Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animaniac93-98

At this point we have to assume they have passed a point of no return and new case numbers are irrelevant. It’s blinders on and full speed ahead with fingers crossed.

At this point they can still say no.

They want the money. Whatever they can get, even if they operate at a loss if people chose not to go.

Safety is not their #1 priority. Let's not keep pretending it is just because they put out a 1 min YouTube video.

DisneyDebRob

I could be worse...at least we aren’t rabbits 🐰
Read a gif yesterday that said you made it to July. Welcome the the 7th level of jumanji. 🙂
Fun year so far.

Yodascousin

Are deaths beginning to rise or spike in Florida yet? I don’t see anything changing unless they do. rightly or wrongly that is the metric people in charge are probably basing their decisions on. If deaths don’t rise Or spike but instead stay stable or decrease In the next few weeks would anyone’s opinion of the virus or wdw opening change?

carolina_yankee

Marni or WDW Magic posted yesterday that Disney is very confident in their safety protocols. I can see that being a basis to maintain opening plans. The COVID explosion isn’t because people are following guidance, it’s because people (and states) aren’t following guidance. I suspect the only metric that would change their minds at this point would be hospitalizations becoming dangerous or deaths increasing.

As shocking as the positivity and daily positives are, the other numbers are still low or manageable and not projected to increase to unmanageable levels in the next 30 days according to COVID Act Now.

I don’t know where that line is between shutting down vs. doubling down on safety protocols, but I do have confidence that the more we learn about this virus, the more that the danger is mostly confined to prolonged exposure in close quarters without masks or distancing. If Disney can control, it’s worth giving it a shot given that not opening also creates havoc of a different kind that will also eventually affect public health.

If they can’t manage that, then quite frankly, nobody can.

peter11435

Are deaths beginning to rise or spike in Florida yet? I don’t see anything changing unless they do. rightly or wrongly that is the metric people in charge are probably basing their decisions on. If deaths don’t rise Or spike but instead stay stable or decrease In the next few weeks would anyone’s opinion of the virus or wdw opening change?
Any increase in deaths will come 2-3 weeks after increases in overall cases. That said there are some indications that deaths are starting to trend upward

DisneyDebRob

They are going up, highest number since May 8 this Tampa article says. Not dramatically increasing as of yet but increasing. Let’s hope it stops.

carolina_yankee

Any increase in deaths will come 2-3 weeks after increases in overall cases. That said there are some indications that deaths are starting to trend upward

This is the figure that really intrigues me. They are trending upward, but are still nowhere near where they were. Nationally, about 1/3 to 1/5 when our reported cases were lower.

I’m also intrigued about why our death figures and hospitalization figures in NJ remain high compared to our positivity and spread rates. We’re still in the top five in the country per 100,000 in deaths and hospitalizations, while in the bottom ranks for spread and positivity.

Yodascousin

Thanks. Only as it seems that it’s been around 2 weeks since cases started to surge or maybe it’s just felt that long! I’ve been seeing that experts believe that after an initial boom of cases and deaths the virus burns itself out/becomes weaker and that’s what has happened in uk, Europe, China and New York and when further outbreaks occur they are nowhere near as deadly as the majority are asymptomatic, was hoping that even though Florida is seeing a worrying surge that the cases were not as serious as before and pointed to the virus possibly becoming weaker.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thanks. Only as it seems that it’s been around 2 weeks since cases started to surge or maybe it’s just felt that long! I’ve been seeing that experts believe that after an initial boom of cases and deaths the virus burns itself out/becomes weaker and that’s what has happened in uk, Europe, China and New York and when further outbreaks occur they are nowhere near as deadly as the majority are asymptomatic, was hoping that even though Florida is seeing a worrying surge that the cases were not as serious as before and pointed to the virus possibly becoming weaker.
From the chart posted above looks like 6/25 was where the big spike started. Outside of the weekend dip it’s been above 8K cases daily pretty consistently since then. We are probably still 5 days or so away from being 2 weeks in and probably mid-July when WDW is fully open to be certain.

DisneyYorkian74

At this point they can still say no.

They want the money. Whatever they can get, even if they operate at a loss if people chose not to go.

Safety is not their #1 priority. Let's not keep pretending it is just because they put out a 1 min YouTube video.

Disney’s and any other company that ‘decided’ to close ‘out of an abundance of caution’ back in March hypocrisy is on full display.

All of the credible DRs and Scientists have continued to say that this virus is just as contagious as it was back in March... but Universal, Sea World, and Legoland go ahead and re-open as quickly as possible, under the guise that they’re doing so ‘as safely as possible.’

Florida’s numbers speak for themself... Something is seriously wrong! There is no way the NBA and WDW should be plowing ahead with the re-opening plans!

And there’s still absolutely no leadership from the government in how this will be contained and mitigated!

Mind boggling!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Switching gears for a minute, does anyone know how the FL bar alcohol ban will impact WDW parks and resorts? I assume at a minimum any lounges at the resorts are closed (as long as they don’t make 50% or more from food sales) but restaurants that serve alcohol are still OK. What about drink carts or drink windows in the parks? Since you are buying a drink to walk around with does that count as a “to-go“ sale or do they have to close too? Pool bars? I assume they are out too or do they sell enough food to meet the loop hole?

oceanbreeze77

Switching gears for a minute, does anyone know how the FL bar alcohol ban will impact WDW parks and resorts? I assume at a minimum any lounges at the resorts are closed (as long as they don’t make 50% or more from food sales) but restaurants that serve alcohol are still OK. What about drink carts or drink windows in the parks? Since you are buying a drink to walk around with does that count as a “to-go“ sale or do they have to close too?
I know the ones at Springs closed, so I imagine its the same for the parks.

Lilofan

Switching gears for a minute, does anyone know how the FL bar alcohol ban will impact WDW parks and resorts? I assume at a minimum any lounges at the resorts are closed (as long as they don’t make 50% or more from food sales) but restaurants that serve alcohol are still OK. What about drink carts or drink windows in the parks? Since you are buying a drink to walk around with does that count as a “to-go“ sale or do they have to close too? Pool bars? I assume they are out too or do they sell enough food to meet the loop hole?
I don't know but I've known some to partake in their own "Happy Hour" in the parking lots prior to entering the park.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't know but I've known some to partake in their own "Happy Hour" in the parking lots prior to entering the park.
I saw a guy get off the monorail at MK once with a red solo cup filled with what I’m assuming was his favorite adult beverage...it didn’t go well for him at security. I did wonder how he got on the monorail in the first place but maybe just slipped in with a crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom