News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

RaveOnEd

Fear, hysteria. The usual talking points.
They aren't talking points if that's all the news leads off with. It's not informative and all you hear are about increases in cases. You hear nothing more, seemingly.

Go and look into the numbers and the reasons for the increases. I would think that you'll find that there are hefty percentages of asymptomatic and antibody-positive numbers lumped in, and very little being hospitalized.

Jrb1979

They aren't talking points if that's all the news leads off with. It's not informative and all you hear are about increases in cases. You hear nothing more, seemingly.

Go and look into the numbers and the reasons for the increases. I would think that you'll find that there are hefty percentages of asymptomatic and antibody-positive numbers lumped in, and very little being hospitalized.
I for one could care less about that. IMO cases rising means we can't let our guard down. IMO social distancing guidelines should have been more strict as things open. With more people out now physical distancing and mask wearing should be mandatory.

RaveOnEd

I for one could care less about that. IMO cases rising means we can't let our guard down. IMO social distancing guidelines should have been more strict as things open. With more people out now physical distancing and mask wearing should be mandatory.
I completely agree with what you're saying. But I maintain that it's irresponsible to just release that cases are increasing and leaving it as is.

Plus it was going to happen anyway, given more people being out and about. It's a fantasy to think that once the numbers decreased, it would stay that way as more people began to circulate again.

But I agree that in the reopenings, precautions have to be taken.

Parker in NYC

Assuming those numbers (or any) are accurate, here's a bigger question. What do people who refuse to social distance (or say they observe it but really don't), wear masks, etc. have to lose? People keep asking what the end game is for those of us who want to follow the restrictions. What's the end game for the rest? I'm honestly asking what they have to lose. They obviously have a horse in this race/argument but what is it exactly?

Last edited:

Jrb1979

I completely agree with what you're saying. But I maintain that it's irresponsible to just release that cases are increasing and leaving it as is.

Plus it was going to happen anyway, given more people being out and about. It's a fantasy to think that once the numbers decreased, it would stay that way as more people began to circulate again.

But I agree that in the reopenings, precautions have to be taken.
I beg do differ with numbers rising with more people out. Here in Ontario where we have had strict social distancing measures in place the whole time, our numbers have gone down. We have more things open now and our numbers have been steady in 200 for over a week.

RaveOnEd

Assuming those numbers (or any) are accurate, here's a bigger question. What do people who refuse to social distance (or say they observe it but really don't), masks, etc. have to lose? People keep asking what the end game is for those of us who want to follow the restrictions. What's the end game for the rest? I'm honestly asking what they have to lose. They obviously have a horse in this race/argument but what is it exactly?
Honestly, I can’t say what they feel they gain beyond feeling like they can resume life like nothing happened.
Me and my family follow the guidelines (mask, social distancing, hand sanitizer, etc.).
But we’re not sheltered away in fear of it anymore, the more news that comes out that the models were messed up to begin with and the numbers are not as big as when things peaked.
Of course it’s a serious virus. But at some point life needs to start moving again.

dolbyman

I'm honestly asking what they have to lose. They obviously have a horse in this race/argument but what is it exactly?

Infecting people (asymptomatic=unknowingly, symptomatic=knowingly) around them, either strangers or family members/coworkers/etc.

Endgame is herd immunity.. either by powering through it (Sweden Model) or by doing it slowly (social distancing measures and a vaccine that hopefully arrives at one point) .. or a middle-ground of both

Kingoglow

I continue to think about the sacrifices made by Americans during WW2, and about how loud they would laugh at our society today.

People think masks are political instead of doing their part to save lives.. People intentionally infringe in your six foot bubble to make a point that they are smart and you are dumb. People are purposefully coughing on people as well as meat and produce. rejecting basic health courtesy in even the best of times.

Our society just isn't great anymore and everyone seems hell-bent on dragging everyone else down further.

DisneyCane

With regards to spikes in cases, IMO instead of going back to a lockdown, they need to put more strict social distancing measures in.

As far as the fines go, here in Ontario Canada, it falls under the emergency acts by-law. Each city has the right to fine people and businesses for not complying with social distancing.
OK. That explains it as Canada obviously has a different legal system and constitution. In the USA, a business could probably be fined due to regulations that they agree to follow when getting a business license but if they started fining individuals for not wearing a mask under the authority of an executive order, the fine would be thrown out if fought in court. If the state legislature passed a law that was signed by the governor, then they could enforce it with penalties.

That is a grand assumption. For me, at least, it's more of a wake up call for all of us to adhere to the restrictions. That's really all I'm concerned about. If it gets to the point that localized closings have to happen, that's another story. But for now, if people still think this doesn't apply to them, God save them from their stupidity.
I should have said that it seems to me that that is what people are trying to infer. If it is just a wake-up call type thing then that's perfectly reasonable.

Assuming those numbers (or any) are accurate, here's a bigger question. What do people who refuse to social distance (or say they observe it but really don't), wear masks, etc. have to lose? People keep asking what the end game is for those of us who want to follow the restrictions. What's the end game for the rest? I'm honestly asking what they have to lose. They obviously have a horse in this race/argument but what is it exactly?

I do practice social distancing personally and wear a mask when required. I think what triggered a lot of the social distance backlash is that the restrictions went too far and didn't allow for some semblance of normal life with social distancing included. Instead, all of the "non-essential" business weren't allowed to operate at all in some cases or under drastically changed, non-profitable business models in others. This caused a level of anger among a significant percentage of the population (me included) and caused some to want to make a statement by not following social distancing restrictions. If "Phase 1" had been the original mitigation method, the vast majority would have accepted it as reasonable and I don't think you would see the refusal situations now.

People think masks are political instead of doing their part to save lives.

Personally it isn't a political thing. I don't want to wear one when I can social distance because they are uncomfortable and I don't particularly like to smell my own breath if I'm talking or breathing through my mouth. I'm not saving anybody's life wearing a mask in a parking lot or 10 feet away from somebody at the beach.

I wear it when required to enter an establishment or when I can't distance and rip it off the second I am out and away from other people.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

I beg do differ with numbers rising with more people out. Here in Ontario where we have had strict social distancing measures in place the whole time, our numbers have gone down. We have more things open now and our numbers have been steady in 200 for over a week.
You live in Canada. Our friends from the north are much better behaved with most things. 🙂

GoofGoof

Premium Member
While no one is "saying" to go back to a lockdown, the focus on case "spikes" and drawing the most negative possible conclusion infers that they want to go back to a lockdown.
That’s what the mainstream media wants you to think. It’s just not true for the vast majority of people. The focus on spikes is to point out that things might be moving in the wrong direction and we need to watch it and adjust if necessary. Wasn’t that supposed to be the plan all along. Open slowly and methodically, assess the impact and adjust accordingly. There’s a whole lot of middle ground between open with no restrictions and full stay at home. Requiring masks or more social distancing doesn’t mean all the businesses need to shut down again. There are a bunch of leavers that can be pulled before saying the only solution is to return to lockdowns. I don’t believe very many people want a return to full stay at home orders.

Patcheslee

I realize it's a bit apples to oranges, but Cedar Point Seasonal Passes (not open year round) have been extended through the 2021 season. They were originally supposed to open late may, but instead are opening up with reservations July 9th. The park was closed for about a month an a half out of the 5.5ish month operating schedule or about 25% of the season. I'm assuming the rest of 2020 will need reservations at CP, although that is not confirmed yet.

Basically CP is extending 2020 pass through the time of closure AND reservation period, which in this case is a full extra season. I'm sure Disney is scrambling trying to figure out what to do.
All the CF chain is extended through 2021 with all season pass add-ons included as well. There's too much variety between the park opening dates to feasibly not have it for all. The platinum pass kinda threw a wrench in that IMO.
(Worlds of Fun June 22nd, Kings Island July 2nd, Cedar Point July 9th, and none have a waterpark date yet.) There's plenty more without confirmed dates as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom