Disney Customer Service Giving me the Run Around

TheX8

Thanks for the information, and any trigger words you would recommend adding that would mess this system up and require an actual human to look at the email?

Your email should go like this:

"To Whom It May Concern:

I have some questions about my trip.

Please get back to me at your earliest convenience.

Thanks!

Your name."

It should be vague enough to warrant a human response. Also another tip is that when ever they reply to you there should be a line at the very top of the body of email. Put your reply if you need to over that line so It can pop up again on their inbox.

MickeyCB

Your email should go like this:

"To Whom It May Concern:

I have some questions about my trip.

Please get back to me at your earliest convenience.

Thanks!

Your name."

It should be vague enough to warrant a human response. Also another tip is that when ever they reply to you there should be a line at the very top of the body of email. Put your reply if you need to over that line so It can pop up again on their inbox.
Thanks!

Shouldigo12

I sent an email on June 25 about Jambo possibly being closed during my stay (July 10-15) and not receiving the "are you coming" confirmation email. I just got back a response today and they didn't even refer to my concern. They just told me what I already know--that I also have a reservation for Poly for July 15-24 (I did receive an "are you coming" email for this reservation) and how to view it on MDE. o_O 🤔 Real helpful...NOT! 🤬 I sent them a response reiterating what I was asking in the original email (I cut and pasted it into the response) and will probably get a canned and/or irrelevant response from them when I am already there. 😬 So, I completely get OP's annoyance and frustration.
Oof. I also haven't had good experiences with their customer service outside the parks ( on property is very good). I feel for everyone trying to figure out what's going on right now.

Underh1llRN

Original Poster
Hi, as a person who has had experience in customer service I can shed light as to what's going and why you are likely receiving canned responses.

Disney is using a CRM (customer relationship management) software called Zendesk. Zendesk is used to handle all incoming emails from customers. It's could be effective if used right to provide answers and help streamline the response system on the agent's end.

What Zendesk does is screens the emails and groups them through keywords. Now there is a function called "triggers" these are automatic responses based on keywords found through emails. It's actually possible for Disney to answer your email without even having an agent look at it.

With Zendesk you can actually answer as much emails at once using a "macro." A "macro" is a scripted answers based on experience or what Disney has prepared for any type of questions related to keywords. There could be one agent who's sole job is to answer emails regarding a single topic that could include: cancelations, AP questions, reservations, etc. What the agent would do is select all those emails and apply the "macro."

What's happening is that they are looking to clear as many emails from their inbox. If you feel that the email hasn't been responded to appropriately the likely case is that they haven't actually read your email.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions let me know.
This is super helpful, at least in painting a broader picture behind how these systems work. I really appreciate the constructive reply

BASS

You must not have read my post clearly because I wrote that the CS reps couldn't answer my questions, give me clear answers as to what my options were and how much I would be able to get back. When I asked to cancel, the CS rep told me that they could put in a request to cancel but that it might not be approved. When I asked whether I could try to cancel and if my cancellation request was denied, could I request a partial refund instead, the CS rep said that they had no idea. When I asked what the partial refund would look like, they told me that they did not know how much would be refunded because the parks weren't open yet. I understood that part, but what I wanted to have was the basic formula for the "partial refund." For instance, would they prorate by days or months? ie Total cost of AP divided by 12 months and then I get back a refund for the number of months WDW is closed, or if a "partial refund" was left to be so vague that WDW would only give back $5.00 (I know extreme, but legally, that can be considered a "partial refund").

I don't think that's unreasonable. I went from one CS rep to another with no clear answers. That's why I'm frustrated.

Also, to your original reply to my post: I am a RN, hence, my username. I work in a major hospital in my state's capital city. I care for people who are dying all the time, give compassionate care to family members and experience first hand trauma this virus has caused. "If the worst you experience from this is some decline in what you anticipated you'd get out of the AP, consider yourself lucky." I wish my experience with Disney CS reps was the worst thing I will have experienced during this season of life. I only expect some competence from CS reps when I have worked super hard and saved intentionally to buy AP for 1 year. I would have LOVED (like many other WDW fans) to have been able to escape the trauma and sadness related to my job a few times a year and go to WDW. I realize that Covid is out of their control and am not comparing my non-refunded amount to people that have had far more extreme losses related to Covid19. I don't think I expect much, just effective communication from Disney.
Thank you for your service.

TheX8

This is super helpful, at least in painting a broader picture behind how these systems work. I really appreciate the constructive reply

Anytime, I have more sympathy towards customer service representatives unless I feel that their efforts are half-assed. I can definitely speculate that due to this pandemic the customer service agents at Disney are receiving thousands of emails daily and are only aiming to clear their inboxes rather than giving each customer their individual care. Thats why CRMs like Zendesk exists, only to help the agent clear emails (they are actually called tickets in Zendesk) as fast as possible.

Fun fact: Disney can actually look up your entire history of emails to the customer service team in just one click. And if you keep replying to their responses you can actually reopen your tickets until you feel satisfied. The more you reply the more you mess their analytics. Also at the end of your email exchanges please request a survey. That can also mess with their satisfaction ratings. I can definitely assure you that the higher-ups are monitoring those analytics.

Miss Bella

Ok RN, how many times over the last month has someone tried to get information from you regarding a patient with the virus and all you can say is ‘I dont know’ or provide them only with information that you have available? I realize that Covid is out of your control but I would expect much more competent service from someone who has been trained in the medical profession.
It's against the law to give out information on a patient. I don't get the comparison.

NelleBelle

It's against the law to give out information on a patient. I don't get the comparison.
Seriously? With all the family/visitor restrictions in place I find it hard to believe that it’s “against the law” to speak to the family over the phone (we did this prior to COVID); when speaking to a family member and they are asking you about the virus, do you really have all their answers covered? I certainly didn’t when I was speaking to family members about their loved ones recovery from their loved one’s specific injuries. I think the above poster’s point was that not every CM has all the answers to issues that changing/being updated and that they are just a very small cog in a very large wheel. There are thousands, unfortunately, all trying to contact customer service who are making an already tough situation that much worse.

Ben_since_1971

The assumption is its the patient or family of patient asking questions. The comparison is just as the op doesnt have all the information available to them regarding conditions Disney CS doesnt have all of theirs, especially in these uncertain times. People need to be a heck of a lot more understanding and the op certainly wasnt.

MickeyLuv'r

No, contract law didn't disappear. But contracts work both ways. So, precisely how would you expect Disney to make its parks available during the pandemic so that everyone can feel they made a prudent choice?

But, put that aside. That's a rhetorical question. The fact of the matter is, Disney has handled it appropriately. They refunded payments made after March and have already offered passholders--because I got the email--the right to cancel the remaining contract or receive a refund b/c many have no inclination to head to Disney w/in the next 6-8 months. So, in the end, there's a lot of whining about a situation that's probably been handled as well as possible given the circumstances.

That's not what I was told.
I was told they would only refund for the duration of the closure, not the full remaining of the pass if a refund was requested, BUT the CM wasn't able to actually give me any specific information at all. I was told if someone requests a refund, they will have to wait and see what the amount will be and even how it will be issued, or when it will be issued. The CM was VERY vague.

BASS

That's not what I was told.
I was told they would only refund for the duration of the closure, not the full remaining of the pass if a refund was requested, BUT the CM wasn't able to actually give me any specific information at all. I was told if someone requests a refund, they will have to wait and see what the amount will be and even how it will be issued, or when it will be issued. The CM was VERY vague.

If I have a minute later, I'll try to locate the email. Unless I was mistaken, what I understood from reading it was that Disney would provide passholders the option to terminate the remainder of the contract. They said that a subsequent email would be forthcoming with dates; I assume there will be a deadline as to when you either terminate the remaining contract/payments or elect to get back on the plan.

For those not on the payment plan, I believe there was some discussion about Disney refunding a portion of the pass. I'm on the monthly plan so I didn't focus on that portion too closely.

MickeyLuv'r

I have the email. It says, "A partial refund for the theme park closure period," and it was sent back in April.

The follow up emails don't mention a refund option at all.

Disney has been very vague on details and information. CM could not give me any kind of specifics about what the refund would be, or when it would arrive, or how it would be issued (maybe a check, maybe a gift card, maybe some other type of credit).

Simply the CM's response was just about as vague as it could possibly be. Period.

Underh1llRN

Original Poster
The assumption is its the patient or family of patient asking questions. The comparison is just as the op doesnt have all the information available to them regarding conditions Disney CS doesnt have all of theirs, especially in these uncertain times. People need to be a heck of a lot more understanding and the op certainly wasnt.
Its all about customer service. I understand that a person will not always have all the information. However, that is why you are trained (as I have been as a professional and a nurse) to give the most accurate information I can and then when I don't have an answer, be able to provide more resources of information. If I can't answer a clinically related question, I don't just push off the question, make something up, get defensive with the patient or family member or divert the question in another direction where I know there won't be an answer for the questioner. I explain why there isn't an answer and then do my best to help find the best possible answer to the question.

I am understanding. I think you would have at least thought so if you had read my original post with an open mind as opposed to reading only what you wanted to in order to attack. The CS agent definitely had an attitude, made uncaring statements and was vague with their answers. They also sent me in several directions, diverting having to be empathetic and give at least a simple solution to the problem. I spoke to 5 different people who continually sent me to "a person who can answer my questions" and at least twice, was sent back to a person who I had already talked to.

BASS

I have the email. It says, "A partial refund for the theme park closure period," and it was sent back in April.

The follow up emails don't mention a refund option at all.

Disney has been very vague on details. Period.

No, no, no . . . this was within the last couple weeks. Alright, let me find it!

BASS

Well, I couldn't find the damn email, but I found the same info on Disney's site: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/annual-passes/.

If you are an Annual Passholder that has paid in full, your options include:

• You will receive a one month extension to your pass (unless you choose one of the alternative options below). This additional month will automatically be processed and visible in your My Disney Experience account in October 2020.
  • Alternatively, and in lieu of the one month extension, Passholders who have paid in full may choose to cancel their annual pass and receive a partial refund.
If you are an Annual Passholder on the monthly payment plan, your options include:

• You will receive an additional one month extension to your pass (unless you choose the alternative option below). This additional month will automatically be processed and visible in your My Disney Experience account in October 2020. Please note that monthly payments are scheduled to resume with park opening on July 11, 2020.
  • Alternatively, and in lieu of the additional month extension, Passholders on the monthly payment plan may choose to cancel their annual pass and waive their monthly payments due after August 11, 2020. Any payments made between July 11, 2020 and August 11, 2020 will be retroactively refunded for those that select this option and all future payments would be stopped.
We will send information in early July with details on how to take action on these options.

MickeyLuv'r

Follow up emails I have received are even more vague. They mostly say we value our passholders, but you'll need to go to the website for details about making reservations, details about passes, etc.

The only sorta specific they gave me was that they'd be holding a passholder preview day, and that they'd be sending another email with more details.

The most recent one just says, thanks for being a passholder. It doesn't have any specifics about the preview day at all.

The most recent 2 emails are devoid of specifics.

MickeyLuv'r

My Disney webpage also says this," As an alternative, and in lieu of an extension of their passes, Passholders who have paid in full may choose to receive a partial refund for the park closure period. To request this alternative option, we ask that you contact V.I.PASSHOLDER Support at (407) 939-7277. We do anticipate heavy call volume and appreciate your patience as we answer all inquiries. "

It is below the part you quoted.

BASS

@MickeyLuv'r I'm not sure it gets any clearer than this:

• Alternatively, and in lieu of the one month extension, Passholders who have paid in full may choose to cancel their annual pass and receive a partial refund.
If you are an Annual Passholder on the monthly payment plan, your options include:

• Alternatively, and in lieu of the additional month extension, Passholders on the monthly payment plan may choose to cancel their annual pass and waive their monthly payments due after August 11, 2020. Any payments made between July 11, 2020 and August 11, 2020 will be retroactively refunded for those that select this option and all future payments would be stopped.

Shouldigo12

Well, I couldn't find the damn email, but I found the same info on Disney's site: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/annual-passes/.

• You will receive a one month extension to your pass (unless you choose one of the alternative options below). This additional month will automatically be processed and visible in your My Disney Experience account in October 2020.

• You will receive an additional one month extension to your pass (unless you choose the alternative option below). This additional month will automatically be processed and visible in your My Disney Experience account in October 2020. Please note that monthly payments are scheduled to resume with park opening on July 11, 2020.
We will send information in early July with details on how to take action on these options.
Just the one month?:bored: The park was closed for a good bit longer than that.

Hcalvert

Just the one month?:bored: The park was closed for a good bit longer than that.
I read it as new passes or renewals activated after the parks open will receive the extra month. I could be wrong. When I called, I was told that I would get a partial refund from the March closure date until my pass expires (July 8). I was not given a specific amount.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom