Ghost on Sleeping Beauty Castle?

Oddysey

Original Poster
This video was captured 10 years ago and is one of few where I do not see an easy explanation as to what was captured in the footage. Was there ever any explanation as to what could have caused the appearance of a ghost watching the fireworks? Any and all thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This video was captured 10 years ago and is one of few where I do not see an easy explanation as to what was captured in the footage. Was there ever any explanation as to what could have caused the appearance of a ghost watching the fireworks? Any and all thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Errr... where?

Edit... holding the spire? Maybe he got woken up?

Oddysey

Original Poster
Errr... where?

Edit... holding the spire? Maybe he got woken up?

Sorry I should have provided more info. It first appears around 13 seconds hanging on the spire. Then the camera zooms in for a closer view of the fireworks until it is no longer visible. When the camera zooms back out at around 28 seconds the figure can be seen again standing in the same spot until the end of the fireworks and then vanishes. It is clear that the person holding the camera did not notice the figure while holding the camera and must have noticed it while watching the footage at a later date. Very odd.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
First impression says a show tech where he shouldn't be. But it looks more like engineering in a jump suit.

B3CCBA1E-1ABD-43BF-A2FB-91DBA58448E5.jpeg

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Very well could be, but the figure being translucent and appears to vanish into smoke after the finale rather than walk away normally.

What was the consensus 10 years ago? I don't believe in ghosts so I chalk it up to edited trickery or accidental double exposure. Looks hokey to me. But again.. perhaps I'm bias; like people that go hunting for ghosts managing to find them. It's either A) fake B) some form of Pareidolia or C) dude in jumpsuit that materializes each time a spotlight hits him. Oh or D) Doc Brown. The resemblance is uncanny.

Oddysey

Original Poster
What was the consensus 10 years ago? I don't believe in ghosts so I chalk it up to edited trickery or accidental double exposure. Looks hokey to me. But again.. perhaps I'm bias; like people that go hunting for ghosts managing to find them. It's either A) fake B) some form of Pareidolia or C) dude in jumpsuit that materializes each time a spotlight hits him. Oh or D) Doc Brown. The resemblance is uncanny.

There was no consensus as far as I know. I posted to get an idea of the forums consensus.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It seems like a reflection to me, almost like this was recorded on a TV or something, but just a guess. Would that be human size if they were really on the castle?

Oddysey

Original Poster
It seems like a reflection to me, almost like this was recorded on a TV or something, but just a guess. Would that be human size if they were really on the castle?

Hard to tell if it is human size because I have never been to DL and seen the scale of Sleeping Beauty Castle. However, given that Disney often uses forced perspective, I suspect it is probably human size. Perhaps someone who has been there will have a more accurate answer?

Last edited:

NelleBelle

I have no idea what we are looking at! I can kind of see someone around the 28sec mark moving off to the left (is that what we are supposed to be seeing??) otherwise what the heck is supposedly at 13 sec?? I don’t believe in ghosts and agree that it’s either someone who works there or effects from all the smoke from the fireworks. I’d never in a million year pick that out but then again I’m the one in the group on Kilimanjaro Safaris looking and looking for the animal when everyone is oohing and ahhing! 😂

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Very well could be, but the figure appears translucent and appears to vanish into smoke after the finale rather than walk away normally.
I’d have said they fade into the dark when whatever’s illuminating them from directly below fades out.

But
a) they shouldn’t be there
b) there isn’t usually something to stand on there
c) there isn't usually lighting exactly there for Magical

yensidtlaw1969

Given the architecture of the castle, that's not a spot where a person could practically stand unless they were Philippe Petit.

It's superimposed. Someone's idea of a fun prank.

Oddysey

Original Poster
I’d have said they fade into the dark when whatever’s illuminating them from directly below fades out.

But
a) they shouldn’t be there
b) there isn’t usually something to stand on there
c) there isn't usually lighting exactly there for Magical

I have heard the camouflaged worker story from one of the previous posters, but the above quote is why I brought this up for discussion. It doesn’t seem like a place where someone should or would be able to stand. Even if someone could stand there, a fireworks show seems to be the worst possible time to do so. Also, the way the person “fades into black” demonstrates the best camouflage I have personally ever seen.

Could it be a person standing there? I suppose it could but it does not seem very likely. If it were superimposed, one would think the camera operator would do a better job of keeping the prank in frame, but perhaps not. The image seems to be captured by mistake and in most prank videos there seems to be more care taken to exaggerate the uniqueness of the situation and/or increase tension. Nevertheless, Both suggestions are obviously more likely than a literal ghosts.

Lastly, I can understand why some posters would think this discussion is silly, but with so little happening at the parks, I thought it would be a fun diversion from the typical Coronavirus talk.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have heard the camouflaged worker story from one of the previous posters, but the above quote is why I brought this up for discussion. It doesn’t seem like a place where someone should or would be able to stand. Even if someone could stand there, a fireworks show seems to be the worst possible time to do so. Also, the way the person “fades into black” demonstrates the best camouflage I have personally ever seen.

Could it be a person standing there? I suppose it could but it does not seem very likely. If it were superimposed, one would think the camera operator would do a better job of keeping the prank in frame, but perhaps not. The image seems to be captured by mistake and in most prank videos there seems to be more care taken to exaggerate the uniqueness of the situation and/or increase tension. Nevertheless, Both suggestions are obviously more likely than a literal ghosts.

Lastly, I can understand why some posters would think this discussion is silly, but with so little happening at the parks, I thought it would be a fun diversion from the typical Coronavirus talk.
It doesn’t fade into black as such, more like the light source fades off. But again, no, someone shouldn't be there and it’s an incredibly odd and difficult place to be stood at the best of times.

Oddysey

Original Poster
If it was a ghost....(if there were ghosts)....why would “it” need to hang on to that spire thing?

Good question, however; one would need to be a ghost or interview a ghost to know the answer. I for one have never understood why they appear to walk on floors, stand on surfaces, or even seem to need a surface to stay upright. Why don’t they just sink through the floor or float all the time? Unfortunately, the anatomy, physics, and mannerisms of ghosts is not taught in schools.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom