Jurassic Park Rollercoaster Coming To Universals Islands Of Adventure?

JT3000

It even happens within the same project. Controlling the sight lines in Diagonal Alley was a major endeavor but then the marquee attraction send people downstairs out back.

Galaxy's Edge did the exact same thing. That is the unfortunate nature of extended queues.

I’m no supporter of Tron or Guardians’ egregious boxes. But the difference is that the rides themselves will also thrill through storytelling rather than purely through the ride mechanism. That’s a big part of what separates amusement parks and theme parks.

I've watched several videos of Tron and I've yet to see anything I'd call "storytelling." Just some neon video screens in darkness (and a section that goes outside, utterly breaking the ride's own theme just as it's getting started.)

I'm also not sure why you're surprised when you receive a negative reaction for pushing this "Universal is just an amusement park" narrative, on the Universal side of the forum no less. Does Universal commit thematic transgressions like an amusement park would? Absolutely, but so does Disney (See: Tron.) So what standard are you even comparing them to when deciding they don't qualify as theme parks? Personally I think they should both cut that **** out. I like to hold everyone responsible, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Galaxy's Edge did the exact same thing. That is the unfortunate nature of extended queues.
A big difference, though, is that the Gringotts extended queue is used all the time, and the Smuggler's Run extended queue was used only during the surge of attendance at Rise's opening and only in the morning.

No Name

I've watched several videos of Tron and I've yet to see anything I'd call "storytelling." Just some neon video screens in darkness (and a section that goes outside, utterly breaking the ride's own theme just as it's getting started.)

I'm also not sure why you're surprised when you receive a negative reaction for pushing this "Universal is just an amusement park" narrative, on the Universal side of the forum no less. Does Universal commit thematic transgressions like an amusement park would? Absolutely, but so does Disney (See: Tron.) So what standard are you even comparing them to when deciding they don't qualify as theme parks? Personally I think they should both cut that **** out. I like to hold everyone responsible, but maybe that's just me.

Me claiming that Universal is building an amusement park ride (not “Universal is just an amusement park”) should bother no one here, if they’re so proud of it. That’s the issue. And the fact that people here become immediately defensive speaks volumes as to what they truly think.

As for Tron, there are so many things wrong with it, but there’s a clear difference between it and what you’d find at your regional amusement parks. The outside portion does unfortunately break theme, but that means there is theme to be broken. Amusement park rides can’t break theme if there is none.

BubbaisSleep

As for Tron, there are so many things wrong with it, but there’s a clear difference between it and what you’d find at your regional amusement parks. The outside portion does unfortunately break theme, but that means there is theme to be broken. Amusement park rides can’t break theme if there is none.
That's how I exactly see the new Jurassic Park coaster. Some are quick to dismiss coaster tracks and I'm not sure why. It's a theme park, not the real world. Seeing a roller-coaster run through New York is exciting and how I wish the real New York was. Roller coasters, exposed or not, are a beautiful art. Just because you see a track doesn't disregard all the elements Universal will be putting into this ride that will make this above an amusement park ride.

I do think there will be a lot of elements that will separate this ride from your typical amusement park and I applaud Universal for trying to break outside the typical "in a box" or "mine-train" coaster that Disney has to stick too (2 mine-train in one park is a lot). Yes I would love to fly around on Hagrid's motorcycle without seeing a track but this is real life, a track has to exist.

JT3000

Me claiming that Universal is building an amusement park ride (not “Universal is just an amusement park”) should bother no one here, if they’re so proud of it. That’s the issue. And the fact that people here become immediately defensive speaks volumes as to what they truly think.

Yes, rides can't break theme if there is none to begin with -- I'm just not sure how that argument applies to Velocicoaster, which has a theme, and yes, even on-ride theming. It will supposedly have an entire show scene or two. And even if it didn't, a roller coaster in Jurassic Park doesn't break any theme. Certainly not like Tron going outdoors into the real world. Jurassic Park is literally an amusement park that's had roller coasters in some depictions.

A big difference, though, is that the Gringotts extended queue is used all the time...

Hardly. I can't even remember the last time I was in it. In fact, most of the bank lobby is usually empty.

BubbaisSleep

Can you name some?
Well, there will be two indoor scenes. The framing for the rock-work is growing, not only around the track but there is also a new picture showing the track going through the rock-work framing. We know inside the land will be full of trees and raptors cages, which they already built at the now open Raptor Encounter. There's clearly going to be a theme connecting both Raptor Encounter and the new coaster are arrows painted on the pathway that connects RE with the second launch pad for the coaster. So clearly, they've planned this thing out carefully.

Can you name your sources that led you to the conclusion that this is going to be another amusement park coaster, beside seeing the coaster tracks of a roller-coaster under construction? Here's a good source as well. Hoping for some surprises and we don't know how the raptors will be used.

Last edited:

cheezbat

People are complaining about the Jurassic coaster being a big steel monstrosity with little theming, but actually I think it will be perfectly themed...please remember that Jurassic Park at Islands is a theme park in a theme park with rides. A barebones coaster could fit the theme easily.

Im just glad this thing looks to be super fun and it doesn’t have 200 foot tall towers standing over Hogsmeade.

Rob562

When completed, you will not see an unthemed building inside the park.

If they don't make significant changes or additions to the canopy structure, or a LOT of trees, you'll almost definitely see the main Tron building from parts of Fantasyland. Over in the Tron-specific thread I posted aerial views from both MK and Shanghai and showed that if the attraction is an exact copy/paste, there are some places in MK whose corresponding locations are backstage or outside the park in Shanghai and thus give views of the bare building.

I'm holding off on final judgement until we see if they add additional structure, but the initial outlook isn't good.

A big difference, though, is that the Gringotts extended queue is used all the time, and the Smuggler's Run extended queue was used only during the surge of attendance at Rise's opening and only in the morning.

The thing that kills me about the Gringott's queue situation is SOOOOO easy to fix, at least for what you see from the covered part of the queue. Simply add the top floors and roofline of some faux buildings on the other side of the courtyard walls. The biggest offender is the back of the King's Cross building.

However that won't fix the view of the Gringott's building itself once the queue expands into the open-air part of the courtyard.

-Rob

Last edited:

No Name

The theme park in a theme park excuse is the epitome of laziness. In that case you’d all be better off comparing this to Incredicoaster or Slinky Dog Dash than Tron.
Roller coasters, exposed or not, are a beautiful art.

People who agree don’t need to take an expensive vacation to Orlando. They can find boatloads of beautiful art at their local Six Flags park for a much cheaper price.

BubbaisSleep

The theme park in a theme park excuse is the epitome of laziness. In that case you’d all be better off comparing this to Incredicoaster or Slinky Dog Dash than Tron.

People who agree don’t need to take an expensive vacation to Orlando. They can find boatloads of beautiful art at their local Six Flags park for a much cheaper price.
Incredicoaster is lazy, I don't think this coaster is. Clearly, you just don't like exposed coasters and that's okay. To insult others shows how irrational your thinking is though. I find every coaster at IOA to offer very different than what Six Flags offers. It also holds a statement towards your intelligence, as you can't differentiate between your emotions towards steel coasters and what is actually happening. This isn't a Six Flags coaster, neither is Hagrids. I'm sad you can't separate steel tracks from all the hard work that went into planning this coaster without putting other's down. You don't like it, that's okay, but saying it's a Six Flags coaster is a joke & those who enjoy this like a lower quality is a joke.

Us people will continue to take expensive vacations to ride unique roller-coasters, thank you egg.

Last edited by a moderator:

TestTrack Dummy

You can also find beautiful art in your local museum. Yet if you want to see the Mona Lisa you have to go to France...

There are boatloads of amazing coasters you can't find at six flags. Taron, which appears to be inspiring this coaster, being one of them.

No Name

Incredicoaster is lazy, I don't think this coaster is. Clearly, you just don't like exposed coasters and that's okay. To insult others shows how irrational your thinking is though. I find every coaster at IOA to offer very different than what Six Flags offers. It also holds a statement towards your intelligence, as you can't differentiate between your emotions towards steel coasters and what is actually happening. This isn't a Six Flags coaster, neither is Hagrids. I'm sad you can't separate steel tracks from all the hard work that went into planning this coaster without putting other's down. You don't like it, that's okay, but saying it's a Six Flags coaster is a joke & those who enjoy this like a lower quality is a joke.

Again, state your sources or you're just showing your *** here. Us people will continue to take expensive vacations to ride unique roller-coasters, thank you egg.

?!

You’re bizarrely emotional over this, and you’re making a ton of false assumptions about me. I simply don’t think this is a smart business decision for Universal because it doesn’t help them rationalize a theme park vacation at a premium price. But Universal clearly disagrees with me on what’ll be successful for them (in multiple regards), so best of luck to them!

You can also find beautiful art in your local museum. Yet if you want to see the Mona Lisa you have to go to France...

There are boatloads of amazing coasters you can't find at six flags. Taron, which appears to be inspiring this coaster, being one of them.

Phantasialand gets only 2 million visitors a year and charges less than half of what Universal does. Business-wise it’s on par with Six Flags or Cedar Fair or whatnot.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

In that case you’d all be better off comparing this to Incredicoaster or Slinky Dog Dash than Tron.
and in those comparisons the Velociraptor coaster will win easily as it is expected to contain show scenes of velociraptors. Although as Universal don't release official concept art we won't know for sure exactly what it is until shortly before opening.

I think all of the current coasters at Universal try to tell a story which rises them above the level of the coasters at Six Flags and the Seaworld/Busch Parks.
As has been said Disney seem to either theme a coaster to a train (Big Thunder, Seven Dwarves, Everest), to a coaster (Slinky and Incredicoaster) or put it in a box (Rock'n'roller, Tron, Space Mountain).
Whereas Universal use a coaster as a device to transport passengers through a story almost like using it as a fast moving omnimover (Mummy, Gringotts), or where another ride vehicle can't feasibly be used (you wouldn't be able to ride a real flying motorcycle to be on Hagrids bike), only two really are just heavily themed coasters (Hulk & Rip Ride Rocket).

Lirael

and in those comparisons the Velociraptor coaster will win easily as it is expected to contain show scenes of velociraptors. Although as Universal don't release official concept art we won't know for sure exactly what it is until shortly before opening.

I think all of the current coasters at Universal try to tell a story which rises them above the level of the coasters at Six Flags and the Seaworld/Busch Parks.
As has been said Disney seem to either theme a coaster to a train (Big Thunder, Seven Dwarves, Everest), to a coaster (Slinky and Incredicoaster) or put it in a box (Rock'n'roller, Tron, Space Mountain).
Whereas Universal use a coaster as a device to transport passengers through a story almost like using it as a fast moving omnimover (Mummy, Gringotts), or where another ride vehicle can't feasibly be used (you wouldn't be able to ride a real flying motorcycle to be on Hagrids bike), only two really are just heavily themed coasters (Hulk & Rip Ride Rocket).

I mostly agree, but I'd say both Everest and RnR have as much theming as Hulk and Rip Ride, and RnR does have a story to it. It's not as elaborate as Gringotts and falls a little short of the Mummy in how much storytelling there is, but it's still there.

Jon81uk

I mostly agree, but I'd say both Everest and RnR have as much theming as Hulk and Rip Ride, and RnR does have a story to it. It's not as elaborate as Gringotts and falls a little short of the Mummy in how much storytelling there is, but it's still there.

I put Hulk (you get in a car to be blasted with gama rays) has a similar amount of story to RnR (take a limo to the gig). but most people rank RnR as the better experience mainly because it is indoors and has a full pre-show.

and I'm not really saying whether there is more or less theming on Everest vs Hulk (although Everest has a lot more), its more that Disney default to using a train theme on a train. But Universal pick out the hardware that helps tell a story.
Its almost like Disney want to build a coaster and then work out how to hide that it is a coaster (make it a train or put it in a box).
Whereas Universal either accept it is a coaster somewhat (Hulk, Rip Ride) or they work out the story they wish to tell and then find the best hardware to do it with (Gringotts, Hagrid, to some extent The Mummy).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom