Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

BrianLo

What about a live TV add on, which includes Disney competitors?

Aside from the nature of the content, there's another reason why Hulu sort of has to remain separate: It is a Live Broadcast TV Streamer.

Admittedly I constantly don't think about that piece from the outside. Hulu cannot carry any live TV platform in Canada whatsoever. They won't have broadcasting rights. ESPN+ will also never be a thing. Which is good I guess since I wouldn't get any value out of it personally.

There is of course a chance that things end up looking different for us here as a result. Whether or not that means a more unified service. Hulu will be pretty lean compared to the US.

Tony Perkis

Omg omg omg!!

giphy.gif

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Aside from the nature of the content, there's another reason why Hulu sort of has to remain separate: It is a Live Broadcast TV Streamer.

Hulu carries not just Disney content, but content from competitors that Disney has no control over, and it can be streamed live. Never mind Fox's library of R-rated films, you now have Disney's Hulu carrying TV-Mature content including channels and shows whose politics and lifestyle Disney would not want to be associated with even more so that a theatrical film with R content for the sake of cinematic art.
With Hulu Live Disney has effectively become its own cable company. So you handle that just like any other cable company does today, parental controls.

PiratesMansion

It might be as simple as not owning the rights to the original show though. Is it streaming anywhere else?

To my knowledge it has never streamed anywhere. The final two seasons have not even seen a DVD release.

It's not entirely clear what the rights situation is based on my limited perusing of the internet. I'm sure there are some music copyright issues at play. While it seems clear Disney holds the rights to the Muppet characters, that doesn't of course necessarily extend to Muppet projects (which is why Muppets Take Manhattan is not on D+).

It just seems like such an oversight that either the show must be entangled in tons of rights issues, Disney really doesn't care, or some combination of both. It's definitely something that is very conspicuous in its D+ absence, IMO.

Sharon&Susan

To my knowledge it has never streamed anywhere. The final two seasons have not even seen a DVD release.

It's not entirely clear what the rights situation is based on my limited perusing of the internet. I'm sure there are some music copyright issues at play. While it seems clear Disney holds the rights to the Muppet characters, that doesn't of course necessarily extend to Muppet projects (which is why Muppets Take Manhattan is not on D+).

It just seems like such an oversight that either the show must be entangled in tons of rights issues, Disney really doesn't care, or some combination of both. It's definitely something that is very conspicuous in its D+ absence, IMO.
I remember hearing that it may've been the Star Wars episode that caused the Season 4 DVD set to be indefinitely postponed past 2010. Now that Disney owns both 20th Century Fox and Lucasfilm, there doesn't shouldn't be any problems in season 4 that releasing the first 3 seasons didn't have (licensed music and the celerity guests.)

Captain Barbossa

This popped in my mind after seeing/reading comments about the Muppets, but is there any chance that The Muppets Take Manhattan and Muppets from Space will ever make it on D+? I know that neither were/are “Disney Muppets”, but it’d still be nice to have them on there. I also find it weird that the Muppets Wizard of Oz isn’t on D+ either. It was a television movie, but it was/still is Disney.

Animaniac93-98

This popped in my mind after seeing/reading comments about the Muppets, but is there any chance that The Muppets Take Manhattan and Muppets from Space will ever make it on D+? I know that neither were/are “Disney Muppets”, but it’d still be nice to have them on there.

No, probably for the same reasons Spider-Man: Homecoming and Spider-Man: Far From Home will not be on Disney+.

*Cinderelly*

In the Parks
No
What I have liked with Disney+ so far is they continue to be announcing things that are going to be added and some of that is new material. Now some of the original stuff already on there might not suit everyone, but some it quality stuff. I know for certain with the movies I have watched and the original series and even the other stuff, I have gotten my monies worth so far.

sedati

I wonder what Disney+ could announce to compete with the Snyder cut coming to HBO Max.
The closest would be the Lord and Miller cut of "Solo." Which the editor said was uneditable. Also, the Snyder version of Justice League looked terrible. As did the Snyder cut of Batman V Superman. I know a very vocal group wants this cut, but I'm not sure how large a group wants this. An interesting experiment, though I wonder how truthful it will be. Snyder will have seen how some things went over that were his, but could be corrected in hindsight.

LSLS

Currently as of today, the isn't an actual single service. Its still three different services, just under a single bundled price if you choose to purchase it this way.

My point is that Disney is now actively marketing Hulu as one of its "Disney Streaming" services. So this idea that Hulu is separate and independent is gone. Hulu is Disney, Disney is Hulu, they are one company. So this idea that Hulu and Disney+ content can't live under the same roof is an outdated concept that even Disney themselves is moving away from.

My opinion, ESPN would make the move first if they decided to go that route. I still think it doesn't make sense. Beyond having the Rate R content in the same platform (And Hulu does a bad enough job separating them), and the fact that I don't really see the need to do so, my guess is there are enough people who only have one or the other. nd they dont want to risk moving people on. Disney+ is doing so well, I don't think it makes a ton of sense to redesign and incorporate all new sections for a while.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom