Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

TrojanUSC

The United States closed, and, in turn, WDW closed, because NYC closed. The two brothers up there have America up in arms over their inability to both lead a news channel or govern a state.

WDW closed because they knew staff wouldn’t show up, the news cycle would have a fit, which would further depress their stock price, and because everyone else was doing it.

I’m waiting for you to continue your holy rant, again.

WDW closed because there was a deadly virus going around that had the potential to infect thousands of guests and employees. They also closed before NYC (or Florida) really took any mitigation measures.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The United States closed, and, in turn, WDW closed, because NYC closed. The two brothers up there have America up in arms over their inability to both lead a news channel or govern a state.

WDW closed because they knew staff wouldn’t show up, the news cycle would have a fit, which would further depress their stock price, and because everyone else was doing it.

I’m waiting for you to continue your holy rant, again.
I got some beans to sell you.

You need to follow the sequence of events AND have a fundamental understanding of how Disney operates their business.

I’m afraid that’s what it will take to understand this.

DVCakaCarlF

WDW closed because there was a deadly virus going around that had the potential to infect thousands of guests and employees. They also closed before NYC (or Florida) really took any mitigation measures.
Disney is always the barometer, in people’s minds, as to how dire a situation really is. “If WDW is open, its not that bad, if they are closed, then OMG, etc.”

TrojanUSC

Disney is always the barometer, in people’s minds, as to how dire a situation really is. “If WDW is open, its not that bad, if they are closed, then OMG, etc.”

You said they closed because New York closed. They closed before New York closed. Now they're the barometer. They are the largest single-site employer in the US. If hospitals are over run, they have no choice but to close again.

DVCakaCarlF

I got some beans to sell you.

You need to follow the sequence of events AND have a fundamental understanding of how Disney operates their business.

I’m afraid that’s what it will take to understand this.
And I’ll buy those beans...I have a fair understanding of how their business operates, and, what I’m arguing, is that the decision to shut down, instead of restructure or slow down, was a mistake, in hindsight.

DVCakaCarlF

You said they closed because New York closed. They closed before New York closed. Now they're the barometer. They are the largest single-site employer in the US. If hospitals are over run, they have no choice but to close again.
The conversation with NYC closing was had long before WDW closed. Yes, they closed, officially, before NYC, but it was always understood NYC would close.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And I’ll buy those beans...I have a fair understanding of how their business operates, and, what I’m arguing, is that the decision to shut down, instead of restructure or slow down, was a mistake, in hindsight.
Public pressure would have forced them shut within two weeks of when they did, it would have been a PR nightmare, and their business would be in no better shape than it is now.

And that’s just the historical record at this point.

Florida did not have it “figured out”

California didn’t either.

Making past tense theories devoid of common sense is the equivalent of peeing into a hurricane.

Last edited:

Kman101

I don’t think “closing” matters at this point.

They won’t generate the crowds needed for six months.

We are somewhat Disney sycophant - across the boards - here...

But people are having the hard time accepting the reality that most are not...and they still make up a majority of the Disney park customers.

No it doesn't, agreed

And they don't have the demand. Their actions in the last day or two tell me this.

And if they have to intentionally keep their capacity low (which they do and should) ... it's going to be a long time for recovery.

DVCakaCarlF

Public pressure would have forced them shut with two weeks of when they did, it would have been a PR nightmare, and their business would be in no better shape than it is now.

And that’s just the historical record at this point.
How can they go 50 years considering all the global events, and not encounter an event like this that causes them to, more or less, shut down?

TrojanUSC

They were mandated to by the state and operating with the CDC guidelines, which were in place at the time, would have been a disaster from a PR/legal perspective. This is why they closed prior to being forced to.

How can they go 50 years considering all the global events, and not encounter an event like this that causes them to, more or less, shut down?

This was the first time a global pandemic, spread directly in the kinds of environments guests want in swampy Florida (cool air-conditioned spaces), threatened thousand of guest/cast lives? Not sure how you're missing that?

DVCakaCarlF

No it doesn't, agreed

And they don't have the demand. Their actions in the last day or two tell me this.

And if they have to intentionally keep their capacity low ... it's going to be a long time for recovery.
Any recovery will come once a cure or vaccine develops...even if that cure is a six pack of beer and a potato.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The recession was long overdue, and, myself included, became accustomed to a robust economy...Covid was the domino that started the recession.
We finally agree on something.

It was vastly overdue and Inevitable...and Disney is the least prepared for this one than any of the 6-10 they have endured before.

It’s the pricing that’s different this time.

Kman101

We finally agree on something.

It was vastly overdue and Inevitable...and Disney is the least prepared for this one than any of the 6-10 they have endured before.

It’s the pricing that’s different this time.

They're never prepared. And they've acted like they're going out of business since the 90s.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
War, terrorism, natural disasters, flu season, SARS, H1N1, Oil Crisis, shuttle disasters, impeachment, etc...everything is more “intense” now because of social media.
The flu doesn’t impact travel

Hurricanes are disruptions on average for 3 or so days. Disney has closed for 4 total days due to hurricane in 48+ years

SARS and H1N1 were contained due to differences in virology, better leadership and some fortuitous luck.

The oil crisis was when Disney business was far smaller and required far less travelers to survive. Stock dynamics were also completely different then.

I don’t recall any impeachment restrictions in the parks...and no business was lost due to fear of falling shuttle debris.

Wars are good for business (rule of acquisition number 72)

And the terrorism analogy does not work...that is in my wheelhouse...don’t go there.

So again: what event can you point to that’s at all similar??

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom