News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

LittleBuford

Contemporary Imagineering is not lacking for dollars. They receive huge sums of money that dwarf the industry and their own prior work.

If they’re so well funded, why do posters here with insider knowledge sometimes criticise the (relatively) low budgets allocated to certain projects? (This isn’t a rhetorical question.)

LittleBuford

To an extent. Though I think it has been a while since Tokyo opened what I would consider a "major" new ride. Recent new rides include a clone of Soarin (which is okay but not amazing) and Toy Story Mania (which I actively dislike). The recent redo of their Peter Pan's Flight is a mixed bag and clumsily done. Though I will say whoever is responsible for the updates Dreamlights receives every few years is fantastic.

B&TB shows promise, but it's not open yet. Safe to assume Frozen will be better than Epcot's (which won't be difficult). Neverland is rumored to be a Soarin-like simulator, which doesn't excite me. Don't know anything about the Tangled boat ride. The scenery of the land looks gorgeous at least, provided they get people who can pull off convincing forced perspective effects (and that it doesn't detract from the existing DisneySea park).

I didn't mean there was literally no one of any sort of talent left at imagineering. I've enjoyed a handful of newer rides including RSR, Mystic Manor and even Navi River (yes I like its dense physical scenery, I'm aware of its other shortcomings). The single interior 7DMT scene is also excellent.

But even then, I still vastly prefer the original POTC, Splash Mtn, the old (long gone) Future World E tickets, Great Movie Ride, Sinbad at Tokyo etc. I have my doubts that modern imagineers could create a ride like any of these in terms of length, physical scenery, animatronics population etc etc. Even if they were allowed to and given a decent budget.

Thank you for your answer. I don’t fully agree, but I appreciate your thoughts.

lazyboy97o

If they’re so well funded, why do posters here with insider knowledge sometimes criticise the (relatively) low budgets allocated to certain projects? (This isn’t a rhetorical question.)
They really don’t anymore. It’s now more about how much money is being spent for so little.

Disney4family

We just watched a video of the "new" castle.

My daughter said, "It looks like it has a cake face."

What's a cake face? It's when one slathers on too much foundation and concealer, the result being a pancake, mask-like makeup.

Or according to the urban dictionary -
One who wears too much makeup and it looks like you could scrape it off
1. "ew she's a cakeface"
2. "i'm trying to tell you in a nice way that you wear too much foundation..makes you look clownish and i think you are too pretty for that"

Bocabear

Desert Mauve and Purple-Blue just SCREAM 50th to me... I will stand by my assertion that it looks like it has a sunburn... And that hyper saturated roof color is just plain garish... This whole thing is... and it doesn't evoke celebration or happiness...It looks like a bad Mediterranean McMansion for the Golden Girls... This is one time I will say it is just in poor taste. The decor we had for Disneyland's 50th was better with the gilded metalwork overlaying the turret towers and golden figurines... At least it looked appropriate.

tirian

Desert Mauve and Purple-Blue just SCREAM 50th to me... I will stand by my assertion that it looks like it has a sunburn... And that hyper saturated roof color is just plain garish... This whole thing is... and it doesn't evoke celebration or happiness...It looks like a bad Mediterranean McMansion for the Golden Girls... This is one time I will say it is just in poor taste. The decor we had for Disneyland's 50th was better with the gilded metalwork overlaying the turret towers and golden figurines... At least it looked appropriate.
It was also art directed by the same person, a fact which blows my mind. I’m starting to wonder if this was a decision passed down from executive marketing to make sure all the castles had similar color schemes to match a generic DisneyPark style. I hope not, and I can’t get a straight answer from anyone whether that happened.

tirian

Contemporary Imagineering is not lacking for dollars. They receive huge sums of money that dwarf the industry and their own prior work.
Contemporary Imagineering is hired to fill business needs and HR quotas, not based on actual talent. They also recruit out of specific schools and programs for specific talent sets. Well-rounded backgrounds don’t fit in with the newer WDI culture. This has been a well-known issue for over a decade. I’ve discussed this with many creative directors who no longer consider Disney the best at much of anything; marketing and business needs keep derailing good ideas. :(

Edit: Most of the best talent jumped ship to Universal, but Uni has the opposite problem. An attraction’s budget is rarely large enough for everything to be done to traditional Disney standards, and Uni Creative has to make awkward cuts like Hagrid’s giant scorpion with a pole up its...ahem...

Last edited:

Giss Neric

Has anyone considered they made it bright colors because they know they’ll fade in the Florida sun? Maybe it’ll look better in a year? 🤣
You ain't wrong about that and it's definitely a valid reason. Since the 50th Anniversary is next year, the Florida sun can work wonders fading those paints just in time.

MagicWDI

The blue is rubbing me the wrong way when comparing it to the concept art. I like the concept art a lot. The dark blue looks nice in the concept. But what looks a "purple" has showed up on the actual Castle. The pink is much darker than I was expecting, too. But I have to say it is very photogenic. Maybe because it's so shiny and golden, and I feel a lot of people will be snapping up all the photos in front of the Castle much more than before. It looks like a new car.

What I would have preferred over the pink would have been a white or light grey with a heavy sparkle, and with the same gold trim. However, not sure the sparkle would do so well with the projection mapping.

All that being said, I like the change in general. It's like changing my computer's wallpaper every now and then. It's a bit bold but I don't think it's as bad as everyone says it is, except for that purple-blue.

Giss Neric

July 9th is so near yet so far. Open Disney World now before they close everything again.

Looking forward to seeing the castle in the perspective of very critical annual passholders and vloggers.

N2dru

Anyone think Disney will market a Rose Gold castle toy similar to how the Diamond anniversary castle for DL? The recent redesign and current toy/model of Cinderella Castle is not very accurate. Plus DL castle toys has always been true to the actual building in contrast to our version. Ijs..anyone else notice?

SpectroMan93

They held a special flag retreat on the evening of July 2nd at the Magic Kingdom, where they took this picture:

jeff-vahle-magic-kingdom-flag-retreat-walt-disney-world-fourth-of-july-3.jpg

The Rocketeer

In the last few photos I've seen it has looked way less jarring to me. I still wish the blue was darker, though this bright color could work with the normal shade of the castle. It's growing on me, I'll say that at least.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom