The World Showcase: How many of the countries have you been to? Which is the most authentic, least authentic.

Robbiem

for me the real difference is between the ‘replitecture’ pavilions where they recreate a known location - Italy’s Venice or France’s Paris are good examples where you know where you are supposed to be and the more ‘evocitecture’ pavilions where the feeling of a country is recreated - Japan reminds me of places I’ve visited on my travels Kyoto, Miyajima, Himeji, Nara but doesn’t evoke any one place. Similarly UK, Canada or Germany evoke a general feeling without a definitive sense of place.

What I’ve always wondered is if some pavilions are meant to be in the past or are they contemporary versions of the countries they represent?

Heppenheimer

I've been to Norway, Germany (lived there for awhile), Italy, France, the UK and Canada (more or less unofficially lived there for a year).

I can't really say any of them are particularly "authentic", whatever that really means, but how can you really distill an entire country into a small pavillion?

Some random comments:

-I love Norway, but the country's food culture doesn't have particularly high standards, especially compared to their neighbors in Sweden and Denmark. I actually think the food at Epcot's Norway is substantially better than what you might find at a random restaurant in the real country.

-The building facades of Epcot's Germany seem to be based solely on the Franconia region of northern Bavaria. Not a bad choice, but hardly representative of the entire country. I like that they do include the coat of arms of all 16 states, though.

The Karamel Kuche is an odd choice, and probably only exists due to a marketing deal with Werther's. Caramel is probably no more common or popular in Germany than anywhere else. Something more typically German would have been a Gummi shop or a cafe bakery.

Germany's unique wine culture is far less well known than its beer-associated stereotype, so I'm impressed that Epcot built a little alcove to sample some of the country's wines.

Germans don't typically wear team-branded athletic gear nearly as casually as Americans, but I still think it's cool that Epcot sells Bundesliga gear. Kind of goes against the obvious Lederhosen and Dirndl stereotype.

The Biergarten restaurant is a decent facsimile of the experience at an actual southern Bavarian Biergraten or Bierstubbe, although the food at the real places tends to feature more roasted meats.

-The food at the Italian pavillion is almost entirely Italian-American and bears very little resemblance to modern Italian cuisine.

-I've eaten at Chefs du France twice and found the food inconsistent... which has actually been my experience eating in France, as well. You can get some amazing meals in France, but despite the country's vaunted reputation, the quality amongst restaurants varies greatly.

Les Halles is a pretty good approximation of a patisserie, though.

Impressions du France, although slightly outdated, is a fantastic and beautiful overview of the country. This film.was made by people who really know and love France.

-I haven't visited the UK in over 20 years, so I'll hold my comments on Epcot's version.

-Epcot's Canada has no Tim Hortons. Enough said.

Quite an interesting topic. I look forward to reading other well-traveled peoples' impressions.

Last edited:

Minnie Mum

I've been fortunate to have visited every country represented in Epcot except Norway. None of them are particularly authentic except, perhaps, Morocco. Norway fails miserably since it's descent into all things Frozen. I think Marnie was overly generous in calling them an idealistic version. I think a stereotypical, cartoonish version is more apt. But that is not to say that they aren't enjoyable for what they are, or that there aren't elements within each which are representative of one small area or aspect of that country.

Mickey Pride

Other than living in the United States and I do feel the area in Epcot is pretty patriotic there. The show is nice and shares a nice picture of America. The Voices of Liberty are a very nice touch. I have also visited Canada, but that is a very limited visit to Toronto, Ontario and Niagara Falls. From that I don't think the area represents much or at least that area of Canada. It may represent Western Canada, but I have never visited there.

TrainsOfDisney

I’ve traveled across Canada and feel like the Canadian Pavilion represents it well. The Rockies, the architecture, the gardens, and the totem poles are all recognizable to me.

Even the little shops feel a bit like Jasper to me.

I wish the boat rides in Germany, Italy and the UK would have been built.

Mickey Pride

If you're from BC. Then yeah, sure. Quebec and parts of Ontario would disagree with that assessment though. It doesn't even have a Tim Horton's for crying out loud.
I agree with this. I have only been to Ontario and I don’t feel that from what I saw there in the likes of the CN Tower and other more modernized looking things was a good whole representation of what Canada is. Maybe out west it is more log cabins and rodeos and stuff like that, but that is only a part of it.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I agree with this. I have only been to Ontario and I don’t feel that from what I saw there in the likes of the CN Tower and other more modernized looking things was a good whole representation of what Canada is. Maybe out west it is more log cabins and rodeos and stuff like that, but that is only a part of it.

EPCOT's Canada is all about the "'eh". Doesn't have the "Oui"

Marc Davis Fan

As Martin already mentioned, the pavilions are romanticized depictions that only recreate some influential styles of architecture from each nation.

That said, I've been to relevant parts of:
  • Mexico
  • Germany
  • Japan
  • Morocco
  • France
  • UK
  • Canada
And honestly, each of those pavilions does an excellent job replicating various architectural styles (with the exception of the pyramid in Mexico, although it used to look better; the Mayan pyramid in DisneySea, however, is spot-on). When I visited certain places in the real Japan and Morocco, I actually remember thinking "wow, World Showcase does a great job!"

JIMINYCR

It doesnt matter to me that a pavilion isnt truly accurate in how its portraying a country. The purpose was never for Disney to be exacting in how they are set up due to space limitations and time periods. Thats the purpose of including the CM's operating their countries shops. They are there to answer questions and give a more reliable picture of where they are from. So many guests lose out on interacting with the CM's by rushing through and moving on to the next one. Disney isnt a travel agent hoping to sell the country, just have some fun with it.

Been to Mexico, France, Canada, Italy, Germany and England. Of those I think Germany was the closest. The Biergarten reminded me of Octoberfest. While Italy was not bad it still reminded me of southern Italy. England reminded of me of out int the rural areas. Canada shows the Rockies area and France was defintely Paris. Mexico was never like what the show at least to me.

dewardevi

Been to eight of the 11; lived in Italy for some years. Norway used to be interesting but was pretty much canceled by Frozen. I enjoy practicing my Italian and French language skills with the international cast members. Italy dining has gotten much better and more authentic in the last few years. Monsieur Paul can produce excellent French haute cuisine, especially for special events. Same for upstairs dining in Japan, not counting teppanyaki. England, Germany, Canada, pretty much synthetic copies of tourist experiences. Scheduled to visit (actual) Morocco in January, so we’ll see.

KimAnnFran

I've been to all of the EPCOT countries in EPCOT, and only 2 in real life.

Everyone, I am sure, has their opinion on this, but there are two things:
my FAVORITE is American Adventure, hands down. I love that stage show and the Voices of Liberty.
the one that is most authentic, IMHO, is Morocco.
I am sure others don't think so, but I just feel like I am there.

Parker in NYC

They're a great representation of NYC cuisine. Save for Canadian, which you'll find upstate. Upstate upstate, that is. And the representation in that case is... not great. Come to think of it, the cuisine is better in NYC. So disregard all of the above.

Animaniac93-98

The hotel is based on one in Ottawa ON, and the buildings across from it are inspired by Halifax, NS. So there is some representation of Canada East of Alberta, but they were obviously trying to capture the feel of this:

1594253931250.png

Which, you can't really do with a postage stamp of land like in Epcot.

bdearl41

Original Poster
Been to Mexico, France, Canada, Italy, Germany and England. Of those I think Germany was the closest. The Biergarten reminded me of Octoberfest. While Italy was not bad it still reminded me of southern Italy. England reminded of me of out int the rural areas. Canada shows the Rockies area and France was defintely Paris. Mexico was never like what the show at least to me.
Interesting you say southern Italy as the pavilion is based on Venice up in the north. I think Italy is one of the largest disappointments in the showcase.

TraderSam

Canada is nothing like what I've experienced, but I've only been to main cities outside of a quick stop on Prince Rupert Island, so I have no comparison.

The streets in the UK remind me of the London neighborhood where I stayed. These were the older pockets of London that were quiet compared to the busier spots. The pub is a stereotypical pub on the inside. I've never made it to the seating area inside Rose & Crown, but it's pretty basic compared to the pubs we had on our streets.

I find the environment in France to be pretty decent. The main brasserie reminds me of one you might find. The small ice cream shop actually reminds me of a shop in Strasbourg. The shops are somewhat typical I suppose, but they also remind me of Strasbourg in some ways.

My wife says that the bazaar in Morocco reminds her of some others she's been to in that region.

The German pavilion is to Germany what The American Adventure is to the USA. It almost picks the romanticized historic pieces and smashes them all together.

Mexico is pure Disney. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom