JetBlue will end service in Long Beach in October, transfer routes to LAX - OCR/SCNG

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

>>JetBlue will end service at the Long Beach Airport as part of a move to consolidate its routes in the Los Angeles region, the company announced Thursday, July 9.

The last day of the airline’s service in Long Beach will be Oct. 6. Many of the routes JetBlue offered in Long Beach will go to the Los Angeles International Airport. The airline will, however, maintain its service at the Hollywood Burbank Airport, the Ontario International Airport, the San Diego International Airport and the Palm Springs International Airport.<<

>>JetBlue currently holds 17 flight slots at the Long Beach Airport. Guidry said she expects “strong interest in the slots as they become available.”

Southwest Airlines, Delta Air Lines and Hawaiian Airlines have all recently expressed a desire to obtain more flight slots at the Long Beach Airport.<<

cmwade77

Nooooooo!!!!!

Aww man.....!

Loved having the option to fly non-stop coast to coast BOS to LGB.
I still have one more chance...if I come in September.

Sad to hear the news, regardless.

I'm sorry..but LAX = SUX

:(

-
Exactly, although it's a little worse for us, we live about 5 minutes away from LGB.

TP2000

Nooooooo!!!!!

Aww man.....!

Loved having the option to fly non-stop coast to coast BOS to LGB.
I still have one more chance...if I come in September.

Sad to hear the news, regardless.

I'm sorry..but LAX = SUX

I read that article in the Register today and thought instantly of you. It's terrible news.

Of course, things can change, but I'm afraid it's going to be at least five years before JetBlue comes back to Long Beach.

At least JetBlue is one of the three minor airlines that the federal government has agreed they will prop up for the next year or so to keep it afloat, along with Alaska and Southwest. The three main legacy carriers are also fairly guaranteed of federal support through the end of this year; United, American and Delta. Although I wouldn't be sad to see United and their horrible service standards and management go the way of Braniff or Eastern and be allowed to die the overdue death that they deserve.

But that's just me, as a member of the Delta Frequent Flyer Club (or the various names they've called it) since 1979. :cool:

Delta-Frequent-Flyer.jpg

Last edited:

Lilofan

I read that article in the Register today and thought instantly of you. It's terrible news.

Of course, things can change, but I'm afraid it's going to be at least five years before JetBlue comes back to Long Beach.

At least JetBlue is one of the three minor airlines that the federal government has agreed they will prop up for the next year or so to keep it afloat, along with Alaska and Southwest. The three main legacy carriers are also fairly guaranteed of federal support through the end of this year; United, American and Delta. Although I wouldn't be sad to see United and their horrible service standards and management go the way of Braniff or Eastern and be allowed to die the horrible death that they deserve.

But that's just me, as a member of the Delta Frequent Flyer Club (or the various names they've called it) since 1979. :cool:

Delta-Frequent-Flyer.jpg
I know someone at United Airlines thinking about taking the severance package. If not many take it, the staff has been warned that starting Oct 1, approx 36K staff or 45% of the UA workforce could be laid off which includes 30% of salaried staff.

Figments Friend

At least JetBlue is one of the three minor airlines that the federal government has agreed they will prop up for the next year or so to keep it afloat, along with Alaska and Southwest. The three main legacy carriers are also fairly guaranteed of federal support through the end of this year; United, American and Delta. Although I wouldn't be sad to see United and their horrible service standards and management go the way of Braniff or Eastern and be allowed to die the overdue death that they deserve.

Delta-Frequent-Flyer.jpg

Thanks TP.
So sweet of you to think of lil' ol' me!
:)

American Airlines is still a option for me from where i am to LGB but JetBlue was my preference for several reasons.
The non-stop options being foremost, but also the fantastic SNACKS they offered !
I love 'Blue Chips'....!!
Oh, and they accepted PayPal as a payment option which was fantastic for me.
I could use money i earned selling my artwork to pay for flights = WIN.
:cool:

And slamming Eastern...?
Hey now, i was a fan...but it's more nostalgia based since they were WDW's 'Official Airline' for several years during the 'Vacation Kingdom of the World' days.
Sure the airline ended up becoming a mess, but back then they were seemingly fabulous.
I still find the look of their plane markings 'sexy'.

When i have some time i should share some of the cool Eastern collectibles i have saved from my 70s and early 80s visits to WDW.
Some rare gems for sure...!
I even have a tarmac staff embroidered shirt....cuz' yeah, i'm a freak.

-

TP2000

Thanks TP.
So sweet of you to think of lil' ol' me!

American Airlines is still a option for me from where i am to LGB but JetBlue was my preference for several reasons.
The non-stop options being foremost, but also the fantastic SNACKS they offered !
I love 'Blue Chips'....!!
Oh, and they accepted PayPal as a payment option which was fantastic for me.
I could use money i earned selling my artwork to pay for flights = WIN.
:cool:

And slamming Eastern...?
Hey now, i was a fan...but it's more nostalgia based since they were WDW's 'Official Airline' for several years during the 'Vacation Kingdom of the World' days.
Sure the airline ended up becoming a mess, but back then they were seemingly fabulous.
I still find the look of their plane markings 'sexy'.

When i have some time i should share some of the cool Eastern collectibles i have saved from my 70s and early 80s visits to WDW.
Some rare gems for sure...!
I even have a tarmac staff embroidered shirt....cuz' yeah, i'm a freak.

-

Oh, please don't misunderstand, I have nothing but fond and happy memories of Eastern and their Whisperjets!

It's really only United Airlines that has been consistently terrible and insulting to humanity for at least 20 years. Continental used to be good (we move our tails for you!), but when United took them over it only seemed to make United worse. For the past decade United Airlines only serves to remind us all how awful a company can be, and how miserable life can be.

I've always had a good experience with JetBlue, although I've only taken them on short hops to Las Vegas or the Bay Area; but they are fresh, and friendly and with roomy seats and very good snacks!

Braniff was great too, especially when their entire fleet was a mish-mash of colors in the 70's and 80's. I think towards the end they went to a boring burgundy livery for their planes and beige for their stews, which helped do them in. But in the 70's when Eastern was the Official Airline of WDW and Braniff had their stews in those wild Pucci uniforms, they were wonderful airlines.

6fa1245fd7eb9892cf9f86cd8c2d2045.png

That photo not only reminds me of how fab the 70's could be, it inspires me to take an elaborate Macrame' arts n' crafts project on my next flight and spread yarn all over the place, like the judgmental Hippie Chick in seat 1A. :cool:

This really isn't good news for Long Beach or Disneyland though. Delta Air Lines already announced a major Covid related reduction in service to LGB (and when you include the terminal, it's full acronym is LGBT). LGB had spent quite a tidy sum for such a small airport to completely redo and rethink it about 8 years ago, and the results were wonderful.

LAX is... LAX. :rolleyes:

And John Wayne has had service reductions recently too, although at least all the airlines it has have maintained their presence there. But this dramatic reduction in services and airlines at LGB is not helpful to the Disneyland tourist industry and the ease with which to get to/from Disneyland for many tourists.

Figments Friend

Oh, please don't misunderstand, I have nothing but fond and happy memories of Eastern and their Whisperjets!

It's really only United Airlines that has been consistently terrible and insulting to humanity for at least 20 years. Continental used to be good (we move our tails for you!), but when United took them over it only seemed to make United worse. For the past decade United Airlines only serves to remind us all how awful a company can be, and how miserable life can be.

I've always had a good experience with JetBlue, although I've only taken them on short hops to Las Vegas or the Bay Area; but they are fresh, and friendly and with roomy seats and very good snacks!

Braniff was great too, especially when their entire fleet was a mish-mash of colors in the 70's and 80's. I think towards the end they went to a boring burgundy livery for their planes and beige for their stews, which helped do them in. But in the 70's when Eastern was the Official Airline of WDW and Braniff had their stews in those wild Pucci uniforms, they were wonderful airlines.

6fa1245fd7eb9892cf9f86cd8c2d2045.png

That photo not only reminds me of how fab the 70's could be, it inspires me to take an elaborate Macrame' arts n' crafts project on my next flight and spread yarn all over the place, like the judgmental Hippie Chick in seat 1A. :cool:

This really isn't good news for Long Beach or Disneyland though. Delta Air Lines already announced a major Covid related reduction in service to LGB (and when you include the terminal, it's full acronym is LGBT). LGB had spent quite a tidy sum for such a small airport to completely redo and rethink it about 8 years ago, and the results were wonderful.

LAX is... LAX. :rolleyes:

And John Wayne has had service reductions recently too, although at least all the airlines it has have maintained their presence there. But this dramatic reduction in services and airlines at LGB is not helpful to the Disneyland tourist industry and the ease with which to get to/from Disneyland for many tourists.

Wow....that photo is a absolute scream.
Love it!
🤣

Continental was terrific for a budget choice.
Used to fly them a lot back in the day to Florida, then when they folded AirTran.
Delta's SONG was great too ( remember that short lived enterprise..?).

I miss em' all.
It's always good to have options when it comes to pricing and routes.

-

TP2000

Wow....that photo is a absolute scream.
Love it!
🤣

Continental was terrific for a budget choice.
Used to fly them a lot back in the day to Florida, then when they folded AirTran.
Delta's SONG was great too ( remember that short lived enterprise..?).

I miss em' all.
It's always good to have options when it comes to pricing and routes.

I did fly Delta's SONG airline a few times. It was great. Everyone was trying to fight JetBlue back then in the early 2000's.

I remember flying Continental and Western Airlines a lot in the 70's and 80's. I still find myself whistling the Continental "We Really Move Our Tail For You!" jingle on occasion when I'm gardening or goofing off. Let's see if I can infect this earworm in a few other folks for the weekend...

Although, as I was strictly a West Coaster in the 70's and early 80's, I flew Hughes Airwest a lot up and down the coast, they were "The Top Banana In The West" and everything was painted bright yellow. They were most memorable for their stewardesses in yellow go-go boots and these HUGE sweeping ponchos that the girls would purposely waft around as they welcomed you onboard and walked through the terminals. It was so memorable because it was so hysterical!! Talk about great branding.

a12f1fc088029ae6ea1aef91a0a24bf9.jpg

Hughes Airwest got bought by... I think it was Air California, who then got bought by USAirlines, who got folded into TWA (I think?). And then of course TWA didn't survive after 9/11.

And this current airline downturn is five times worse than 9/11. The 9/11 attacks were horrible and changed flying forever, but the closure only lasted 3 days and within 3 months passenger levels were back to normal. It seems as though we haven't even begun to process the bankruptcies and closures that this Covid collapse will cause, as it's only been a few months. The true impact on the airlines won't be seen and felt until later this year and into 2021. But look out, cause it's gonna get ugly!

TP2000

Hughes Airwest got bought by Republic Airways in 1980. Republic was acquired by Northwest Airlines in 1986, which in turn was merged into Delta Air Lines in 2010.

Ah! Thank you! I knew Hughest Airwest got bought by someone as it just disappeared by the early 80's, but then I forgot who got bought next and then gobbled up later. I'd forgotten about Northwest Orient, they used to be a good airline too.

I'm a big Delta fan now, so it's good to know that Hughes Airwest still kind of lives on with Delta. Although Hughes Airwest flew DC-9's exclusively, and those haven't been seen in the sky in 30 years, so the planes are long gone.

But it's nice to think that maybe there's still a poncho or two and some yellow go-go boots left in some back closet at Delta headquarters.

21cde4b917d6492a3b4e2122dd51537f--airline-travel-air-travel.jpg

Last edited:

truecoat

Ah! Thank you! I knew Hughest Airwest got bought by someone as it just disappeared by the early 80's, but then I forgot who got bought next and then gobbled up later. I'd forgotten about Northwest Orient, they used to be a good airline too.

Northwest going away ended up being very good for Minneapolis, based here they monopolized the airports with high fares. It's never been cheaper to fly for me.

Figments Friend

Currently $178 Roundtrip from Boston to Long Beach this September on JetBlue.
Coast to coast...for what is typically the price to fly two hours to Florida.
WOW!
Absolutely terrific fare..cheapest I've ever seen to date for LGB.
It's probably a non-stop flight too...the BOS to LGB route typically is with JetBlue.

Just wow....

Man...I'd love to take advantage of it, but cannot since I have no idea when DLR is re-opening.
Gah...the airfares are so reasonable right now for Septmber dates.
Insane...and I can't do a darn thing until firmer news arrives regarding the Reaort area.

( bounces up and down in seat with heightened yet slightly frustrated anticipation )

-

cmwade77

At this point I don't think Disneyland knows when they're reopening either.
Nope, it is all up to the state, my guess is Mid-August to early September at the latest, but then again I really though no later than July 4th, so who knows?

Back on topic, the issue JetBlue is going to run into is most Southern Californians will literally pay more to fly out of anywhere else besides LAX.

Figments Friend

Gah....!

Just now seeing this in my email and my desire to book NOW for my return to Anaheim just went up ten fold -

MIMI'S IS OPEN!!!

:hungry:

image.jpeg

Now it's getting heated.
JetBlue is also now sending me 'buy one, get one free' deals as of yesterday.
They are 'stalking' me now ...knowing I'm watching the rates and getting antsy to book.
Buy one flight, get another one to anywhere in the U.S. for free.

Gahh!!!

( head spins.....as hands are tied and can't do a darn thing until DLR news arrives)

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom