Coronavirus impact on DVC

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
This was posted in the other thread by @DCBaker but wanted to get some feedback on specific impact to DVC without bogging that thread down.

One interesting thing is the removal of coffee makers from rooms. Would they also remove all kitchen items from villas? Or would DVC be exempt because it’s a timeshare condo? There is not a proposed limit on hotel capacity which is good but distancing of pool chairs could result in shortages.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This was posted in the other thread by @DCBaker but wanted to get some feedback on specific impact to DVC without bogging that thread down.

One interesting thing is the removal of coffee makers from rooms. Would they also remove all kitchen items from villas? Or would DVC be exempt because it’s a timeshare condo? There is not a proposed limit on hotel capacity which is good but distancing of pool chairs could result in shortages.
While we certainly enjoy a good cup of coffee in the mornings when we are there, it would not be a deal breaker for us. We have a trip scheduled in Sept., so will be waiting to see what they end up doing. Since coffee is cheap for the resort, if they take away all coffee makers from the rooms, maybe offer one free cup to every guest that buys breakfast at a quick serve, or unlimited free at a sit down.

nickys

Premium Member

And by serviceware, does that include disposable items? Can they use disposable cups, for example, for people needing a drink of water? Surely you’d have to allow something. Otherwise no paper plates, cutlery etc. How could you eat a take away without them. The DVC resorts like OKW & SSR don’t have enough dining capacity for everyone staying there.

I’d hope DVC would have it’s own guidelines. Tough luck for those in studios though. Just glad I won’t be there until everything is at Phase 3.

Club Cooloholic

And by serviceware, does that include disposable items? Can they use disposable cups, for example, for people needing a drink of water? Surely you’d have to allow something. Otherwise no paper plates, cutlery etc. How could you eat a take away without them. The DVC resorts like OKW & SSR don’t have enough dining capacity for everyone staying there.

I’d hope DVC would have it’s own guidelines. Tough luck for those in studios though. Just glad I won’t be there until everything is at Phase 3.
Coffee makers in regular hotel rooms have always been a bit sketchy when you really think about it. They aren't getting cleaned thoroughly, probably a good rinse in the bathroom sink. I don't see why Keurig style couldn't be still in use considering they are one shots...and the water is boiling hot.
But regular drip....the grossest thing Inwas ever told was how my friend who traveled extensively in Asia said some families would use them to clean their unmentionables... yikes!

Chip Chipperson

Coffee makers in regular hotel rooms have always been a bit sketchy when you really think about it. They aren't getting cleaned thoroughly, probably a good rinse in the bathroom sink. I don't see why Keurig style couldn't be still in use considering they are one shots...and the water is boiling hot.
But regular drip....the grossest thing Inwas ever told was how my friend who traveled extensively in Asia said some families would use them to clean their unmentionables... yikes!

One more reason I'm glad I don't like coffee!

correcaminos

You haven't cleaned a Keurig then have you? Pretty much all can be gross if not cleaned. Just glad we don't do coffee or any real caffeine in the morning.

Phonedave

I don't have one, but then again you can't stuff a pair of socks into a Keurig cup.

I 'detail' our drip pot at home every so often. I tried to do the same thing with a Keurig when we had one - no dice. There are so many little nooks and crannies where stuff goes that you just cannot get into to clean effectively. I have no idea how crud gets in those spots given the sealed nature of the K-cups, but somehow it does.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

So, we never use those in room coffee pots, of ANY brand or make.

Why? Because on several trips, when we DID try to use them, we found old unclean filters full of crap in them - that housekeeping missed.
Just us - we don't touch those germ factory's :(. We wait for Coffee at Breakfast.

NBA Is anyone afraid that the NBA season will be detrimental to DVC members. Is anyone afraid of the lack of action to a state that is opening up? Is anyone afraid of the vast changes at the top of Dis and their lack of action? We are owners first. Should we join together and have our purpose known?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
NBA Is anyone afraid that the NBA season will be detrimental to DVC members. Is anyone afraid of the lack of action to a state that is opening up? Is anyone afraid of the vast changes at the top of Dis and their lack of action? We are owners first. Should we join together and have our purpose known?
  1. I have no fear the NBA will have any impact at all on DVC. Disney has 30,000 hotel rooms not including the many off property ones indirectly connected. The NBA won’t need more than 1 to 2 thousand rooms. They don’t need to touch DVC rooms. The NBA teams want to pay the least they can, that wouldn’t be DVC rooms. If I had a room booked at CSR in July/Aug and my heart was set on staying there I’d be a little worried.
  2. I am not afraid of the lack of action. Disney has plans. The plans are probably still subject to change. When it gets to the point they are ready to open they will announce something, until then we wait.
  3. Same as 2. The executive changes have no impact on the current situation. The Bobs (Iger probably more than Chapek)are making the call on reopening with direct input from the BoD. The guy in charge of P&R now seems to be a positive for the parks overall. I don’t think he gets much of a say on when the parks actually open.
  4. Its always fine to let your voice be known. I’m not sure in this case what exactly we would be saying. Do you want the parks And DVC resorts open now? The DVC resorts open now even if the parks are not? Or something else? Before I agree to grab a pitch fork and storm the castle I need to know what we’re fighting for ;)

correcaminos

Not on DVC availability. Maybe other resorts like CSR. However until we have details on opening from Disney, this is not even a blip on my radar.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The only rooms that Disney could use are those that are either not declared - such as Riviera, or those that are part of the 1-2% of rooms that they keep control over. There is simply no way, contractually, that they can cancel rooms already reserved by DVC members, to sell them for cash reservations to the NBA.

Disney has declared only 97 of the 341 DVC rooms at Riviera. They would be allowed to use not only those 244 rooms, but also any that equal the number of outstanding points yet to be sold. The current declared inventory is 1,930,114 points, and DVC has sold 1,402,612 points as of April. That leaves 527,502 points unsold that Disney can use for cash rooms, but only DVC will know exactly how many rooms that is.

nickys

Premium Member
The only rooms that Disney could use are those that are either not declared - such as Riviera, or those that are part of the 1-2% of rooms that they keep control over. There is simply no way, contractually, that they can cancel rooms already reserved by DVC members, to sell them for cash reservations to the NBA.

Disney has declared only 97 of the 341 DVC rooms at Riviera. They would be allowed to use not only those 244 rooms, but also any that equal the number of outstanding points yet to be sold. The current declared inventory is 1,930,114 points, and DVC has sold 1,402,612 points as of April. That leaves 527,502 points unsold that Disney can use for cash rooms, but only DVC will know exactly how many rooms that is.
And to clarify, those undeclared rooms could not be used by members to book on points either. So it has no impact on us.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster

The NBA wants an isolated resort. No guests allowed in. Aside from the virus concerns they don’t want tons of fans showing up trying to get an autograph or a selfie at the pool with an NBA player. I‘d say there’s zero chance they use Riviera unless WDW stays closed through the NBA season and they don’t open the resort to guests.

Club Cooloholic

And to clarify, those undeclared rooms could not be used by members to book on points either. So it has no impact on us.
Is all this really an actual worry? I hate to say it, but there is no shortage of rooms and housing in the Orlando area, and it is more likely that players will rent a local house than stay at a DVC or hotel room for a month. Just my guess.
Post Edit: I see mention of an attempt to include housing. That could even be trailers provided near the facilities, we have no idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom