Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

BasiltheBatLord

Kinda off-topic, but just out of curiosity does anyone have specific details on the business arrangement between TWDC and OLC? Does TWDC get percentage of ticket sales from TDR? Or do they profit purely off of licensing? Seems like if they're putting the time and money into designing attractions for the resort they'd get more out of it than just licensing fees.

Animaniac93-98

Kinda off-topic, but just out of curiosity does anyone have specific details on the business arrangement between TWDC and OLC? Does TWDC get percentage of ticket sales from TDR? Or do they profit purely off of licensing? Seems like if they're putting the time and money into designing attractions for the resort they'd get more out of it than just licensing fees.

I believe it's 10% of revenue and that's their licensing fee. WDI is also paid to do their designs.

It's a sweet arrangement for Disney because they don't spent one cent of their own money. The money they make is pure profit.

SweetDuffy101

I believe it's 10% of revenue and that's their licensing fee. WDI is also paid to do their designs.

It's a sweet arrangement for Disney because they don't spent one cent of their own money. The money they make is pure profit.
In addition Tokyo Disney Resort only gets 100% revenue on food and merchandise.

(Funfact Disney+ Will go live this June on Japan)

BrianLo

That’s one of the primary reasons they are demanding unique attractions. Most of the cost savings of duplication of attractions are beneficial to Disney more than seen by OLC.

OLC of course makes boatloads of money. Even if Disney is an expensive bedfellow I think they both have come to the conclusion it is mutually beneficial instead of doing their own things. Something they were exploring and have backed away from. There is a more than 10% return by getting to use ‘the brand’.

Toni25

That’s one of the primary reasons they are demanding unique attractions. Most of the cost savings of duplication of attractions are beneficial to Disney more than seen by OLC.

OLC of course makes boatloads of money. Even if Disney is an expensive bedfellow I think they both have come to the conclusion it is mutually beneficial instead of doing their own things. Something they were exploring and have backed away from. There is a more than 10% return by getting to use ‘the brand’.
Is it true that there is some kind of deal that other parks CAN NOT replicate their rides or ride systems? Or at least, not for a couple of years?
For example, if Disneyland Paris would want to replicate the Beauty and the Beast attraction, would they be allowed?

PiratesMansion

According to the book Building Magic, Disney gets 10% of admissions revenues and 5% of food/merch revenues from TDR, and that was continued later on when they went to build DisneySea.

That also matches roughly with what I have heard in other threads over the years.

BrianLo

Is it true that there is some kind of deal that other parks CAN NOT replicate their rides or ride systems? Or at least, not for a couple of years?
For example, if Disneyland Paris would want to replicate the Beauty and the Beast attraction, would they be allowed?

I'm not sure what sort of agreement OLC reaches with Disney. But if they are fronting full R&D price, I'm sure they have an agreement.

The commonly cited exclusivity agreement tends to be Hong Kong. Which has always provided a five year world or Asia-Pacific exclusive on most projects. Primarily why Shanghai did not open with a Toy Story Playland.

Miss Bella

Fingers crossed. I pushed my trip back to September....for now. In theory I can push it back again cost free, so not the end of the world but I would love to be able to go this year, I am quietly confident it'll be okay.

Bit down today though, I was meant to be in Tokyo as we speak doing the go-karting in Akihabara....instead I am at home, and the weathers rubbish. LOL.
Do you live in the U.S? I'm getting ready to buy tickets to Tyoko. I'd love to go in November, but I'm a little nervous about the travel restrictions so I'm thinking of early March.

I'm not going to see Disneyland although I might spend a day there. We plan on spending about 10 days touring Japan.

Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated. I've also considered early December, but not sure about the weather.

BasiltheBatLord

Just reported that the “mid-May” timeline of making a decision on reopening has been postponed again.

OLC is almost certainly not going to do anything until the state of emergency is lifted.

Brummyboy92

Do you live in the U.S? I'm getting ready to buy tickets to Tyoko. I'd love to go in November, but I'm a little nervous about the travel restrictions so I'm thinking of early March.

I'm not going to see Disneyland although I might spend a day there. We plan on spending about 10 days touring Japan.

Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated. I've also considered early December, but not sure about the weather.

Na, I live in the UK. My trip is not solely based around Disney, although I really want to go whilst there. I do think they will reopen in time with restrictions in place, my concern though is buying the tickets. I had real trouble trying to buy them directly from the Tokyo Disney website, and was just going to wait till I got out there to buy them. But if there will be a limit on numbers entering the park, I'm worried by the time I get there tickets would be all booked up.

I'm not going to sweat it to much though, if worst comes to worst I'll push it back to March 2021. I'd rather not as it would be delaying other important things I've got going on in my life, but I guess 6 more months ain't the end of the world, just frustrating.

Miss Bella

Na, I live in the UK. My trip is not solely based around Disney, although I really want to go whilst there. I do think they will reopen in time with restrictions in place, my concern though is buying the tickets. I had real trouble trying to buy them directly from the Tokyo Disney website, and was just going to wait till I got out there to buy them. But if there will be a limit on numbers entering the park, I'm worried by the time I get there tickets would be all booked up.

I'm not going to sweat it to much though, if worst comes to worst I'll push it back to March 2021. I'd rather not as it would be delaying other important things I've got going on in my life, but I guess 6 more months ain't the end of the world, just frustrating.
I'd like to see the new Mario land. When does that open.? I'm more concerned about travel restrictions. I also have tickets to LHR in August that I may have to push back. I have plans for WDW in July that I pushed back from April. Everythings up in the air. I think I'll probably stick to March for Japan. I don't want to be disappointed again.

Robbiem

Are you planning to stay at the resort? if you stay in one of the on site hotels you get guaranteed entry. We‘ve stayed at the Sheraton and the Hilton and used this, we found the Sheraton best. You can check in next to the station at the welcome centre and buy passes get your room key etc and they take your bags straight to the room so you can go to the parks. No need to buy online which can be a pain with Japan

Tyler161

Kind of another off topic question, but I was wondering if anyone knows all of the land that OLC owns at the perimeter, or at off site of the resort? I know there are a couple off site resorts a little ways away from TDR, but are there any other parcels of land that the company owns?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom