News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

TabulaRasa

78521647-4513-49D5-B12D-403C8A032817.jpeg

It’s horrendous.

Otamin

Disgusting.

The worst thing is I’m sure many people will like it which in Disney’s eyes will be an incentive to keep it.

Meanwhile, in the land of "If it Matched The Concept Art":

View attachment 480256

An imperfect Photoshopping, but squint and you get the idea.
This is pretty much how I expected it to initially look. Not perfect, but a lot better than how it turned out.

tirian

Let's take a bet which vloggers are gonna comment that they like it, love it, loathe it, or in the middle. They are going to be the first ones anyways on opening day or during the first week.
I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember you were willing to give it a chance. I truly applaud you for your optimism; that’s not sarcasm.

With news of this, Splash, general Disney censorship instead of education, Disney’s virus response, Epcot’s Fantasyland 2.0, etc. — I find myself trying to locate good news so that I don’t always sound negative on these boards. But they’ve really been screwing it up lately. From the price gouging to Lucasfilm, this is what happens when cold-hearted businesspeople and closed-minded special interest groups take over a company.

I’m actually a positive person IRL. Honest! ;)

tirian

Disgusting.

The worst thing is I’m sure many people will like it which in Disney’s eyes will be an incentive to keep it.

This is pretty much how I expected it to initially look. Not perfect, but a lot better than how it turned out.
Anyone who’d ever studied color theory could’ve looked at that concept art and said the colors would be harsh in the Floridian sunlight. Remember when Disney used to brag how when they built the Grand Floridian, they had carefully selecting the correct off-white to appear gleaming white in the sun?

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Anyone who’d ever studied color theory could’ve looked at that concept art and said the colors would be harsh in the Floridian sunlight. Remember when Disney used to brag how when they built the Grand Floridian, they’d carefully selecting the correct off-white to appear gleaming white in the sun?
And how many different shades of white does the facade of The American Adventure feature to correct for the fact that one shade didn’t harmonize properly with all the other colors on the building?

The lengths they used to go to were genuinely astounding. Now they manage to botch the icon of the resort in the advent of its golden anniversary? It truly is a different time.

I am hopeful that it looks better in person than it does in any of these photos. Whoever said it should be sponsored by Coppertone wins comment of the week.

tirian

And how many different shades of white does the facade of The American Adventure feature to correct for the fact that one shade didn’t harmonize properly with all the other colors on the building?

The lengths they used to go to were genuinely astounding. Now they manage to botch the icon of the resort in the advent of its golden anniversary? It truly is a different time.

I am hopeful that it looks better in person than it does in any of these photos. Whoever said it should be sponsored by Coppertone wins comment of the week.

In another thread, someone used the new ROTR ride to demonstrate WDI still has its old creative chops. That ride is amazing, and I’m not detracting from it. But its art direction was set in 1977, and more so in 1980, with “New Hope” and “Empire.”

Right now, when Disney does something from scratch, we get Pixar Pier, Mickey’s R.R., the striped Innoventions Plaza, the too-short Seven Dwarfs, and this. It’s a bit sad and reminds me of DCA version 1.0.

Frozen has wonderful art direction, but it’s essentially an Efteling attraction with Disney IP. Yet its “storyline” is dull, corporate, and uninspiring, and of course it’s in the wrong park. ;)

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

In another thread, someone used the new ROTR ride to demonstrate WDI still has its old creative chops. That ride is amazing, and I’m not detracting from it. But its art direction was set in 1977, and more so in 1980, with “New Hope” and “Empire.”

Right now, when Disney does something from scratch, we get Pixar Pier, Mickey’s R.R., the striped Innoventions Plaza, the too-short Seven Dwarfs, and this. It’s a bit sad and reminds me of DCA version 1.0.

Frozen is wonderful, but it’s essentially an Efteling attraction with Disney IP. And of course it’s in the wrong park. ;)
Indeed - credit for Rise of the Resistance should probably go as much to Ralph McQuarrie as it does to the contemporary Imagineers. Not that I wish to detract from its success either - to me it's the best thing stateside in a good, long while and by a good, wide margin. I'd like to see more projects like it rather than fewer.

The other thing that blows my mind is how much it costs for these new experiences - in 1969 The Haunted Mansion reportedly cost $7 Million, which was a big number. But who thinks that, counting for inflation, they could pull that off for a mere $50 Million today? I know there's more to it than that, but when something like Mermaid costs $150 Million you start to wonder . . .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom