Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm honestly frustrated because I'm going crazy in lockdown and now it looks like we are going to lockdown again and be under restrictions for longer than we had to be.
We’re not going back into lockdown. There is going to be a pull back in the re-opening in some places but it’s very limited for now. Obvious things that could be problems are being reconsidered. That’s a far cry from the full stay at home orders.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
We’re not going back into lockdown. There is going to be a pull back in the re-opening in some places but it’s very limited for now. Obvious things that could be problems are being reconsidered. That’s a far cry from the full stay at home orders.

Shhh, don't let them hear you. Those delays are a slippery slope and soon we'll all be in lockdown again.

And they say I'm the fearful one?

legwand77

FYI in the hotspot of Miami Dade , where they decided to close beaches, the hospital capacity has dramatically improved, ICU capicity has improved to close to 50% and general bed to 30% , much more than normal. Also hospitalization after a positive test on average is 5-8 days, hmmmm. but some want to wait 4 weeks because Iran. Guess we need to complain about grammar. I remember some on here set off alarms that one hospital had 0% ICU capacity for one night and thought the world was ending.

Chip Chipperson

So Cuomo is going all in on this travel ban thing. He’s now revoking the state paid sick leave benefit for anyone who travels to one of the banned states. In other words if you are from NY and you visit FL and come back and get sick they won’t pay out the recently passed paid sick leave while you quarantine. The exception is travel required for work. That’s not good news for the tourism industry in any of those places. It’s also a pretty good economic incentive to want to get off the naughty list ASAP. Since the ban is imposed on any state with a new case rate over 7 days that’s greater than 10 per 100K people or greater than 10% positivity rate It seems there’s at least an economic incentive to care about case count and percent positive still.

Unfortunately, it's certain that people driving to one of those states just won't report themselves so this just gives additional incentive to lie or withhold that information. Now if there's a penalty associated with violating the rule then that might change things.

lilypgirl

Actually I said I don’t want anyone I know to get sick and I gave you very specific examples of different people that are cast members other than my husband. It might surprise you but I don’t think the world revolves around me. Or my husband. Or my children. But I do think that cast members are risking their lives going back to work. And my husband is a cast member- hence me using him as an example.
So what you are saying is they are forcing him to go back to work? A note from his doctor saying he is high risk won’t suffice to keep him home? If that’s the legit truth than I will cut all ties with that a company. Seek stock , sell DVC and never step foot on their property for forcing a sick man to work.

legwand77

Good news if you ask me, less dying and getting sick , but i guess to some not so much
Eboh6wGXYAcCMyO.jpg
Eboh920XsAYt_Gn.jpg

Jwink

So what you are saying is they are forcing him to go back to work? A note from his doctor saying he is high risk won’t suffice to keep him home? If that’s the legit truth than I will cut all ties with that a company. Seek stock , sell DVC and never step foot on their property for forcing a sick man to work.
That’s exactly what I’m saying. He’s not ‘sick’ he has a heart condition that throws clots. Covid-19 can cause clots. He can absolutely take an unpaid medical leave of absence (but where does that leave us to pay the bills?). When he asked to remain furloughed for the time being they said no.

If you think unpaid medical leave of absence is a good option that keeps your opinion the same then that’s fine- it IS a tangible option because he’d keep his job- but unpaid is not an option for our family at this time — so hi ho hi ho... it’s...

Miss Bella

People are idiots. They blast their personal business all over social media. All it take is one picture posted on Facebook of someone posing with the Duff Man statue at USF and they are busted. Word spreads by the water cooler then someone tells HR and you are busted.
That is so true. I've seen people get fired for that. Of course, they called in sick for the week.

lilypgirl

That’s exactly what I’m saying. He’s not ‘sick’ he has a heart condition that throws clots. Covid-19 can cause clots. He can absolutely take an unpaid medical leave of absence (but where does that leave us to pay the bills?). When he asked to remain furloughed for the time being they said no.

If you think unpaid medical leave of absence is a good option that keeps your opinion the same then that’s fine- it IS a tangible option because he’d keep his job- but unpaid is not an option for our family at this time — so hi ho hi ho... it’s...
I am under the impression with the right documentation from their doctor people who shouldn’t be at work right now are allowed to continue to collect unemployment until they can safely return. Have you looked into that?

Polkadotdress

I am under the impression with the right documentation from their doctor people who shouldn’t be at work right now are allowed to continue to collect unemployment until they can safely return. Have you looked into that?

That would be the wrong impression because 1)unemployment here in FL only lasts 12 weeks and 2) being on MLOA does not allow for unemployment pay, because the employee is the reason for the absence rather than the company.

legwand77

BTW another record low in deaths today 273 , lowest since 3/25, down another 10% from last Sunday's number, down now over 90% since the peak. Sadly some on the thread think that is not good news and shouldn't be shared. Also over 7200 died from something other than Covid today.

ETA - and hospital capacity in Florida has improved.

lilypgirl

That would be the wrong impression because 1)unemployment here in FL only lasts 12 weeks and 2) being on MLOA does not allow for unemployment pay, because the employee is the reason for the absence rather than the company.
We own a business and it’s the case in our state. We had several healthy employees produce notes advising they stay home . Funny thing is the time frame they can return is around the same time the 600 dollars runs out and it diverts back to just basic unemployment.

So furloughed employees were still being paid? What happens when the 12 weeks is up and they haven’t gone back to work?Sounds like maybe he should look into some sort of disability pay. Disney isn’t the only place he can be exposed and regardless if unemployment runs out after 12 weeks he is gong to need some assistance .

legwand77

We own a business and it’s the case in our state. We had several healthy employees produce notes advising they stay home . Funny thing is the time frame they can return is around the same time the 600 dollars runs out and it diverts back to just basic unemployment.

So furloughed employees were still being paid? What happens when the 12 weeks is up they haven’t gone back to work?
bottom line when that federal $600/wk kicker stops peoples opinion will change fast

Polkadotdress

So furloughed employees were still being paid? What happens when the 12 weeks is up they haven’t gone back to work?
Normally, 12 weeks is all there is for FL since our benefits are notoriously bad. So, at the end of 12 weeks the employee would have to find a job elsewhere, or go without pay. Currently, or at least until the end of July, the CARES act allows for a FL furloughed worker to apply for federal unemployment assistance, which would grant another 13 weeks ( at the state rate of no more than $275) plus the $600 (only though end of July).

Jwink

Your husband may not feel comfortable going back to work, but there are a lot of cast members that are ready to be back at work. My husband was happy when he got the call to come back, as were each of the people he had the pleasure to call with return to work dates.
For every employee that is happy to be called there is another who doesn’t feel comfortable with 10K cases a day. My husband loves his job... but not at the possible expense of his life

Polkadotdress

When people can make equivalent of around $45,000/yr sitting at home doing nothing at all in Florida the desire to return to work lets say for some is low.

Check your math as it’s wrong.

Also, as has been said before, and I can personally attest to, actually getting the weekly unemployment payments with this technological mess of a system we have down here is very slim. I know people who have yet to be paid anything, despite applying when they were furloughed in mid April. And a family member of mine is also getting sporadic payments, and is missing the federal portion ($600) for 4 weeks in April.

So, your statement is a fallacy.

Polkadotdress

Than get the documents and apply for the extended Cares act. The state may not allow it but the Cares act does. Unless the issue is the doctors won’t ok it because his condition doesn’t really make him high risk.

So again, his doctor placing him on a MLOA precludes him from getting CARES payments as he wouldn’t be unemployed. Rather, he’d be on a leave from the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom