NuOrbis Brainstorming Thread - Project Six: Blue Skies, E Tickets

AceAstro

We have seven days to work on this project. I suggest spending three to develop a theme and concept, three to execute the plan, and last day for complaining everything to a cool presentation.

1. Brainstorming
2. Brainstorming
3. Vote on Brainstorming
4. Break Up and Work
5. Break Up and Work
6. Break Up and Work — Due Date
7. Presentation Day

Thoughts?
That looks like a solid plan to me!

Outbound

I mean, it would be a really funny project to make...

Would spinning dark ride tech work? I think that’d give the impression of dancing. The ride would just be a series of stepieces with the Cats singing.

AceAstro

As the biggest CATS fan in the world, CATS is easy. You do a suspended ride (coaster or dark) to simulate going to the Heaviside layer.

She leaves on a hot air balloon
1593450324640.png

Can do a suspended ride to travel to the heaviside layer while meeting the characters along the way and escaping Macavity (the bad guy cat)

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
So if we do go the IP route, let’s try thinking really outside the box. I’ll start.
  • Blade Runner
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  • Kill Bill
  • Into the Spiderverse
  • Inception
  • Red Dead Redemption 1 or 2
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Minecraft
Ooh, I admit I'm intrigued by this idea, especially now with Disney trying to give Universal's Spider-Man ride a run for its money. I know someone did a "What If" scenario in Round 3 (the team that did the dueling Tom and Jerry ride for Disney-MGM Studios), so my semi-pitch is: "What if in an act of goodwill to Sony Pictures over the Spider-Man bruhaha, WDI decided to scrap the Web Slingers ride and replaced it with a ride/crossover adaptation of Into the Spider-Verse and Marvel's Spider-Man?" With that, we can still have Miles, Peter B. Parker, and the other Spider-Man iterations, but also have Peter Parker (as played by Tom Holland) in the ride.

As the biggest CATS fan in the world, CATS is easy. You do a suspended ride (coaster or dark) to simulate going to the Heaviside layer.

She leaves on a hot air balloon
View attachment 480347

Can do a suspended ride to travel to the heaviside layer while meeting the characters along the way and escaping Macavity (the bad guy cat)
source.gif

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

So some ideas:
-Jedi Temple Batuu/Force Ghosts using the Spiderman (Universal) ride system
-Beetlejuice (lot of fun visuals we could use)
-Metroid
-Adam West Batman death trap ride (in Dubai!)
-Resident Evil
-New Twilight Zone ride, but FOCUS on the aliens!
-Outrun (we could reuse some of our ideas with the 50's car ride if we use this idea).

Sharon&Susan

With 1917 I think an interesting approach to recreate the one shot story telling would be to have 360 degrees sets, with a ride vehicle similar to BLAB that can be turned in any direction
Any of the Universal Classic Monsters
Maybe to make it stand out from the ride coming to Epic Universe, we could do a more comedy centric approach similar to the Albott and Costello meets series?
The Muppets
I'll throw this out: a Gonzo daredevil rollercoaster.

Sharon&Susan

Re: Monsters Inc.

Since I can see there being plenty votes for this just because of how good the movie is, I really want to see an unique idea for this before we go forward with voting considering this IP's been used a lot. The Door Coaster has been constantly rumored for WDW, audio animatronic heavy dark ride has already been done at Tokyo, book report (even if it's not an E) at DCA, etc.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Here are some of my suggestions:

NON-IP BASED ATTRACTIONS
  • Around the World in Eighty Days (Jules Verne) - Basically Soarin' on steroids. Could probably use the same tracked Kuka arm ride technology from Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
  • The Time Machine (H.G. Wells)
IP-BASED ATTRACTIONS
  • Indiana Jones?
  • A new take on Avatar: Flight of Passage, but utilizing the ride technologies from Tron: Lightcycle Power Run (ride vehicle design) and Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind (spinning storytelling coaster and projection domes)
  • I'm not sure if the next two can be considered since I've kinda worked on it before on my own and I know @mickeyfan5534 and @TheOriginalTiki saw that project because they mentioned it in the first podcast. These are some ideas I had for a small armchair Imagineering project for New Fantasyland in Disneyland Paris (I'm pretty sure they're next since Tokyo had theirs already, but we'll see how WDSP 2.0 performs first).
    • Pooh's River Run - Basically Splash Mountain, but make it Hundred Acre Woods. The ride vehicles could be Hunny pots that utilize a smaller version of the ride system used in Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure in Shanghai Disneyland. It could basically allow it to bob up and down (like a normal pot would) and spin to whatever part of the show scene we want guests to focus on.
    • Journey of the Little Mermaid - It's the same ride that Tony Baxter and co. developed for the second phase of Fantasyland in Paris, but obviously expanded to utilize a multi-elemental ride system. Initially, you start off as a water ride in the first "world above" scene, but as soon as you plunge down the drop, it suddenly turns into an aerial ride a la Peter Pan's Flight. It then goes back to a water ride once you go back up the surface"
  • Just because I was watching a Yesterworld video on abandoned Epcot concepts, a Godzilla coaster.

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Just to expand on a few of my ideas:
Trials of the Jedi: Explore an abandoned Jedi Temple on Batuu and the swamps that lie behind it. Would include a few Jedi Ghosts encounters. Would use a similar ride system to the Universal Spiderman ride system.
Metroid: Drop tower, but similar to WDW's TOT can transition to horizontal movement. Starts off in Brinstar and ends with Mother Brain with famous boss characters like Kraid and Ridley.
Batman '66: Either using the pendulum or robotic arm ride system. Uh oh, you get trapped by the Penguin, Riddler, Joker, and Catwoman during a tour of their front business and are now trapped inside their devilish trap. Batman and Robin and the villains are now battling out causing twists and turns on the death trap.
Outrun: Similar to the 50's ride that I proposed earlier, but a focus on different endings rather than going on the fastest routes.

Outbound

Breaking down my IP suggestions:
  • Blade Runner: A darker spin on the "Ride and Go Seek" concept. You are hunting replicants in 2049 Los Angeles.
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: A lot like the 50s Knotts ride, but this doesn't even bother with a chase sequence. It's literally just sitting in a car with Rick and Cliff sightseeing Los Angeles and the Studios.
  • Kill Bill: Imagine Toy Story Mania but with lots and lots of blood, to the point of comedy.
  • Into the Spiderverse: Simulator with a variety of pathways, each taking you to all sorts of zany dimensions.
  • 1917: My favorite here. A circle vision dark ride of sorts about delivering a message in the middle of a battlefield. It should be very realistic, making you feel like you are actually in the middle of a terrible war.
  • Inception: Another simulator (they are the only ways to make so much craziness realistically happen) this would be a heist with some very unique visuals.
  • Red Dead Redemption 1 or 2: I'm thinking something like Smugglers Run: one person leads the carriage, the other fixes the carriage, and four in the back shoot down lawmen giving chase. The story would be Dutch, John, Arthur, Bill, Javier, and Sadie are working a job that (naturally) goes wrong. But don't worry follow the plan and we'll all soon be eatin' fresh mangoes from Tahiti, so just have faith.
  • Grand Theft Auto: Shooting ride about a complicated bank heist, leading to a full-on police chase. Doesn't take itself seriously.
  • Cyberpunk 2077: The same as GTA, but in a cyberpunk setting, and with less satire.
  • Minecraft: A simple charming coaster / dark ride hybrid that sees you travel amongst the various biomes and dimensions, and meeting various mobs along the way. C418 music playing the entire way through.

Outbound

Hey @Outbound should we start the voting soon or do you think we should brainstorm a bit more before we go forward? Because I'm ready to vote right now if that's alright with you.

Sure! I'm also ready to vote. The reason I've been holding out is that my plan earlier set tomorrow as voting day, but I think there are so many ideas thrown out so far we can vote now.

So here's what we'll do. We vote Top Five. I know it's usually top three, but there's so many ideas running around I want to give every one a chance. Ranking something as your first pick gives it five points, second four, and so on: I will then add them all up once all six of us vote.

THE LIST
NO IP
  • 1950s Car Chase Ride at Knotts Berry Farm
  • Feudal Japan in the place of Splash Mountain at TDL
IP BASED
  • Bambi in the place of Splash Mountain at TDL
  • Fox and the Hound in the place of Splash Mountain at TDL
  • Phineas and Ferb Roller Coaster
  • Gravity Falls retheme of Splash Mountain
  • Blade Runner
  • Kill Bill
  • Into the Spiderverse
  • Inception
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Minecraft with building the project in-game as a presentation
  • Cats as a Joke Project (on a balloon)
  • Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • Any of the Universal Classic Monsters
  • Apollo 13
  • Battleship (terrible movie but could work well for an E-Ticket)
  • The Muppets (never enough Muppets content)
  • Mary Poppins
  • Monsters Inc.
  • Meet The Robinsons
  • Jedi Temple Batuu/Force Ghosts using the Spiderman (Universal) ride system
  • Beetlejuice (lot of fun visuals we could use)
  • Metroid
  • Adam West Batman death trap ride (in Dubai!)
  • Resident Evil
  • New Twilight Zone ride, but FOCUS on the aliens!
  • Outrun (we could reuse some of our ideas with the 50's car ride if we use this idea).
  • Around the World in Eighty Days (Jules Verne) - Basically Soarin' on steroids. Could probably use the same tracked Kuka arm ride technology from Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
  • Indiana Jones?
  • A new take on Avatar: Flight of Passage, but utilizing spinning storytelling coaster and projection domes
  • Pooh's River Run - Basically Splash Mountain, but make it Hundred Acre Woods.
  • Journey of the Little Mermaid - expanded to utilize a multi-elemental ride system.
  • A Godzilla coaster.
  • Kingdom Hearts: could be a great interactive dark ride or a star tours type simulator.
  • The Magnus Archives
  • Atlantis: The movie needs more rep.
As you can see, there's a lot of ideas. I cut out the longer descriptions because I didn't want to get this list overcrowded but if there is any idea here that you really like, above there may be more details to how it would work.

Last edited:

Outbound

Sure! I'm also ready to vote. The reason I've been holding out is that my plan earlier set tomorrow as voting day, but I think there are so many ideas thrown out so far we can vote now.

So here's what we'll do. We vote Top Five. I know it's usually top three, but there's so many ideas running around I want to give every one a chance. Ranking something as your first pick gives it five points, second four, and so on: I will then add them all up once all six of us vote.

THE LIST
NO IP
  • 1950s Car Chase Ride at Knotts Berry Farm
  • Feudal Japan in the place of Splash Mountain at TDL
IP BASED
  • Bambi in the place of Splash Mountain at TDL
  • Fox and the Hound in the place of Splash Mountain at TDL
  • Phineas and Ferb Roller Coaster
  • Gravity Falls retheme of Splash Mountain
  • Blade Runner
  • Kill Bill
  • Into the Spiderverse
  • Inception
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Minecraft with building the project in-game as a presentation
  • Cats as a Joke Project (on a balloon)
  • Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • Any of the Universal Classic Monsters
  • Apollo 13
  • Battleship (terrible movie but could work well for an E-Ticket)
  • The Muppets (never enough Muppets content)
  • Mary Poppins
  • Monsters Inc.
  • Meet The Robinsons
  • Jedi Temple Batuu/Force Ghosts using the Spiderman (Universal) ride system
  • Beetlejuice (lot of fun visuals we could use)
  • Metroid
  • Adam West Batman death trap ride (in Dubai!)
  • Resident Evil
  • New Twilight Zone ride, but FOCUS on the aliens!
  • Outrun (we could reuse some of our ideas with the 50's car ride if we use this idea).
  • Indiana Jones?
  • A new take on Avatar: Flight of Passage, but utilizing spinning storytelling coaster and projection domes
  • Pooh's River Run - Basically Splash Mountain, but make it Hundred Acre Woods.
  • Journey of the Little Mermaid - expanded to utilize a multi-elemental ride system.
  • A Godzilla coaster.
As you can see, there's a lot of ideas. I cut out the longer descriptions because I didn't want to get this list overcrowded but if there is any idea here that you really like, above there may be more details to how it would work.

My Rankings
  1. MINECRAFT: I think this is the opportunity to create another "Game-Changer" project, only this time correct the problems with the golf course project. Ideally, that would involve adding prose to the video and maybe even inviting some of you with a Minecraft account onto a realm so we can ride it together and talk about how we planned it. But besides that, Minecraft is really cool IP that has lots of potential in a dark ride. I'd lean into the calming nostalgic aspect: no story or conflict, just a leisurely stroll around the many environments.
  2. 50s CAR CHASE: I lean more to the non-IPs, and I think this is a great chance to explore an iconic time period that doesn't have any solid theme park experience. The "choose your own path" discussed earlier is also a unique ride system that would earn us creativity points. Last, I think a trip to Knotts Berry Farm instead of the usual DL or Universal would be fun, with the opportunity to create something truly special and not just a "here's an out of the box IP we turned into a ride" kind of thing.
  3. CATS: I'm always down for a joke project! This has the potential to be hilarious.
  4. INTO THE SPIDERVERSE: This is one of my favorite movies and I think it would be awesome in a ride. You would get to explore all sorts of weird dimensions, possibly in a nonlinear format like Star Tours.
  5. BLADE RUNNER: I promised in the first project I'd support a Blade Runner project if it the opportunity presented itself, so here we are -- I think Blade Runner has a great aesthetic that would translate really cool in a theme park.

pix

Also throwing out some of my pitches.

Kingdom Hearts: So many good worlds to experience, could be a great interactive dark ride or a star tours type simulator.

The Magnus Archives: I do realize that I am probably the only one who knows this podcast among us but like. I figured I would throw it out anyways.

Atlantis: I love that movie and it needs more rep.

Gravity Falls: spoooooky.

Outbound

Also throwing out some of my pitches.

Kingdom Hearts: So many good worlds to experience, could be a great interactive dark ride or a star tours type simulator.

The Magnus Archives: I do realize that I am probably the only one who knows this podcast among us but like. I figured I would throw it out anyways.

Atlantis: I love that movie and it needs more rep.

Gravity Falls: spoooooky.

Adding these to the list!

Sharon&Susan

1. 50's Car Chase: x2 everything Outbound said. Plus we don't need to come out with a super elaborate story: have it be a simple "get to your destination using the fastest route and avoid the greasers."
2. 1917: This has tons of potential to do something unique. It's not the usual type of IP you see at Disney or Universal and 360 degrees sets would really work well to bring the one cut nature of the movie to life.
3. Pooh's River Run: With how formulaic most of the Pooh rides are, I think doing something like this could really make us stand out from the rest. I would recommend we try to avoid using the same Pooh stories that are in the other versions.
4. Adam West Batman Death Trap: Think it could be very fun and campy and having a very different tone from most other Batman media. Also I think it'd be fun to armchair a ride in one of those Dubai parks.
5. Muppets: Hardest thing with the Muppets is figuring out the setting, but I do really like something like a Gonzo coaster or some type of Muppet Labs thrill rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom