Coronavirus impact on DVC

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The NBA wants an isolated resort. No guests allowed in. Aside from the virus concerns they don’t want tons of fans showing up trying to get an autograph or a selfie at the pool with an NBA player. I‘d say there’s zero chance they use Riviera unless WDW stays closed through the NBA season and they don’t open the resort to guests.
I agree, which is why CSR is probably the best choice if it happens.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Is all this really an actual worry? I hate to say it, but there is no shortage of rooms and housing in the Orlando area, and it is more likely that players will rent a local house than stay at a DVC or hotel room for a month. Just my guess.
Post Edit: I see mention of an attempt to include housing. That could even be trailers provided near the facilities, we have no idea.
I agree. Not houses but an off property hotel is possible. There are so many hotels and all they need is some place they could lock down. I was thinking if they don’t bring all 30 teams the 4 Seasons may be perfect. They have around 800 rooms and are pretty isolated from fans attempting to get in Plus higher end, with these star players being spoiled the All Stars would be a tough sell. The other option is to split into multiple boutique size hotels (2 or 3). If they stay on property CSR looks like the perfect option. They have 2,000+ rooms plus the convention space so they could easily fit the 35 people from each team even if all 30 teams come. The convention space could be used for team meetings, media setups and possibly even temporary practice courts.

I think the reason people are worried about an impact is there were some who suspect Disney will keep all of WDW shut down until the NBA leaves (Sometime in Sept). I don’t see that as necessary or likely. The sports complex is isolated from the parks and resorts and easy to lock down. CSR could be easily locked down. The only issue might be players wanting to go to the parks on their off days ;););)

Club Cooloholic

I agree. Not houses but an off property hotel is possible. There are so many hotels and all they need is some place they could lock down. I was thinking if they don’t bring all 30 teams the 4 Seasons may be perfect. They have around 800 rooms and are pretty isolated from fans attempting to get in Plus higher end, with these star players being spoiled the All Stars would be a tough sell. The other option is to split into multiple boutique size hotels (2 or 3). If they stay on property CSR looks like the perfect option. They have 2,000+ rooms plus the convention space so they could easily fit the 35 people from each team even if all 30 teams come. The convention space could be used for team meetings, media setups and possibly even temporary practice courts.

I think the reason people are worried about an impact is there were some who suspect Disney will keep all of WDW shut down until the NBA leaves (Sometime in Sept). I don’t see that as necessary or likely. The sports complex is isolated from the parks and resorts and easy to lock down. CSR could be easily locked down. The only issue might be players wanting to go to the parks on their off days ;););)
Agree.
With Universal opening up in June, Disney is not going to allow this NBA thing to interfere with when they are ready.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Agree.
With Universal opening up in June, Disney is not going to allow this NBA thing to interfere with when they are ready.
The only thing the NBA could be delaying is an announcement on opening. It’s no coincidence that the NBA makes a final decision and votes on Friday and WDW chose not to submit plans last week. If WDW is chosen and CSR is also chosen they will want to know that for sure before announcing a plan. No point in taking CSR completely off the availability list and then finding out the NBA chose Vegas instead. They also have to work with guests already booked there to relocate them.

nickys

Premium Member
Is all this really an actual worry? I hate to say it, but there is no shortage of rooms and housing in the Orlando area, and it is more likely that players will rent a local house than stay at a DVC or hotel room for a month. Just my guess.
Post Edit: I see mention of an attempt to include housing. That could even be trailers provided near the facilities, we have no idea.
The NBA want a bubble for the end of the season - accommodation, transport and games for just the teams and TV crews.
Some of us were answering a query from @Sir Jack Wexford about the possible impact on DVC. There won’t even an impact.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
So I officially cancelled my August trip today :( 35 mins on hold (not bad). I had banked 53 points from 2019 into 2020, used 160 2020 points and borrowed 160 2021 points to book the trip. My plan is to reschedule for next August so my primary concern was getting my 2021 points returned to the 2021 use year. After talking to member services they cancelled the reservation and right now all 373 points are sitting in my 2020 use year. The DVC operator said the 2021 points will automatically be returned to the 2021 use year on any cancellations but it will take several weeks to happen, I have until Oct 31 to bank my 2020 points into 2021 and that I have until March 1 to use the 53 points from 2019 (so no extension of March use year points). I was worried about the 2021 points and confirmed multiple times while on the phone that they would go back to 2021 use year which I believe is an exception to normal process when cancelling a reservation using borrowed points.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So I officially cancelled my August trip today :( 35 mins on hold (not bad). I had banked 53 points from 2019 into 2020, used 160 2020 points and borrowed 160 2021 points to book the trip. My plan is to reschedule for next August so my primary concern was getting my 2021 points returned to the 2021 use year. After talking to member services they cancelled the reservation and right now all 373 points are sitting in my 2020 use year. The DVC operator said the 2021 points will automatically be returned to the 2021 use year on any cancellations but it will take several weeks to happen, I have until Oct 31 to bank my 2020 points into 2021 and that I have until March 1 to use the 53 points from 2019 (so no extension of March use year points). I was worried about the 2021 points and confirmed multiple times while on the phone that they would go back to 2021 use year which I believe is an exception to normal process when cancelling a reservation using borrowed points.
True, the banking/borrowing is supposed to be a final transaction, so DVC putting them back to the original use year is definitely an exception. Hope that it really happens for you, and that the CM wasn't mistaken, as I don't see that mentioned anywhere on the DVC site.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
True, the banking/borrowing is supposed to be a final transaction, so DVC putting them back to the original use year is definitely an exception. Hope that it really happens for you, and that the CM wasn't mistaken, as I don't see that mentioned anywhere on the DVC site.
It’s definitely not on the site. I confirmed it 3 times with him and he knew the reservation was for August and not during the official cancellation period. I even stressed that I was concerned with getting my points returned to the 2021 use year and he said they are doing that now for cancellations. Unless he just straight up lied to avoid me trying to ask for an exception it seems like they have modified the policy. It makes sense considering I’m not guaranteed a park reservation, park hours and attractions are limited and some resort amenities could be very limited. I was booked for part of my stay at BCV but it looks like the main pool won’t be open at least for now and maybe not in August either. I could see them extending the closure exceptions through the period where there are limits to park capacity or while resorts aren’t fully open.

nickys

Premium Member

Yes, that is happening.

Initially they stated that would happen for those cancelling reservations affected by the closure.

But they then said it would happen to all reservations that were cancelled “whilst the policy is in force”. I got all my 2021 points put back when I cancelled my Christmas / New Year trip. It did take 25 days to happen though. Some people reported managing to get a CM to do it on Chat, but I never had any luck with that. I cancelled on May 1st, and the Chat was a couple of days before. I had asked because I’d read it on another forum.

When they announced the borrowing restriction I think it was updated somewhere. I’ll see if I can find it.

nickys

Premium Member
So I did find this, which refers to borrowed points being returned to their original use year. On the DVC site under Policy Changes FAQ.

“When my reservation was cancelled, my borrowed Points were returned to their original Use Year, but One-Time-Use Points that I purchased expired or are still showing in my current Use Year.

Please contact Disney Vacation Club Member Services to have One-Time-Use Points refunded“.

This is an excerpt of something I posted on May 1st:

“I did a DVC chat yesterday. Turns out the new policy on borrowing will work in our favour, but won’t suit everyone.

Whilst the borrowing restriction is in place, if any future reservation uses borrowed points and is cancelled the borrowed points will be returned to their original use year.

Previously this only applied to reservations thru June 30th.

Here’s the chat transcript to confirm:

Larry:
Welcome Home! My name is Larry. How may I assist you today?

Me: Hi Larry, I have a question about a reservation already booked and the new borrowing restriction.

Larry:
I will be happy to answer your question about the new temporary borrowing policy.

Me: We have a Dec use year. We have a stay booked for Christmas 2020 using points from 3 use years(...........) we have to cancel. Will the 2021 borrowed points all stay in our 2020 use year? And can we use all of them to book during our 2020 use year?

Larry:
That is a great question. As long as you cancel your reservation while we are under our modified cancellation policy, any Borrowed Vacation Points will be unborrowed and put back into the Use Year they came from. This will happen automatically within 15 days from when the reservation was cancelled.

Me: I thought the new policy only applied to reservations through to the end of June 2020.

Larry:
Right now, the unborrowing of Vacation Points is being applied to all reservations no matter your travel dates.

Me: That’s great news for us! Thankyou for confirming that policy.

And then I posted this:

Reservation cancelled.

I should say I just went through the new policy and it doesn’t say this. It still says it applies to reservations up until June 30th.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I know allowing some exceptions is going to make availability in the next few years “interesting“ but I do think it’s a fair policy. Between the 50% limit on borrowing 2022 points into 2021 and the fact that some people may still be either uncertain about travel next year or still suffering financially from the lockdown and recession it may be more of a 2022 problem. If people bank their 2021 points or “frequent borrowers“ like me don’t borrow 2022 into 2021 it may really be 2022 where we see a major point availability crunch. Just thinking out loud.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I know allowing some exceptions is going to make availability in the next few years “interesting“ but I do think it’s a fair policy. Between the 50% limit on borrowing 2022 points into 2021 and the fact that some people may still be either uncertain about travel next year or still suffering financially from the lockdown and recession it may be more of a 2022 problem. If people bank their 2021 points or “frequent borrowers“ like me don’t borrow 2022 into 2021 it may really be 2022 where we see a major point availability crunch. Just thinking out loud.
I agree. I think a lot of people are going to have to understand that for the next few years, you may only have the possibility of reserving at your home resort, and you need to do it as close to 11 months as you can. We have zero problems with that, as we own at SSR and love it. I think the people most affected and upset will be the owners at HH, VB, VGC, and Aulani that may not be able to get much of anything at WDW. The buy where you want to stay couldn't be more true than now!

correcaminos

This has been spelled out in emails from DVC. It's been happening regularly for a while. 2 trips used borrowed points. All 2020 and 2021 points were returned to my account. One in 5 days the other in 2 weeks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
This has been spelled out in emails from DVC. It's been happening regularly for a while. 2 trips used borrowed points. All 2020 and 2021 points were returned to my account. One in 5 days the other in 2 weeks.
They didn’t spell it out very well for me ;). I was very pleasantly surprised that they said they would return my 2021 points to the 2021 use year even though my cancellation was for a stay after the closure period is over. The e-mail they sent said this:

These exceptions only apply to points used to book a stay arriving between March 12 and the end of the Coronavirus closure, for reservations cancelled after February 29.

I wrongly interpreted that to mean that the exception had to be for a stay during the closure. It seems they clarified and are now doing it for any cancelation done during the period where the modified cancelation policy is active. I wonder how long the policy will remain active. Maybe just until June 22 when the resorts open.

correcaminos

They didn’t spell it out very well for me ;). I was very pleasantly surprised that they said they would return my 2021 points to the 2021 use year even though my cancellation was for a stay after the closure period is over. The e-mail they sent said this:

These exceptions only apply to points used to book a stay arriving between March 12 and the end of the Coronavirus closure, for reservations cancelled after February 29.

I wrongly interpreted that to mean that the exception had to be for a stay during the closure. It seems they clarified and are now doing it for any cancelation done during the period where the modified cancelation policy is active. I wonder how long the policy will remain active. Maybe just until June 22 when the resorts open.
Ah I see your point. I would not have read it that way. I do expect this to end soon, which is why I'm trying to decide on our trip in July (rescheduled from our 2 lost ones) soon. I'm not too thrilled with the lack of contact and ideas for moving forward.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member

My guess is until they lift the borrowing restriction. It all ties in with trying to spread the points use.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
My guess is until they lift the borrowing restriction. It all ties in with trying to spread the points use.
Makes sense. I’m an idiot. I read the wording and took it literally without bothering to call (actually today was the first day in a while I had the time to wait on hold). I was looking into a trip to Vero Beach around Presidents’ Day if I was going to eat the points anyway. I have flight credits on Southwest too. Now I’m a little disappointed I won’t “need” to go to Vero Beach ;). I still may swing a few nights there with the 53 points I banked from 2019. Just in a smaller room ;)

nickys

Premium Member
Makes sense. I’m an idiot. I read the wording and took it literally without bothering to call (actually today was the first day in a while I had the time to wait on hold). I was looking into a trip to Vero Beach around Presidents’ Day if I was going to eat the points anyway. I have flight credits on Southwest too. Now I’m a little disappointed I won’t “need” to go to Vero Beach ;). I still may swing a few nights there with the 53 points I banked from 2019. Just in a smaller room ;)
Like I said, it was originally stated it would be for reservations through to the end of June.

I can’t remember where or what I read that made me think I could get the points back, but I then did a chat to check. It was obviously at some point after moaning about losing the points.

Phonedave

In a similar vein, I recently canceled a end of June booking, less than 30 days before check in . Nowhere could I find any information as to if my points would go into restricted status. We knew we had to cancel, so I when ahead an did so. On the very last screen where you actually confirm your cancellation was the message that during this time, reservations canceled with less than 30 days lead time would not go into restricted status, but would go into normal status.

I tried calling before canceling, but I never got anything other than a busy signal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom