HBO Max General Thread (and Guide for Potential Subscribers)

Slpy3270

Original Poster
Since HBO Max is set to launch Wednesday, I think now is the time to make a general thread on all things HBO Max. Movies, shows, news, and potentially even some sports down line, all from WarnerMedia.

First things first: a lot of people seem to be confused about who's eligible for the service and what position pre-existing subscribers to the linear HBO networks or HBO Now are in regarding HBO Max. I've been just as confused, and neither WarnerMedia nor AT&T have helped with the confusion.

I'm going to try to explain, as best as I can, which pre-existing HBO viewers and users are eligible. I will update any information on eligiblity as it comes available.

First, any new or existing subscribers to the HBO NOW that are directly billed to HBO or are billed through select third-party subscribers (as of 5/23/2020: Apple, Google Play, or Samsung) will automatically receive HBO Max upon launch for no extra charge and will see the HBO NOW app replaced with HBO Max. Users who start an HBO Now subscription via gift card will also receive Max upon launch.

In addition, the following cable providers and telecoms have signed on to offer HBO Max as part of their HBO subscription: Verizon Fios, Optimum, Consolidated Communications, WOW!, Atlantic Broadband, RCN, Grande Communications & Wave, MCTV, and Liberty Cablevision of Puerto Rico. Access to HBO Max content will require participating subscribers to sign in through the HBO Max app or website, log in through their supported providers' credentials and create their HBO Max profiles from there.

Second, subscribers to the HBO add-on as part of their Hulu plan will receive HBO Max access upon launch. However, HBO Max content can only be accessed through the HBO Max app, and will not be carried within Hulu itself. Those who wish to get a head start can create an HBO NOW profile under their Hulu subscription. Simply download the app, click on "Sign In with Another Account" and select Hulu on the next screen, enter your Hulu account credentials, and you're all set. This process can also be utilized by Verizon Fios, Optimum, and Consolidated Commuincations customers with HBO as well.

Third, all HBO subscribers to DirecTV's services and AT&T TV will receive HBO Max immediately upon launch. It will also be bundled together with select AT&T wireless and internet plans. Read this article for more information: https://about.att.com/story/2020/hbo_max_launches_may_27.html

And lastly, YouTube TV will offer HBO Max as part of their deal to carry HBO (and Cinemax) under their premium channels. As with Hulu, you must have the HBO Max app to gain access to Max content and create an HBO Max account through your YouTube TV credentials for it to work.

For device support, all Apple and Google-powered devices are supported. The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles will also offer the service. So far, only Samsung smart TVs from 2016 to 2020 will offer the HBO Max app.

Amazon, Roku and Comcast have so far not signed on to provide HBO Max, so HBO subscribers through those services will not have access to Max content.
Dish Network, which has blacked out HBO since 2018, will not be offering HBO Max for its customers any time soon.

HBO Go will not include any Max content as it is a TV anywhere streaming app and not a standalone service. It can only be accessed via signing in to your HBO provider.

If your cable provider is not on the list of partner companies, HBO Max content will not be available for you.

If you are not an HBO or HBO Now subscriber by the launch date, you can either just subscribe to HBO Max on the service's official website, which is currently offering pre-registrations at a discount, or you can subscribe to HBO or HBO NOW via the aforementioned participating services to gain access to Max.

That should help clear things up a bit. Now, let's get chatting!

Last edited:

Slpy3270

Original Poster
Is there any good content coming to HBO Max when it launches?

Hopefully, yes. In addition to many of WarnerMedia's content from its divisions, we also get many of Studio Ghibli's movies and Criterion films. The brand new Looney Tunes shorts also look pleasing.

I get why $14.99 might seem like an insane price for a streaming platform, and it is! But I'm betting the contracts HBO have with cable providers had a hand in that.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Hopefully, yes. In addition to many of WarnerMedia's content from its divisions, we also get many of Studio Ghibli's movies and Criterion films. The brand new Looney Tunes shorts also look pleasing.

Interesting. I do see Anna Kendrick has a new show debuting. Might check that out.

Honestly, there needs to be one set streaming service that has literally everything on it from every studio in existence. Have it be a Spotify for movies and tv shows.

mf1972

after speaking with a directv rep, & reading about hbo max online, it looks like i can get it at no additional cost because of my entertainment package. it’s apparently free if you have the premier package with directv. i’ll see tomorrow whether it’s true or not.

mf1972

i was able to sign up for it this morning at no additional cost due to my directv membership. didn’t have time to scroll through everything yet. looking forward to watching doom patrol

Slpy3270

Original Poster
In case you're wondering why there weren't many widespread issues with HBO Max on launch day....

About 90,000 people downloaded the $15-a-month HBO Max mobile app on Wednesday, its first day, according to the measurement firm SensorTower Inc.

That number is far less than the tally for Walt Disney Co.’s Disney+, which attracted 4 million mobile users on its launch day back in November, according to SensorTower. And more than 300,000 people downloaded the short-form streaming service Quibi on its first day in April. A spokesman for AT&T’s WarnerMedia, the division that runs HBO Max, said the figure isn’t accurate but didn’t provide a different one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom