NOT getting away from Song of the South. So the only gain they get is Tiana might sell better in the souvenir shop.

1. Already stated by others.
2. Was always likely from the minute the parks closed. Mitigated perhaps by CMs covering the College Programme roles for the time being.

Question for you - What does that mean for the CP and the International programmes? Apart from the parks AKL especially will be poorer by not having the CMs from Africa to give their talks about home life and the art on display.

3. Already stated by others
4. Are you Sherlock Holmes in disguise? 🙄 A certain phrase Springs to mind which I shall refrain from posting in full - “no ____ Sherlock”.
5. OK.
6. So no change there then, this can hardly be described as “news”.
7. That has been speculated since the beginning of his tenure.
8. That was stated months ago by others.

When the Splash Mountain news broke, it was also reported that Tokyo’s was not being replaced. Big draw for the Japanese park after next year.

_caleb

If Disney is indeed “cash-strapped,” why haven’t we heard any news of more desperate measures (selling assets, shuttering departments), or even greater diversification of their business models? I’m not saying they haven’t been pinched by the shutdown–of course they have (and I don’t think we’ve seen the extent of it yet). But if Disney were in panic mode, it seems like we’d see more, I don’t know, panic?

I do think the biggest hope for the future of the Mouse is the same thing they started out with: animation. If they poured a lot of money into doing what they (used to) do best and filled Disney+ with great animated storytelling (alongside live-action) released at regular intervals, I think it would provide a more reliable stream of revenue. And since animation production can be done remotely, it can be shutdown-proof.

Lilofan

If Disney is indeed “cash-strapped,” why haven’t we heard any news of more desperate measures (selling assets, shuttering departments), or even greater diversification of their business models? I’m not saying they haven’t been pinched by the shutdown–of course they have (and I don’t think we’ve seen the extent of it yet). But if Disney were in panic mode, it seems like we’d see more, I don’t know, panic?

I do think the biggest hope for the future of the Mouse is the same thing they started out with: animation. If they poured a lot of money into doing what they (used to) do best and filled Disney+ with great animated storytelling (alongside live-action) released at regular intervals, I think it would provide a more reliable stream of revenue. And since animation production can be done remotely, it can be shutdown-proof.
Stay tuned. Look at what Carnival is doing. Shuttering ? How about all the interns laid off, CP/ICP program shuttered, only 39% of resort cast recalled, over 80% of parks cast recalled, no fireworks, parades, Disney execs taking 20-30% pay cuts, Iger taking 100% pay cut, Chapek 50% pay cut, furlough 70K cast starting in March, and that's just for starters.

Last edited:

_caleb

Stay tuned. Look at what Carnival is doing.
These are the sorts of measures I’m talking about. And Disney may very well be next. But I haven’t seen this sort of panic reaction at Disney, have you?

Months ago I posted about how Disney’s entertainment business model (that relies on tv/film production, sports, and park/theater attendance) is very risky in a public health crisis like the pandemic. If I can see that, certainly Disney, its investors, and business analysts could too. Yet 5 months later, no major changes to that business model have been announced. OP says they’re in dire straights. I‘m not questioning his intel, just saying it doesn’t look like it from the outside.

Mrtko

I enjoy reading WDW Pro and tend to believe he has some level of inside information and thank him for presenting it. I don't have inside information, just these observations:

AT&T is as much in debt or maybe more than Disney. I think they are betting on a strong demand for HBO Max and the movie business to provide a revenue generating path out. If they push the DC Comics brand correctly they easily could generate $Billions but they have to do it to fan satisfaction not "proper messaging" standards. I sense they know that. My experience with HBO Max is that it is stunningly good. AT&T seems poised to fight.

Comcast seems to smell blood in the water in the amusement park business. You can almost feel the drive inside Comcast to catch and surpass Disney. Comcast is not as cash strapped as Disney and can bring something to the fight. This is their opportunity and they know it.

Disney was having attendance slippage at the parks before the pandemic. Investment in Star Wars land and the new ride additions were in recognition they needed to fight to stay on top, but was it spent wisely? Do they have the money to finish it? Maybe, maybe not. The movie business was huge but even when theaters are back what do they have to offer? Marvel is out of gas, they have cannibalized most of the existing Disney IP and Star Wars was left broken down by the side of the road. For the movie business there is no where to go except in creating new and wonderful characters like Eisner did but that doesn't seem possible for them right now. As for Disney Plus I think is popular and working well but I have it and never look at it. I am sure others do but Disney Plus can't hold up the entire company.

I can understand an internal view that says "we will be eaten alive if we don't invest" and I can understand a view that says "we will sink if we can't stay afloat" but neither view leads them out of trouble and both views together is certain death. They seem confused as to direction and now seem ashamed of their past and want to tear it all down to gain approval. I am simply not seeing business decisions that lead them out of trouble. Comcast and AT&T seem much more focused. To me Disney is a wounded animal and looks ready to be eaten.

The Disney we remember and want is not the Disney that exists right now. I really think Disney has lost their way badly and fear we are going to see an implosion of a company that was once a national treasure. Will it return? Maybe, but not with the current management.

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

Some of these committees are biased to the point of embarrassing.

Easier on in the pandemic lockdown timeframe the new ships were continuing as planned.

How exactly are they biased? Are they just going for the jugular because they can? Some of these rumored changes seem understandable and then the others seem completely ridiculous.

Bleed0range

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention:

This whole Splash Mountain thing was torpedoed by Tokyo. Disney wanted to get completely away from Song of the South, but OLC essentially told them to pound sand. That meant they're stuck spending enormous money just to match the current quality, and simultaneously NOT getting away from Song of the South. So the only gain they get is Tiana might sell better in the souvenir shop.

I told you guys Tokyo wouldn’t want to change. The whole racism thing is a big American problem and I expected they wouldn’t see a reason to change it. I support change if the DL version but I don’t think it would be the end of the world if they kept the WDW version as is. Although I imagine it just means it’ll take longer to change it since it’s so different.

Touchdown

The Fed is propping up the market. The market is not a representation of the real economy.

Not to mention a whole lot of wealthy and upper middle class people who have kept their jobs and have no place to spend their money right now because of the pandemic and have no where else to park that cash.

Mr. Tickle

Not to mention a whole lot of wealthy and upper middle class people who have kept their jobs and have no place to spend their money right now because of the pandemic and have no where else to park that cash.
I believe this has been an eye opener for the middle class showing them that the system is more fragile than they thought. A lot of people that are still fortunate enough to be employed are using this opportunity to pay down debt.

Touchdown

I believe this has been an eye opener for the middle class showing them that the system is more fragile than they thought. A lot of people that are still fortunate enough to be employed are using this opportunity to pay down debt.

Absolutely, I’m talking about older individuals who no longer have any. I’m in the process of paying off my debt myself, but after that I’m probably going to put more into the market.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom