So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
So, I wasn't actually able to finish this one, but...

The Elevator of Elevators: A History of Elevators!

A new pre-show will be added to the expanded and updated Motion Pavilion at Epcot in 1996. A multi-part expansion and revitalization to the Pavilion featuring a new Circle-Swing flat ride (Like Golden Zephyr at DCA) themed to the history of Air Travel and a new boat tour of the World Showcase Lagoon (featuring comical narration) themed to the history of boats. All to round out the pavilion anchored by a newly revitalized World of Motion which shows the history of automobiles.

The Elevator of Elevators: A History of Elevators! Is a way to enter the newly expanded pavilion serving as a pre-show to the entire experience rather than just for one ride. Guests board an elevator that has windows and as they ride it they see the history of elevators right before their eyes accompanied by the same tongue and cheek narration that made World of Motion such a special ride. At the end, guests get to see the world on a whole new level as they look out across World Showcase Lagoon and Future World from an observation deck on the roof of the expanded pavilion space. The queue lines for World of Motion and the boat ride both wind down back to ground level to enter the rides, then guests can either exit the pavilion from ground level or wind back up to the observation deck. The ride back down in the elevators for those that choose to return to the observation deck after their rides showcases an imagined future for what elevators can be!​

Last edited:

NigelChanning

I'm up front about all my illegal activities. I also commit arson regularly.
FEC51893-B5BA-45C5-B0CE-7DA0004BEB49.jpeg

EmFromPlanetEarth

Alice In Wonderland: Down The Rabbit Hole
*rough draft*

situated to the right of the mad tea party in the magic kingdom, located on part of the former speedway is the preshow to a new version of the Alice in wonderland dark ride in Disneyland.
Visitors enter through a “painted lady” Victorian house, colored to compliment the paint job of the neighboring mad tea party.
38D6FD1B-0903-47FF-AB51-66538095257D.jpeg

Not unlike the Haunted mansion, guests enter the Victorian house into a octagonal room, albeit with a much simpler light blue wallpaper.
The doors behind them close, and Alice’s voice plays through speakers. “My journey through wonderland began when I followed the rabbit down the rabbit hole. Then, all of the sudden, I fell!”
Suddenly, the wallpaper peels away, to reveal the rabbit hole, with the help of projection effects. Guests can see Alice fall along the rabbit hole along with them.
8554BA76-B6D9-4331-9C85-07F643060E9F.jpeg

The floor shakes to simulate movement, as the guests continue to fall down the rabbit hole.
Alice continues to speak: “down, down down, I fell. It felt like it went on forever, until suddenly I landed in a strange room.”

C6F6568B-D6A4-4B4A-B3C9-655C878C0D4F.jpeg

Doors then open to reveal a room based on the eat me drink me room from the movie. From here, the guests “shrink down” and then board caterpillars like in the Disneyland one, except this one is completely indoors, and there are new scenes to make up for the loss of the rabbit hole scene, including a caucus race scene.

Last edited:

EmFromPlanetEarth

QotD: Pitch a Disney+ series. Connected to a pre-existing IP? Original story? Adaptation of a story Disney hasn't retold before? Let's hear it.
I think a spin off of gravity falls following Ford during the time he spent in the portal would be cool! Of course something would probably have to be worked out, since Alex Hirsch currently has a deal with Netflix, but I think it could work out. A more adult oriented, Darker show, with Ford being an intergalactic criminal, not unlike rick from Rick and morty.

DashHaber

Let me just say first: the idea of this round is really interesting, and an inspired idea for a prompt. It definitely got me thinking, and in this case, I decided on a pre-show for a 3D motion-based dark ride (like The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man) inspired by the popular anime series My Hero Academia. Now, let me offer the set-up for My Hero Academia: Hero's Pursuit.

ap,550x550,16x12,1,transparent,t.u7.png

Exterior and Queue: Guests will find themselves outside of a sleek convention hall-style structure, known as the Nabu Expositon Center. Banners on the exterior walls advertise the Hero Exposition, with All Might proudly displayed on the banners. Winding their way through the convention’s halls, they see advertisements for all sorts of panels and demonstrations that will be held during this convention. Some TVs even run news segments, some discussing the event and others running news about the League of Villains. After passing through a security scanner, guests will step into an elevator.

Elevator-Display-Sign-Toronto-Canada.jpg

Pre-show: The elevator’s design is thoroughly modern, with TV monitors in the room along with a security camera and signal light in the corner. It looks almost as much like a safe room as it does an elevator. Once everyone is in and the doors are closed, guests feel a rumble as if the elevator is going up. The TV monitors, which had been running through a loop of the Exposition Center’s logo, come to life as All Might appears on the screens.

all-might-3.jpg

(All Might, displayed as example)

“Welcome, everyone! Yes, I am here, ready to welcome you to the Hero Exposition!,” he says, beaming with his signature smile in his powered-up state. Some of the monitors begin to run clips from My Hero Academia showcasing super-powered battles, as he continues, “Ever since the first Quirks appeared in our world, there have been those who sought to use their gifts for evil. However, they have been met by those who use their Quirks for justice! I’m sure you have seen these incidents for yourself, from old pros like myself to the next generation of heroes, trained at schools like U.A. High School.”

The monitors cut back to All Might, as he leans toward toward the camera, with a more serious expression. “We know that things have been tough lately. The League of Villains has been trying to put fear into good-hearted citizens like yourself. Well, we’re here to show that there is nothing to fear!” His attitude regains the earlier light-hearted air, as he continues, “With the aid of the Hero Public Safety Commission, hero agencies, and numerous companies, we have assembled the Hero Exposition! Here, you’ll witness all the latest technological developments and advancements to make our world safer, along with seeing students from our proudest hero schools demonstrate their skills. Yes, this very day, you will see us take to heart that proud motto: go beyond, plus ul…”.

Mid-sentence, the screens flicker and cut to a warning notice. The signal light comes to life as guests feel the elevator shake and seem to “stop”. The feed cuts back to All Might, talking to a police officer. He turns back to the screen and says, “Guests, I am afraid today’s Exposition will have to be cut short. The League of Villains has attacked.” The elevator starts “moving” again, this time feeling like it’s heading down fast. Some of the monitors show fighting going on in the convention center, giving a preview of the villains to come. One screen is still focused on All Might as he continues, saying, “Do not be afraid. We heroes will hold them off. You’re heading now to the basement level, where we have evacuation transports waiting in the garage to get you to safety. Some of U.A.’s top students will help you and explain more about the situation.” All Might begins to run off-screen, as the feed on all monitors switches to a garage where Izuku Midoriya is looking at someone off-screen.

izuku-midoriya-64812.jpg

(Izuku Midoriya, displayed as example)

“Wait, he said what?,” he asks, before turning to the screen and realizing he’s on. He shrieks for a small moment, before regaining his composure. Behind him, U.A. students like Tenya Iida and Bakugou Katsuki are talking to police officers as Midoriya says, “Y-yes. As All Might said, we have evacuation vehicles waiting to transport you to safety. In addition, there will be safety goggles available in case of any falling debris.” Bakugou turns, noticing the screen. He walks towards Midoriya, who continues, “We’ll follow along to offer protection. So, when the elevator comes to a stop and the doors open, if you would please line up in an orderly fashion and…”. Bakugou shoves him off-camera mid-sentence, yelling at the screen, “MOVE IT, YA NERDS!”. The feed cuts out, changing back to the Expositon Center’s logo as the elevator “stops” and the doors open.

8bcedc65ba11b99f2988e4c54a31997d.jpg

(Bakugou Katsuki, displayed as example)

Guests walk out into the loading area, resembling a garage, as they pass by a bin for picking up their 3D glasses. While Tenya Iida offers safety information, guests head to the loading dock and hop into the evacuation transport, ready to take part in a 3D motion-based dark ride adventure.

Basketbuddy101

As previously mentioned, this was my favorite project. Make sure you watch the video at the end of the project for a virtual walthrough/ridethrough of some of the queue and the entire elevator sequence. Would also advise to watch it in 1080p for the best quality experience. And now I present...
Batman: Speed of Knight
6268b97b4f3af43fcef3561f32d9a924.jpg

Batman: Speed of Knight is a sophisticated dark ride and simulator hybrid attraction in which guests of eight board the iconic Batmobile on a fast-paced voyage through the gritty streets of Gotham City. The attraction is based primarily on Batman: The Animated Series, and while the events of the attraction's story take place years later in Bruce Wayne's life (later adventures with the Justice League), the entire aesthetic of the queue, pre-show, and attraction are inspired directly by the iconic show. Guests are brought to Wayne Manor itself and allowed the privilege of seeing the Batcave for themselves. This privilege, of course, is not granted lightly. The attraction's story explains that guests are esteemed, highly-trained members of the Justice League Reserve Team, sworn to preserve the sacred identity of Bruce Wayne, just as other members of the league such as Clark Kent and Diana Prince have done. Upon entering the mansion and winding along its many gothic rooms, guests are led into a large library, Bruce Wayne's library to be specific.

DYmbaaR.jpg

The library, a decadent room similar in scale to the lobby in Hollywood Studios' Tower of Terror attraction, features a large window on one end, with a digitally-projected night glowing ominously in the background. A large desk near the center of the room plays a radio dramatization broadcast of 'The Gray Ghost,' which fans of the show will recognize as Bruce Wayne's childhood television hero. A newspaper planted on the same table features a headline concerning the death of Bruce's parents. Other features, such as a large fireplace on the far end of the room and large minimalist works of art hanging on the walls help to give the library a look that is true to the show. On the end of the room opposite to the fireplace stand two bookcases, with a familiar clock nestled in between. Guests are divided into groups facing one of the two elevators, both of which slide horizontally to reveal a secret passage behind them, revealing a metallic hallway quite distinct from the rest of the manor. Guests are ushered into the hallway by the voice of Alfred. Each bookcase leads guests into one of two elevators, both of which are exactly the same, much like the way the Haunted Mansion features two elevators for capacity purposes.

After making their way down the hallway, guests are met with a final pair of metal doors concealing an elevator. Soon, the doors open, and guests excitedly enter a squared bronze elevator, decorated with wrought iron features, brushed metal rivets, and a grimy stone floor. The gaps in each panel allow view of surrounding practical rockwork, beautifully carved and dimly lit to give the impression of a dank cave. The intoxicating smell of moisture, which some guests might compare to the smell of water in Pirates of the Caribbean's queue, engulfs the air as cool breezes make the elevator feel slightly cold. Droplets of water can be heard faintly behind the buzzing and beeping of the computerized gantry lift preparing to send guests hundreds of feet below into the depths of the Batcave. As guests admire the weathered elevator, the doors in which they entered from close slowly as the lights dim.

Unlike most pre-show 'elevators' such as the ones found in Escape From Gringotts or Journey to the Center of the Earth, this elevator is a functional one. Guests are very much moving downward into a basement show building, albeit in a manner that creates the illusion of traveling hundreds of feet below ground level as opposed to only a few stories. This elevator sequence is, in fact, designed to put its predecessors to deep shame, and it starts as soon as the elevator begins its descent. After passing through a brief tunnel, which is presented as a practical effect, guests see four stone pillars ahead of them, also practical. Behind the pillars, however, sits a massive projection screen depicting the far reaches of the Batcave. The vast majority of guests can't even begin to explain the sensation; how is this effect so compelling, so realistic? Expert theme park visitors would recognize that this illusion is not new. In fact, it's over 20 years old, at least in terms of its use in theme park attractions.

ndHCNpb.jpg

Spiderman.png

The illusion can be traced to Islands of Adventure's Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man attraction in which guests feel that they are climbing several stories upward toward the surface of a skyscraper; the illusion is simply presented backwards, with the elevator traveling downward instead. The illusion is also similar to the drop sequence in Rise of the Resistance, in which two vehicles share the same dome screen. The scale and complexity of this particular sequence, however, is very much grander and more elaborate than either of these predecessors. The elevator moves downward at a constant speed with guests inside. As they move downward, however, various pieces of 'stacked scenery' move upwards. By fusing practical moving sets with the IMAX dome screen and a mobile elevator, along with wind effects, sound effects, lighting effects and voiceover, guests are treated to a pre-show that may be worth the price of admission alone. Along their voyage to the bottom floor, guests will encounter highly-detailed rockwork, layered in such a way to give the illusion of endless depth, narrow tunnels, and even a bat nest, where gleaming yellow eyes glare menacingly from the dark crevices. Moments later, the elevator reaches the bottom floor, giving guests their first view of the fully-realized Batcave, complete with the Bat Computer and sleek Batmobile. The entire Batcave is fully-practical, and as guests exit the elevator, they might begin to wonder if the formal ride sequence will even top the pre-show elevator sequence.

Elevator Shaft(s) Diagram:
naHUzv4.png

Virtual Walkthrough/Ridethrough:

Last edited:

PerGron

Not a submission but an interesting thing nonetheless. I learned today that my boss has an original Disneyland It’s a Small World Boat that’s just rotting in the woods around the zoo. I’m gonna look for it on Monday and I’ll post pics if I can find it

Outbound

OutboundTitle.png

TheGreatMuppetVator.png

Dear Top Secret Disney World Employee,

I have completed Mr. Fozzie Bear's request for his website. Even copied word for word all his personal dialogues. I understand this attraction is top secret, and we must not unveil it until at just the right moment. Our ruse with building a Galaxy's Edge Immersive Hotel -- all a ruse, and we must not let the public know. If they had any idea what we were planning with what is sure to be a hit (The Fozzie Bear movie, have you seen those "interesting" reviews from the NY Times?) then we must act secretly yet deliberately. So here it is, written up and ready for the eventual release. This is going to be the next big thing and we need to get this preshow going as quickly as possible. Then we can get to the ride itself.

Sincerely,
Top Secret Disney World Employee

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom