Councilperson Dr. Jose Moreno proposes $1 gate tax for the DLR and other venues - Failed a second time, but still very much alive.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
At today's 3 PM city budget workshop, Dr. Moreno brought up a gate tax for the DLR, Angel Stadium and Honda Center to help deal with projected deficits.

The Mayor pointed out that a proposed gate tax must go through the regular city council approval process first.

Then Dr. Moreno made a bunch of political comments for campaign use.

I presume it will be brought up again at the 5 PM regular City Council Meeting, which will be a long one. Placing Cannabis on the ballot and New housing developments are the big items.

drizgirl

At today's 3 PM city budget workshop, Dr. Moreno brought up a gate tax for the DLR, Angel Stadium and Honda Center to help deal with projected deficits.

The Mayor pointed out that a proposed gate tax must go through the regular city council approval process first.

I presume it will be brought up again at the 5 PM regular City Council Meeting, which will be a long one. Placing Cannabis on the ballot and New housing developments are the big items.
That sure would be the proverbial camel’s nose under the tent.

Curious Constance

Wait? They’re projecting deficits? Did he say why? Cause I know it can’t have anything to do with Disney being closed. Since Anaheim doesn’t need Disney.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Note, even if the City Council looks at a Gate Tax, which more than likely would have to include ALL forms of entertainment, including movie theaters, concerts, plays, ballet and dance, that it would have to be approved by the voters.

The council is discussing Cannabis currently, then planning department items, before we get to future agenda items, which require three councilmembers to be approved.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Well, Dr. Moreno has brought back the Gate Tax during a discussion to place a Cannabis Tax question (which would allow legal retail shops in the city). He saying if we place the Marihuana question on the ballot, we should place the Gate Tax also.

Edited to Add - The Cannabis Tax question was Tabled, which translates to Failed and will not be on the ballot.

Last edited:

TP2000

"It’s as if somehow we should feel fortunate that Walt Disney chose Anaheim,” -Dr. Jose Moreno, Anaheim City Councilman, speaking to the Wall Street Journal, September 17th, 2018

Fast forward 18 months....

Harbor Blvd. looking south alongside Disneyland on Tuesday, March 31st 2020, a week after Disneyland closed indefinitely.
IMG_0427 (2).JPG

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
At 11;40 PM, Item 35 just started, it is expected to take about a hour, due to Dr. Moreno wanting to discuss Affordable housing at length.

Item 36 will have to be rescheduled, and new public notices be sent out, due to failure to start by Midnight on June 9th, the date posted.

So after Item 35 is finished, the council will be allotted 10 minutes each to discuss items like the Flag Day Vehicle Processional on Sunday, and to request future Agenda Items. It is at this time, I expect Dr. Moreno to ask for a second and a third to place the Gate Tax on the Agenda in two weeks.

The Council started at 3 PM with the Budget Update, followed by closed council, and now the regular session, and yes, I have been listening the whole time, as have many others, in total, about 10 hours. And I got up at 5:40 AM to listen and participate in our daily briefing, and need to do so in 6 hours. But I can take a nap after the meeting is finished.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
At 12:55 PM, time to start the Council Communications.

First off, Street Sweeping enforcement will start again on June 15th.

Dr. Moreno is starting at 1:06 PM, and asking for the Gate Tax discussion.

Interesting to note, he mentions DLP attendance at 18M and DCA at 9M, but only says that the city would get $18M, "(including CA Adventure in total as tickets largely inclusive of both parks)"

Factoring a Budget Deficit of $75 to $100 Million.

Open to a Dollar, or a percentage of the ticket.

Open to a sunset feature of X amount of years.

Councilmember Barnes seconds.

Fails to get a third, the request is not accepted, and will not be on the next agenda.

TP2000

Dr. Moreno is starting at 1:06 PM, and asking for the Gate Tax discussion.

Interesting to note, he mentions DLP attendance at 18M and DCA at 9M, but only says that the city would get $18M, "(including CA Adventure in total as tickets largely inclusive of both parks)"

Factoring a Budget Deficit of $75 to $100 Million.

Open to a Dollar, or a percentage of the ticket.

Open to a sunset feature of X amount of years.

Councilmember Barnes seconds.

Fails to get a third, the request is not accepted, and will not be on the next agenda.

I assume that was actually at 1:06AM and not PM.

It's apparent that Dr. Moreno, like many puffed up men who use the "Dr." title but who don't actually practice medicine, likes to hear himself talk and finds himself fascinating to listen to. Even at one in the morning on the taxpayer's dime. Dr. Moreno seems like someone I would avoid like the plague from including on a dinner party guest list; a complete bore.

But am I to assume that since he couldn't get his Disneyland gate tax accepted and passed on to the next agenda, that his cute little attempt at making a statement failed?

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I assume that was actually at 1:06AM and not PM.

It's apparent that Dr. Moreno, like many folks who use the "Dr." title but don't actually practice medicine, likes to hear himself talk and finds himself fascinating to listen to. Even at 1:06 in the morning on the taxpayer's dime. Dr. Moreno seems like someone I would avoid from including on a dinner party guest list like the plague; a complete bore.

But am I to assume that since he couldn't get his Disneyland gate tax accepted and passed on to the next agenda, that his cute little attempt at making a statement failed?

Oh, it maybe failed to make the Agenda, but Dr. Moreno will be using it for political campaigning in the future.

So he made his statement.

Same reason Dr. Moreno spent two hours discussing Affordable Housing in proposed projects. Both projects were approved as planned. (Both opted to offer the city funds to use in regards to affordable housing instead of placing units in their projects).

You can read all about it in the Voice of OC Press Release, oops, I meant News Article.

And I fixed my times.. Thanks for the heads up.

Time for my first nap.

smooch

Thank you for all these updates. It's very interesting to see how the city will try to recover from the massive deficit this has caused and will very likely continue to cause, your insight on everything is always very interesting!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom