News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

sbunit

So is this a roller coaster or a simulator? And any idea on the anticipated height restriction? And lastly, is this opening in 2021?

Jones14

So is this a roller coaster or a simulator? And any idea on the anticipated height restriction? And lastly, is this opening in 2021?
Coaster with projection screens, like Gringotts and Rock’n’Rollercoaster had a baby.

I believe someone said it would be 44 inches, and 2021 was the original date, but who knows at this point?

Giss Neric

He’s not going to say it’s rubbish now is he? Especially not in a carefully crafted and planted PR leak?

Let alone it’s not finished yet.
I'm not yet fully sold by this ride anyways since I literally have no idea about its overall concept aside from the reverse launch, the rotating cars and it being one of the longest indoor coasters that interest me. At least the new coaster at Universal you literally can see what's it's like based from the construction.

Giss Neric

Is it even an attraction anymore?
Is Avengers Campus even a priority anymore?

Not exactly related but why do we mostly see constructions from Florida parks than California? I rarely see construction progress from Avengers Campus or even Nintendo World in California, whether pre, during or post pandemic.

No Name

Is Avengers Campus even a priority anymore?

Not exactly related but why do we mostly see constructions from Florida parks than California? I rarely see construction progress from Avengers Campus or even Nintendo World in California, whether pre, during or post pandemic.

First, there’s no Bioreconstruct in CA. Second, this is wdwmagic.com.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Indeed.

Furthermore, we don't get many aerials of MK because of the 'no fly zone' and aside from TRON, ain't much new builds happening there. The limit of the no fly zone allow for aerials of the rest of the parks and resorts.

In DL, OTOH, all the building is in the no fly zone. So, aerials are rare there.

But there were people documenting from the ground and atop buildings, tree forts, and coasters, the progress of SWGE.

Giss Neric

I am aware that this is wdwmagic but there is a thread in this site dedicated to other parks from other states too including Disneyland. I am also interested how other parks are doing.

yensidtlaw1969

Thank god.

I'm just always concerned Disney is going to pivot hard into simulators for the majority of new rides. I've been a bit worried that Rise of the Resistance could actually push them towards simulators even more -- not because people aren't blown away by it (obviously they are) but because of the significant operational difficulties.
The amount of people saying "Rise of the Resistance was cool, but Flight of Passage is still the best ride at WDW" has had me similarly worried.

No hate for Flight of Passage, but give me more attractions like Rise EVERY day of the week.

UNCgolf

The amount of people saying "Rise of the Resistance was cool, but Flight of Passage is still the best ride at WDW" has had me similarly worried.

No hate for Flight of Passage, but give me more attractions like Rise EVERY day of the week.

Flight of Passage is a fun ride, but part of the reason it works is that there's really nothing else like it at Disney (Soarin' is similar, but not the same type of experience). Build several more and suddenly it's nothing special.

Beyond that, fully screen based rides are never as interesting/immersive as rides with physical sets and locations. The actual motion simulation in FoP doesn't do much for me; I mostly enjoy the beautiful scenery and I could get a significant portion of that experience (no, I'm not saying I could get the full experience) just watching it at home (given a large enough screen). Watching a video of rides with actual sets does not give me the same feeling at all, because I'm not inhabiting that physical space.

Jones14

Flight also benefits from the “I didn’t know simulators could do THAT” feeling, whereas Rise is the culmination of every trick we’ve seen before thrown into one massive experience.

Both rides are great additions, but we expect Disney’s dark rides to blow us away, so Rise has a higher bar to clear from the outset. Simulators? Not so much, so Flight gets a significant boost by nature of being better than its ride system sets it up to be.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Most times I'm on FoP there are people screaming at the drop -- the drops that they think they're taking which is only, at most, in actuality, 3 feet.

There's a lot of people who buy into that SFX/illusion, and thus, think FoP is the best ride ever (or in the top three).

I could imagine that for those not buying into the illusion, they wouldn't be so excited for the ride.

180º

Just wanted to second what everyone has said about FoP, because you’re all spot on. The ride system may be only barely upgraded from Soarin’ to the point where it’s just right, but from there it’s a perfectly executed four and a half minutes once the ride starts. Compare that to Rise, which is a little clunkier from start to finish even if its scope is 10x more massive. (Still love it though 🙂)

Apropos of nothing, I’ll also add that the drop in the escape pod absolutely sells the finale for me. Every mild-to-intense thrill attraction could benefit from that kind of kinetic/dramatic surprise near the end. From what we know about GOTG, there should be no shortage of ways to move guests during the ride. I hope we’ll see some similar drama.

Even though nothing will top the drama and elegance of massive moving theater passing through a 92-foot-wide doorway into a prehistoric diorama.*

*Obligatory avenging of UoE

UNCgolf

Most times I'm on FoP there are people screaming at the drop -- the drops that they think they're taking which is only, at most, in actuality, 3 feet.

There's a lot of people who buy into that SFX/illusion, and thus, think FoP is the best ride ever (or in the top three).

I could imagine that for those not buying into the illusion, they wouldn't be so excited for the ride.

FoP is a very good ride, and there are definitely people who think it's the best ride they've ever been on (my sister is one!). I just think that if there were two or three other similar rides at WDW (i.e. screen based simulator thrill rides), it would probably lose some of its appeal because it would no longer be unique. But maybe not -- I know the ride system itself doesn't matter much to me when it comes to dark rides, because I care more about the sets, AAs, etc., so maybe there could be 4 rides that are identical to FoP in every way (i.e. same length, drops at the exact same time, and so on) except for what's on the screen and that alone would be enough.

SpectroMan93

Just wanted to second what everyone has said about FoP, because you’re all spot on. The ride system may be only barely upgraded from Soarin’ to the point where it’s just right, but from there it’s a perfectly executed four and a half minutes once the ride starts. Compare that to Rise, which is a little clunkier from start to finish even if its scope is 10x more massive. (Still love it though 🙂)

Apropos of nothing, I’ll also add that the drop in the escape pod absolutely sells the finale for me. Every mild-to-intense thrill attraction could benefit from that kind of kinetic/dramatic surprise near the end. From what we know about GOTG, there should be no shortage of ways to move guests during the ride. I hope we’ll see some similar drama.

Even though nothing will top the drama and elegance of massive moving theater passing through a 92-foot-wide doorway into a prehistoric diorama.*

*Obligatory avenging of UoE

I agree completely. For me, where FOP has ROTR beat is the emotional impact. The sensation of flying, the visuals, and the musical score come together sooo well in FOP. Even though you’re in a giant theater, the experience feels so intimate and personal. Honestly, I was very moved by the end of the ride and almost cried lol.

Where as ROTR wowed me with the sheer scale and ambition of the whole experience. Massive set pieces, multiple ride systems, cast member interaction, etc. There really is nothing like it anywhere in the world. But, as grand as the experience is, I wasn’t moved by it. I was impressed for sure, but something was missing emotionally.

I think that’s why many people prefer FOP because it manages to touch people on an emotional level that you don’t normally find on a theme park ride.

Movielover

Where as ROTR wowed me with the sheer scale and ambition of the whole experience. Massive set pieces, multiple ride systems, cast member interaction, etc. There really is nothing like it anywhere in the world. But, as grand as the experience is, I wasn’t moved by it. I was impressed for sure, but something was missing emotionally.

I think that’s why many people prefer FOP because it manages to touch people on an emotional level that you don’t normally find on a theme park ride.

Funny enough I had the exact opposite reaction. I loved FOP but Rise just hit me with so many different feelings and emotions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom