Jambo House unavailable for booking through the rest of 2020?

nickys

Premium Member
And now it seems the Soccer teams may also be staying at WDW.

Apart from the whole DVC ramifications, it would be funny if the soccer teams got Jambo and the NBA Coronado.😂😂

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Apart from the whole DVC ramifications, it would be funny if the soccer teams got Jambo and the NBA Coronado.😂😂

Personally If that were so the NBA would be getting the lesser accommodations... but then again I dont know how many 8 foot beds are available either.

correcaminos

I don't know, those new tower rooms are nice!

Well, they can certainly move the cash guests to the Jambo cash rooms. Not sure of the DVC legal side, but Disney can rent rooms for cash that aren't reserved within 60 days of the arrival date. But in this case, they aren't even letting people try to reserve them, and that might be a problem for them if they move cash guests there without giving DVC people at least a chance to reserve them. Jambo has 972 rooms, with only 134 being DVC. Guess we'll see what happens going forward.

I agree that Coronado is a much better option for all the NBA teams, with the conference facilities and all.
Oops to clarify I meant with the DVC portion only. That legality I am not sure of. I won't even pretend to guess. I'd assume they want pretty isolated resorts too so they can really control who goes in and out.

KYDVC

Hi All. I’m new to the board and signed up for this. I have a reservation at JH July 16-26. I’m very nervous by this but I will note that the current dvc site says all dvc sites at wdw will be open June 22. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 681208EC-D8CD-4E2C-ABDC-8A24D4E7B35B.png
    681208EC-D8CD-4E2C-ABDC-8A24D4E7B35B.png
    178.3 KB · Views: 65

nickys

Premium Member
Hi All. I’m new to the board and signed up for this. I have a reservation at JH July 16-26. I’m very nervous by this but I will note that the current dvc site says all dvc sites at wdw will be open June 22. Any thoughts?

Where did you find that? It is worded very specifically, it says “DVC properties”. The Jambo rooms are in the AKL resort property. CCV are too but are specifically listed, as per @helenabear’s post. BWV is kinda half and half, but again is specifically listed.

The front page says they will start re-opening from June 22nd.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/

nickys

Premium Member
I posted this elsewhere yesterday. It is still entirely possible that Option #1 is the explanation.

1. At this point, it could simply be that Jambo is not opening up with the rest, and that they don’t have an opening date yet.

2. I don’t have the figures for the number of points that Disney own at AKL, but is also possible that Disney’s share does mean they can take all the rooms (or all the remaining rooms) at Jambo using their points.

If either 1 or 2 is the explanation, it sucks for members who would prefer to stay at Jambo rather than Kidani but I think it would be legally permitted.

If however the figures don’t stack up, then it would contravene the terms of ownership and I think there are AKL owners who would seriously consider a legal challenge.

KYDVC

Where did you find that? It is worded very specifically, it says “DVC properties”. The Jambo rooms are in the AKL resort property. CCV are too but are specifically listed, as per @helenabear’s post. BWV is kinda half and half, but again is specifically listed.

The front page says they will start re-opening from June 22nd.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/
Thanks for the replies. I got that off of the dvc member site yesterday. I booked JH May 27th, so I would have thought if they were halting reservations (and potentially canceling them) due to the whole place being rented out, they would have known about it by then. Either way, I’m wondering if, and when, they’re going to cancel my accommodations or if they’ll do something else for me here. It will be 5 weeks from my trip this week, so time’s getting tight.

nickys

Premium Member
Thanks for the replies. I got that off of the dvc member site yesterday. I booked JH May 27th, so I would have thought if they were halting reservations (and potentially canceling them) due to the whole place being rented out, they would have known about it by then. Either way, I’m wondering if, and when, they’re going to cancel my accommodations or if they’ll do something else for me here. It will be 5 weeks from my trip this week, so time’s getting tight.
At the moment those with reservations in June are being contacted, I believe.

The fact they are recalling the Mara CMs could support the re-opening of Jambo House when the parks open, perhaps. But right now all you can do is wait and see. Do you have flights booked, that would make it a harder decision?

KYDVC

At the moment those with reservations in June are being contacted, I believe.

The fact they are recalling the Mara CMs could support the re-opening of Jambo House when the parks open, perhaps. But right now all you can do is wait and see. Do you have flights booked, that would make it a harder decision?
I have flights booked, and the kids are excited. We were planning on going in April, then June, and now July. I booked ADRs and FPs 3 times as well as my sons first haircut 3 times and it’s been all for naught. It’s been a crazy Spring, and I just need a little Disney in my year to give me some semblance of normalcy :)

nickys

Premium Member
I suspect Disney's decision to keep the Jambo House DVC closed is due to financial reasons.

Under Governor Ron DeSantis' Phase 1 executive order, rental properties were banned in Phase 1. (Hotels were not.)

His Phase 2 executive order allows rentals to apply for reopening. It does not require them to reopen.

With most of Jambo House dedicated to the hotel, which remains closed, a reopened Jambo House DVC would have operated at a loss.

DVC is likely to have excess inventory until its traditional busy season starts in late September. (Late September to New Years are popular dates for DVC members due to low points-per-night, lighter crowds, and nicer weather). Thus, it's possible that the Jambo House DVC won't reopen for several months.
DVC isn’t a rental property. It’s a timeshare, which were treated differently because there are specific timeshare laws in Florida, and they were not ordered to close.

Technically the DVC part of JH would not operate at a loss, the dues cover all costs. Where it would be tricky would be the shared amenities, where DVC contributes part of the cost.

What it might hinge upon is exactly how the deeds are worded and how dues are apportioned. Do those deeded at Jambo pay solely for Jambo costs, or are Kidani and Jambo calculated as one?
- If it’s counted as one resort, and Disney own enough points to cover the cost of every JH villa then they can keep it closed or use those rooms themselves.
- If it’s counted as one resort and Disney don’t own enough points to cover the cost of every JH villa, then they can use any unbooked rooms for the next 60 days, but would have to open up booking more than 60 days ahead once an opening date is set.

For the moment I am prepared to wait and see what happens. It may still be a simple case of no re-opening date. And I’m not an AKL owner so I can observe without being directly affected. But if this turns out to be what is rumoured, then expect things to get very interesting.

nickys

Premium Member
Thanks for the correction. Executive Order 20-87 explicitly states:
This directive shall not include the following:​
1. Hotels, motels, inns, resorts, non-transient public lodging establishments, or time share projects;​

But then what gave Disney the right to close its timeshares?

Certainly, numerous timeshares were closed throughout the state. There must have been an order or statute allowing them to do so. So the question then becomes, what is the state of that order or statute?

Kidani Village and Jambo House are lumped together. By reopening Kidani Village, Disney presumably is satisfying any timestare-related statute.

Those who own explicitly at Jambo House might sue but by the time that makes its way through the courts, Jambo House almost certainly will be reopen.

All good questions! And some will be pursuing legal answers, for sure. I don’t understand the AKL set up. People have deeds for one or other, but they have home resort rights at both. I suspect some may ask for legal clarification on that.

slipperalwaysfits

Well, I can't speak to legalities and don't know quite enough about how DVC operates to add much here, but I did see:

That’s sort of my worry. Jambo has that great lobby and Boma and other stuff to do and see. We were kind of counting on being able to explore the resorts, especially with potentially limited park access.

Disney announced there will be no "resort-hopping," and you can't enter a resort without a dining or a room reservation there."

Just wanted to make sure you saw that. Unfortunately, I don't have the link. But I have a feeling it's accurate.

RememberWhen

Well, I can't speak to legalities and don't know quite enough about how DVC operates to add much here, but I did see:

Disney announced there will be no "resort-hopping," and you can't enter a resort without a dining or a room reservation there."

Just wanted to make sure you saw that. Unfortunately, I don't have the link. But I have a feeling it's accurate.
That’s pretty reasonable. Usually we resort hop with dining reservations, and we don’t go until December, so who knows how things will change between now and then.
I don’t really feel like it’s resort hopping when you can walk between the resorts. Kidani and Jambo are two parts of the same resort.

nickys

Premium Member

If you look at this specific Dining page it says that if you are staying offsite (ie: a day guest) you must have a reservation (ADR) to visit. For anyone staying onsite it is strongly encouraged, so they have the right to turn you away if you don’t have one. They haven’t totally stopped Resort hopping for onsite guests, but you aren’t guaranteed to be allowed in. I guess it depends how busy the resort communal areas are.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Potential NBA issues aside, I don't think they consider traveling between Jambo and Kidani to be "resort-hopping." It's one resort.

That said, I would love if resort hopping were banned for good.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Potential NBA issues aside, I don't think they consider traveling between Jambo and Kidani to be "resort-hopping." It's one resort.

That said, I would love if resort hopping were banned for good.
Why would you want it banned? People visit other resorts to possibly decide if it's someplace they might want to stay in the future. Now I do understand restricting pool hopping, as I think only resort guests should be able to use those.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Why would you want it banned? People visit other resorts to possibly decide if it's someplace they might want to stay in the future. Now I do understand restricting pool hopping, as I think only resort guests should be able to use those.
Resort lobbies can be overwhelmed just the same as pool areas. Good luck finding a seat to relax in the lobby at Animal Kingdom Lodge around dinner time.

I have flights booked, and the kids are excited. We were planning on going in April, then June, and now July. I booked ADRs and FPs 3 times as well as my sons first haircut 3 times and it’s been all for naught. It’s been a crazy Spring, and I just need a little Disney in my year to give me some semblance of normalcy :)

Aww!! I have my son's first haircut booked for September 1st!!! He's going to look like the Beast if we have to delay..... 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom