Iger and Chapek Livid With Lucasfilm

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are plenty of people who are proven commodities that are not a very good fit inevitably. The assumption that they empirically should be was exactly their problem. Hence why I put him in quotation marks though, he's the only one of the lot, other than Favreau, who was mostly qualified.

Regardless of my or your personal stance on the movies, they've had a heck of a lot of director drama. Better to burn them on a single TV episode than a feature film.

Exactly. “JJ is a big Star Wars fan!” I think he’s a student of the money more than the stories...in retrospect.

And the director drama is largely ignored on the Disney side. One replaced in post...one team replaced during principle...and one who quit on creative differences with little hesitation...

That’s on 5 movies...five. And of course the screenwriter fired on the first one.

That’s a bit of a bad average
Sooo...who do we thank for getting Temuera Morrison back into Star Wars?
Huh? What did I miss?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sweet jesus...

The forced backstory of boba was one of the worst things of the crazy prequel era...and of course the bad voiceovers into empire.

So forced and so dim witted.

Boba was a cool bit because you DIDNT know anything about him...he came off cool. Like Akbar...

You don’t kill it.

Yoi...didn’t need this “news”

trainplane3

Sweet jesus...

The forced backstory of boba was one of the worst things of the crazy prequel era...and of course the bad voiceovers into empire.

So forced and so dim witted.

Boba was a cool bit because you DIDNT know anything about him...he came off cool. Like Akbar...

You don’t kill it.

Yoi...didn’t need this “news”
I'm just glad to have Morrison. Where the Fett thing goes...who knows. Still like Morrison regardless. Another crazy rumor is he'll be Captain Rex too.

I'll give them a chance. I was expecting Mando to be a bad show honestly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm just glad to have Morrison. Where the Fett thing goes...who knows. Still like Morrison regardless. Another crazy rumor is he'll be Captain Rex too.

I'll give them a chance. I was expecting Mando to be a bad show honestly.
I hope...

Because lest we forget: boba fett is dead...and we best not get EU novels now

Darkprime

Remember they said way back just because they trashed the EU doesnt mean they couldn't still pick and choose elements from it to use. They did it with Palpatine being a clone and now I guess their gonna borrow the Boba Fett content with him being alive and all.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Remember they said way back just because they trashed the EU doesnt mean they couldn't still pick and choose elements from it to use. They did it with Palpatine being a clone and now I guess their gonna borrow the Boba Fett content with him being alive and all.
That’s throwing gas into a dumpster on fire.

It’s like reverse engineering a comic book franchise.

Imagineer45

I wonder if he considered Filoni like at all maybe he did but he knew he didn't quite have the experience yet.
When KK was made co-chair in 2012, Clone Wars seasons 1-4 was really all Filoni had done. He lacked experience.

Disney has a habit of running its own franchises into the ground through over-exposure and/or lackluster sequels (Pirates, HSM, Narnia, Tron etc).

In hindsight, should we have been surprised they did the same with Star Wars?
I do not think Disney is any better or worse than most major movie studios. While there have been obvious failures, there have been many franchises that have been appreciated and well-run (Marvel, Toy Story, etc.).

Let's look at DC with Warner Bros. The Dark Knight, best comic book movie of all time, became the 6th highest-grossing movie ever when released. Its sequel, which was less well-received but still gained mostly positive reviews, performed even better. They then proceeded to create the biggest mess of an interconnected movie universe using characters more popular than the ones Marvel was using. Universal tanked Jurassic Park with the two original sequels so badly that they rebooted the franchise pretending they did not exist.

Sooo...who do we thank for getting Temuera Morrison back into Star Wars?
I really hope they keep Boba Fett dead and only use him in flashbacks (like they are planning on allegedly doing with Hayden Christensen in the upcoming Kenobi show. Bringing back the dead always weakens the emotional weight of films and does not allow for them to be taken quite as seriously. It only really worked for Maul in the Clone Wars because they needed a more powerful, violent, rage driven, yet logical and compelling, villain that I think they originally intended Grevious to be, but his character turned out to be more weak, cowardly, and sometimes used for comedy. Plus, when Maul returned, they had a few episodes showing him traumatized with PTSD and having to mentally reset, which was needed and something the Clone Wars can do with 22 episode seasons and the Mandalorian cannot with 8 episode seasons.

Animaniac93-98

I do not think Disney is any better or worse than most major movie studios. While there have been obvious failures, there have been many franchises that have been appreciated and well-run (Marvel, Toy Story, etc.).

Disney originally wanted Toy Story 2 to be a direct-to-video sequel. The MCU started before Disney acquired Marvel, and the first several movies were released by Paramount.

Their most successful franchises since 2000, usually, have been the ones were Disney takes a hands off approach and just leaves Pixar, Marvel etc alone.

Disney's attempts to intervene and "fix" The Rise of Skywalker resulted in a movie that got worse reviews and made less money than its predecessor.

Imagineer45

Disney originally wanted Toy Story 2 to be a direct-to-video sequel. The MCU started before Disney acquired Marvel, and the first several movies were released by Paramount.

Their most successful franchises since 2000, usually, have been the ones were Disney takes a hands off approach and just leaves Pixar, Marvel etc alone.

Disney's attempts to intervene and "fix" The Rise of Skywalker resulted in a movie that got worse reviews and made less money than its predecessor.

From what I have heard, Disney c-suite is more hands-on with Pixar than Lucasfilm. Plus, the pre-Disney MCU films (everything before Avengers 1) were not the best. Iron man was good, Iron Man 2 was meh and they had to recast the hero's sidekick due to contract issues, Hulk was so bad they were able to recast the main actor without complaints and never made sequels, Thor was boring, and Captain America was fine but they needed the Russo Bros to revamp the character for the sequel.

Also, I cannot even tell who to blame for RoS. Was is KK? JJ? Disney c-suite intervening? There is no clear consensus.

Animaniac93-98

Plus, the pre-Disney MCU films (everything before Avengers 1) were not the best. Iron man was good, Iron Man 2 was meh and they had to recast the hero's sidekick due to contract issues, Hulk was so bad they were able to recast the main actor without complaints and never made sequels, Thor was boring, and Captain America was fine but they needed the Russo Bros to revamp the character for the sequel.

I said the series started before Disney was involved. The latter movies being better has little to do with Disney's involvement. The Spider-Man movies aren't even Disney's, which shows who is ultimately responsible for their overall quality.

3 different studios have released MCU movies. The common denominator is Marvel, not Disney.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
From what I have heard, Disney c-suite is more hands-on with Pixar than Lucasfilm. Plus, the pre-Disney MCU films (everything before Avengers 1) were not the best. Iron man was good, Iron Man 2 was meh and they had to recast the hero's sidekick due to contract issues, Hulk was so bad they were able to recast the main actor without complaints and never made sequels, Thor was boring, and Captain America was fine but they needed the Russo Bros to revamp the character for the sequel.

Also, I cannot even tell who to blame for RoS. Was is KK? JJ? Disney c-suite intervening? There is no clear consensus.

Does it matter? That’s like prosecuting a RICO case....

The “crime” was committed so individual guilt is irrelevant

Imagineer45

I said the series started before Disney was involved. The latter movies being better has little to do with Disney's involvement. The Spider-Man movies aren't even Disney's, which shows who is ultimately responsible for their overall quality.

3 different studios have released MCU movies. The common denominator is Marvel, not Disney.
Your initial point was that Disney runs their franchises into the ground. I was simply pointing out that is not true across the board, especially compared to other studios. I am not crediting Disney with Marvel's success but rather acknowledging that the quality of their films has improved since the acquisition.

doctornick

I really hope he's Rex or another surviving clone than Boba. I have no problem with Fett but he should remain dead in the Sarlacc. One of the great things about The Mandalorian is how it was relatively independent of the other storylines in the series. The occasional Easter egg is one thing, but too much connecting to established lore takes away from the uniqueness and ability to grow of the series.

Also, isn't season two already done filming? Why is this news coming out now? Or is it for a future season?

Tony Perkis

Waititi has less cred than abrams did to this point...the fact he’s a comedian makes me a tad nervous. That’s not what’s missing.

I don’t think the director matters as much as who writes the damn story. It cannot be mandated from Burbank and then under total control of the director...

That is basically a twist on the same arrangement as the prequels. Results based industry.

Needs to be story driven before any shenanigans for eye candy.
At the time they were both hired by Lucasfilm? Waititi has significantly more credibility than Abrams. Abrams credits are based on his ability to manage big budgets and his direction of Star Trek, little else.

Tony Perkis

Well...I wouldn’t say either are “unaccomplished”

Abrams had a major screenplay to his credit at age 25...very successful Tv shows...and contributions to huge Hollywood franchises prior...

Then he wrote a script about Luke Skywalker with no Y chromosome who goes to a “bigger” Death Star 😳

Jojo rabbit beefs up waititi’s resume substantially...but that was just a few months ago
I'm not convinced you know Waititi's filmography. What We Do in the Shadow, Flight of the Concords, Thor Ragnarok, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, What We Do in the Shadows TV, Jojo Rabbit, Boy....his filmography is significantly better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom