"Encanto" Coming Fall 2021

brb1006

The film is tentatively titled Encanto (could change as Raya and the Last Dragon was originally titled Dragon Empire) and is centered on a young girl and her family in Brazil, who all have magical powers, sadly, the young girl has no powers.

Encanto becomes the third Disney animated film in the last five years to feature a woman of color as its lead character, following Moana (Polynesian) and Raya and the Last Dragon (Asian).

Jedijax719

A similar article on the film.
Does that mean that there will be multiple main characters or does it specifically mean that the main character won't be identified as either male nor female?(gender non-specific character). Because from what I read, that is what Latinx means.

tcool123

Does that mean that there will be multiple main characters or does it specifically mean that the main character won't be identified as either male nor female?(gender non-specific character). Because from what I read, that is what Latinx means.
Hi from a latinx I take it to mean they dont have a gender yet for the main character. On top of that lantinx over all is more empowering. Many of my friends identify as latinx even thought we have genders. Its more than just gender it also is about pride for us.

Also reading through the article it just seems that they meant the family will be latinx. Probably a mother figure (latina) father fihhre (latino), and at least one child.

Jedijax719

Hi from a latinx I take it to mean they dont have a gender yet for the main character. On top of that lantinx over all is more empowering. Many of my friends identify as latinx even thought we have genders. Its more than just gender it also is about pride for us.

Also reading through the article it just seems that they meant the family will be latinx. Probably a mother figure (latina) father fihhre (latino), and at least one child.
Gotcha thanks. Although it seems that with the daughter not having magic the emphasis will be on her.

tcool123

Gotcha thanks. Although it seems that with the daughter not having magic the emphasis will be on her.
It could be like Coco with Miguel as the focus but his family still playing a huge role. I definitely think family will end up being a major component. In many latinx cultures our families are everything.

I definitely see the family being a major component, but not to the extent of Coco. Im definitely excited to see what happens, and how Disney worls everythinf out.

Is there any word if this is a musical? Id love to hear more latinx inspired music in the Disney library.

NateD1226

Original Poster
Is there any word if this is a musical? Id love to hear more latinx inspired music in the Disney library.
They have Lin Manuel Miranda on music so I am guessing it will be a musical.
It is rumored that this is the same film that takes place in the same universe as Moana, with music being written by Lin-Manuel Miranda

brb1006

We currently don't know what gender the main character will be.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To be set in Colombia. (Video will jump to it.)

NateD1226

Original Poster
7 new character descriptions with a possible announcement at Investor Day tomorrow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom