Construction restarted at Walt Disney World Resort - What is Actually still on

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I heard that the filming for Guardians ride won't start till they start filming Guardians 3, which has been delayed. So when Guardians 3 starts filming it's up to the producers at what point they fit in the filming of the attraction footage though you'd imagine that won't take long?

Well... let's consider for a moment that there was never going to be a GotG3. Would that mean no filmed sequences of the cast? Not likely. They'd just call each actor in according to a gap in their schedule, put 'em in make-up and do a one-day green screen shoot. (I'm guessing all the other filmed segments were one at a time green screen.)

So, I don't see WDW putting off such an expensive project for an extra year or two waiting for GotG3 to start shooting.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Construction has restarted at WDW. Here's what we know has been restarted. Feel free to contribute knowledge as we learn more and I'll update this post. Let me know what projects I missed too.
ProjectStatus
Cinderella's Castle RepaintingRestarted 6/3
Tron CoasterUnknown
TTC workRestarted 6/3
Grand Floridian Walkway BridgeRestarted 6/3
RatatouilleUnknown
Spaceship EarthUnknown
Play! PavillionUnknown
Space 220Unknown
Epcot EntranceUnknown
Epcot SpineUnknown
Guardians CoasterUnknown
HarmoniousUnknown
Animal Kingdom entranceUnknown
AoA RefurbUnknown
All Star Music RefurbUnknown
SSR RefurbUnknown
Animal Kingdom Lodge RefurbUnknown
ReflectionsUnknown
Star Wars HotelUnknown

Nice list!

Besides the GF walkway and TTC work, there was also work right at the MK entrance.

We've gotten confirmation that Spaceship Earth will open as is in July. Nothing actually started there. And if it does start, not likely until January 2021 (if not pushed off even further).

As far as the Epcot Spine goes, if we do see construction, it'll be unknown what it's for unless one of insiders tells us what's happening definitively. If it's going to simply be paved over with everything planned on indefinite hold, that's actually a new project and not a restart. Then there's the status of Innoventions West: It's standing, but not supposed to be. Will it be razed, boarded up, or repurposed?

I'd make the spine a separate table:

Epcot Entrance transportation configuration [started]
Epcot Entrance walkway (was Leave a Legacy) [started]
Epcot Entrance fountain [started]
Merchandise Renovation (Mousegears) [started]
Dining Renovation (Electric Umbrella) [started]
Hub: Festival Center [not started]
Hub: Fountain [not started]
Hub: Dreamer's Point [not started]
Hub: Wishing Tree [not started]
Hub: Party Area [not started]
Hub: Pave it all over [not started]
Innoventions West: [raze, board, or re-use]
Journey of Water [not started]
Spaceship Earth [start delayed]

Last edited:

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Original Poster
Nice list!

Besides the GF walkway and TTC work, there was also work right at the MK entrance.

We've gotten confirmation that Spaceship Earth will open as is in July. Nothing actually started there. And if it does start, not likely until January 2021 (if not pushed off even further).

As far as the Epcot Spine goes, if we do see construction, it'll be unknown what it's for unless one of insiders tells us what's happening definitively. If it's going to simply be paved over with everything planned on indefinite hold, that's actually a new project and not a restart. Then there's the status of Innoventions West: It's standing, but not supposed to be. Will it be razed, boarded up, or repurposed?

I think that makes a lot of sense; I’ll take a crack at it tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback!

HauntedMansionFLA

They should start to finish up Rat especially. Since it’s so close to completion

I would divert teams to Rat, TRON, Epcot Spine/Entrance and Guardians and continue since those projects are so far along and are unlikely to be affected. They are also “critical” items at least to me.

It is good they started to finish the castle

EDIT: Of course Guardians and the spine could be effected especially the spine but I still think these are critical projects. The crater needs to have something done.
It would be great to get the castle repainted and that equipment out of there.
Hopefully the entrance to Epcot and DAK will be completed before the doors open up.
The spine project is a mess.

HauntedMansionFLA

Nice list!

Great list

WDW Pro

My understanding is that SSE has to have a refurbishment of some significance soon, even if it is tremendously scaled back and delayed. I've spoken with someone who knows the issues very well with the attraction, and there are some things that can no longer be "bandaided".

mergatroid

Well... let's consider for a moment that there was never going to be a GotG3. Would that mean no filmed sequences of the cast? Not likely. They'd just call each actor in according to a gap in their schedule, put 'em in make-up and do a one-day green screen shoot. (I'm guessing all the other filmed segments were one at a time green screen.)

So, I don't see WDW putting off such an expensive project for an extra year or two waiting for GotG3 to start shooting.

No, you're quite right. I was led to believe however that Guardians 3 would be shooting already had the virus not closed so many things down. This being said it's pretty likely that as soon as they're able to start shooting it they will do, so I can't see them shooting the ride footage before then. Again it's just what I read and could be wrong, though they did justify filming both together as a more financially economic way of doing things which kind of makes sense.

Last edited:

Giss Neric

Whatever issues are going on with GOTG3, I just hope that Cosmic Rewind will be a great, one of a kind and innovative story telling roller coaster. Roller coasters in general don't need any other excess stuff as thrill is the most important element of it. I trust Vekoma. I really hope it's really one of the longest indoor coasters. I really hope the backwards launch is dope.

As for the resumption of construction, it's about time. Looking forward to seeing the brand new castle cause it's the only meet and greet I'm interested on doing when I go.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They should start to finish up Rat especially. Since it’s so close to completion

I would divert teams to Rat, TRON, Epcot Spine/Entrance and Guardians and continue since those projects are so far along and are unlikely to be affected. They are also “critical” items at least to me.

It is good they started to finish the castle

EDIT: Of course Guardians and the spine could be effected especially the spine but I still think these are critical projects. The crater needs to have something done.
It’s also worth mentioning budget reassessment comes into it. Even if something is possible, unless it’s approved (again) work won’t restart. It’s not just the human element.

Disstevefan1

My understanding is that SSE has to have a refurbishment of some significance soon, even if it is tremendously scaled back and delayed. I've spoken with someone who knows the issues very well with the attraction, and there are some things that can no longer be "bandaided".

The really should do that scaled back referb NOW and get it over with... Oh wait, that makes too much sense.

huwar18

I was going to say...I have a hard time believing they are waiting for GOTG v3. I don't see them getting the movie to theaters until 2022. I would think the movie wouldn't shoot until early 2021. I guess it could happen. It just depends how far along they are with the ride.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Original Poster
Nice list!

I took a crack at it; let me know if anything still is weird to you. I plan to keep this up as long as people find it useful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom